Start by marking “The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool (The Highly Effective Detective, #3)” as Want to Read:

The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool (The Highly Effective Detective #3)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  22 reviews
In this third installment of Richard Yancey's Teddy Ruzak P.I. series, Teddy's latest client is a good looking dame with long blond hair and great gams. Her husband, she suspects, is stepping out on her, and she hires Teddy to nail the cheater. Then the client disappears. Is this a divorce case - or a murder?
Published March 2nd 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published January 2nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highly Effective Detective Plays the Fool

Hobart
really enjoyed the first two installments in this series, but Yancey kicked it up a few notches here. The last two pages sealed the deal, I'm with this series for the long haul.

Yancey took care of a couple of dangling plotlines that were s...tarting to get tired in a very effective way, along with his best mystery yet. I'd totally sell out for him if he'd get rid of Teddy's secretary once and for all--can't stand this woman.
Anne
May 17, 2010 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of humorous mysteries
Shelves: mysteries, humor
This is the third book in the Highly Effective Detective series featuring bumbling detective Teddy Ruzak who solves crimes in Knoxville, Tennessee. Teddy's distinctively meandering speaking style reflects his highly ethical, curious, but undisciplined mind and oblique approach to life and crime-solving. Despite the fact that Teddy keeps failing the P.I. licensing exam and the state tries to shut his business down, he keeps taking cases: he tells his beautiful secretary Felicia,
"The ironic thing
Kristi
I was at the library, and happened to walk by a shelf displaying this book. Boy, am I glad I did. This was a very witty, funny mystery story. It really had me laughing throughout, the dialog was wonderful. This book does not use the word "chapter," but instead calls them "scenes." While I was reading, I did feel like I was watching a fun detective show on TV.

Our PI, Teddy Ruzak, is hired to catch a woman's husband cheating. When his client goes missing, Teddy wonders: did she leave on her own, o
Amy
As sharply witty and fast paced as any episode of The West Wing, THEDPTF is a great and speedy read. Lots of plot twists (some of them out of the clear blue) make this a very fun mystery to follow. Teddy Ruzak is a whiz-banger of a character. He's quite the improbable detective who's not really a detective (he keeps flunking the test) and in a Columbo-esque fashion appears to be a bit of a bumbler. He has a dog who hates him (but loves everyone else), a really hot secretary (who's involved with ...more
Kathy Chung
this is the second book of this author which I have read. The first was five years ago bought from bbws. since then I've been on a look out for works from this author in each bbws.

although this book is classified as mystery or detection related genre, I find that it's not as intense. it's more like "The Monk" + "forest gump" sort of thing.

I love the word play in this book. Some are quite humorous.

the downside of this book is just too many coincidence that helped him coming to the conclusion on
Dave
I liked this book and this character. i will read more of these. Very funny and entertaining.
Susan
Knoxville's Teddy Ruzak is under pressure on several fronts: his unloving dog violates his lease, the state regulators are after him for working without a license, and his new client, Katrina Bates, is out to prove tht her brilliant, wealthy, handsome husband is cheating on her. She phones to tell him she'll join him at lunch, and then disappears. Teddy is sure that something happened to her, but he doesn't have enough evidence to convince the police. Then Yancey's twisty plot takes off-and Ruza ...more
Edith
The writing is very clever and witty. It is sometimes very hard to follow but maybe the author intended it to be that way. I very much enjoyed the humor in this book and Teddy Ruzak is a character that you can't help but like.
Stven
Nov 12, 2010 Stven rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stven by: library
For me there's a rough dividing line between a 2-star book and a 3-star book that hovers around the question "Would I read another book in this series?" This book doesn't quite pass that test. The schtick is fulfilled, and up to a point it works, enough to get me to read to the ending, but I wouldn't take on another 200 pages of it. Some amusement, no real laughs. Didn't quite buy all the characters.
Suka
Funny and clever. Sometimes like reading an Abbott & Costello routine. Yancey could be a comedy writer, he's that good.

A complicated plot, well thought out. Tricky -- you think the story is over, but it's not.

Once again, I find myself reading a book in the middle of a series. I just started reading #4 "The HED Crosses the Line"), and now I have to search for numbers one and two!
Albert Riehle
You know what? I really liked this book. It's quirky and dialouge heavy and probably not for everyone but it was for me. I haven't seen such witty repartee since Dawson and Joey left the creek. The lead character is lovably dorky, the plot is a great vehicle to deliver him to the world and the crisp pace works well to make for a highly entertaining book. Read it.
Vicki Cline
This is the third book following the adventures of would-be detective Teddy Ruzak (if only he could pass the licensing exam). As usual, it's funny and sweet, with twists and surprises.
Therese
Feb 25, 2011 Therese rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Therese by: read the others in the series
Shelves: 2010-reads
(3.5 stars) a light and easy read ... although the mystery portion of the book is less than stellar, i like the "voice" of the protagonist and the character development.
Colleen
My favorite in th eseries so far . I think he's elevated his plot a bit and the exchanges remain humorous. Very touched by the relationship with Archie
Auntie M Graff
Teddy Ruzak is back in this third of the series. The hapless detective with a dog who doesn't like him is always a good read, for the humor and his humanity.
Cynthia
Fun to read but I dont (necessarily) think I'll be rushing to the store to read more in this series.
Sidney
Dec 22, 2010 Sidney added it
Fun little mystery. I'd like to read the other "Highly Effective Detective" books.
Clever dialog and likeable characters. This one had one too many plot twists, though.
Ray Charbonneau
A 3.5? Interesting lead character, typical but nothing special decent mystery plot.
Lynn Lerch
A good mistery with fun charachters. I'm looking forward to more.
Grant
The main character's a smart ass - what's not to like about him?
Al
Not much. Confusing. Didn't make a great deal of sense.
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Lauren Stevenson
Lauren Stevenson marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Esther Arthurson
Esther Arthurson marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Debra Farr
Debra Farr marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Devon
Devon marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2015
  • Killer Swell (Noah Braddock, #1)
  • Swift Justice (A Charlie Swift Mystery #1)
  • And Be a Villain  (Nero Wolfe, #13)
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • Dying Words (A Ghostwriter Mystery #4)
  • The Bee Balm Murders (Martha's Vineyard Mystery, #10)
  • Friends in High Places (Kick Keswick, #4)
  • Slay Bells (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #14)
  • Spin a Wicked Web (Home Crafting Mystery, #3)
  • The Outsmarting of Criminals: A Mystery Introducing Miss Felicity Prim
  • The Tooth of Time (Maxie and Stretch, #2)
  • Death Gets A Time-Out (A Mommy-Track Mystery #4)
  • The Inheritance (Inspector Trave, #1)
  • Murder Unleashed
  • The Gentle Axe (Porfiry Petrovich, #1)
  • The Viognier Vendetta (Wine Country Mysteries #5)
aka Richard Yancey

Rick is a native Floridian and a graduate of Roosevelt University in Chicago. He earned a B.A. in English which he put to use as a field officer for the Internal Revenue Service. Inspired and encouraged by his wife, he decided his degree might also be useful in writing books and in 2004 he began writing full-time.

Since then he has launched two critically acclaimed series: The Ext
More about Rick Yancey...

The Highly Effective Detective (4 books)
  • The Highly Effective Detective (The Highly Effective Detective, #1)
  • The Highly Effective Detective Goes to the Dogs (The Highly Effective Detective, #2)
  • The Highly Effective Detective Crosses the Line (The Highly Effective Detective, #4)
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) The Monstrumologist (The Monstrumologist, #1) The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2) The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp (Alfred Kropp, #1)