Start by marking “Olivia's Opposites” as Want to Read:
Olivia's Opposites

Olivia's Opposites (Olivia)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  510 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Come and go with Olivia!
In this enchanting board book, toddlers will join everyone's favorite piglet as they learn about opposites.
Board Book, 12 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Olivia's Opposites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia's Opposites

Rain! by Linda AshmanRain by Ann HerrigesKipper's Book of Weather by Mick InkpenOpposites in My House by Kristin EckOlivia's Opposites by Ian Falconer
Books for Babies - Story Time
5th out of 22 books — 1 voter
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
246th out of 326 books — 183 voters

More lists with this book...

Rfrancik
Oct 05, 2008 Rfrancik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-board-books, 1-a
Olivia is a delightful character who pleases adults and children alike. Her facial characteristics and body poses are easily identified and appreciated by children ages 3-7. The use of high contrast color, black, white, gray and red in the illustrations are an appealing format for children especially in the reluctant to read crowd or for those with visual impairment where an abundance of color sometimes leads to confusion.

I have used this book successfully with Kindergarten letting students tel
Julie
May 03, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I chose this book because of the popularity of the Olivia books, and because I am not familiar with them. This is a wonderful book. The illustrations are simple, but full of movement. The protagonist is a female pig, and the drawings are done in such a way that she has a lot of personality. The board book is in "chewable" format, so it is more durable for this age group. Olivia is drawn entirely in black, white and red which makes the red stand out where it is used. Her character seems self-ass ...more
Meredith Trotter
Jul 17, 2012 Meredith Trotter rated it really liked it
Shelves: concept-inform
Publication: 2002

Grade/Age: Ages 2-5

Annotation: Olivia the piglet introduces the concept of opposites by demonstrating word pairs.

Themes: Opposites, word pairs, pigs

Ways to use the book:

Pair with other books for a unit on opposites - Opposites by Sandra Boynton; Foot Book by Dr. Seuss.

After talking about opposites, have children make their own little book of opposites.

Celebrate "Opposites Day." Send a note home to parents prior to "Opposites Day," suggesting that the children wear clothing back
Mariah Christensen
Jan 02, 2015 Mariah Christensen rated it it was amazing
Olivia is so cute! This is the first Olivia book I have picked up and now I want to read the original.
The Yearling House
For 0-1 years: each page has a single picture and great contrasts.
For 1-2 yrs: Learning opposites
Annalise
Sep 03, 2014 Annalise rated it did not like it
Shelves: first-year-books
Don't like the complicated opposites (fancy, plain) Opposites should be more relevant to children.
Monica Williams
May 01, 2014 Monica Williams rated it really liked it
How can you not love Olivia- that ever intrepid little pig.
Kaethe
We were out of board books before they started starring Olivia. It's sad.
Mary
Sep 20, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
There was only one image per page and the illustrations were all in shades of black/gray, white and red. The concepts were easily understood. I particularly liked the illustration of quiet and loud. The left hand side had a lion roaring (for loud) and Olivia being quiet. The right hand side had Olivia screaming (for loud) and the lion being quiet. A great way to get across that attributes can change.
Libby
Jun 27, 2009 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I really like this book because of the simple yet descriptive and funny illustrations. There's only one word to a page/picture, so it's easier for my son to focus on what the word means. Also, the whole book is black and white, so I think even a very young infant my be able to enjoy looking at this book- as those are the only colors newborns can see.
Patty
Jul 15, 2010 Patty rated it it was ok
Shelves: reading-record
Illustrator: Ian Falconer
Age: Preschool
Summary: Olivia explores the world of opposites.
Applications/Uses: Can be used when talking about words that are opposite or actions that are opposite, it is a board book so would be best in a preschool or kindergarten classroom.
Themes/Connections: Opposites, pigs
Awards: None
Marisa
May 06, 2009 Marisa rated it it was amazing
My 2 year old LOVES this book. We bought it sunday and already she is remembering oppisites for four different things! It is simple (one word per page) and the drawing on each page shows just the word it is depicting so it does not confuse her and it helps her understand the word better.
Scott Roark
Nov 18, 2011 Scott Roark rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals, opposites, prek-k
Simple book that uses a familiar children's character 'Olivia' the pig as she introduces basic opposite terms. Should be in Prek, Kindergarten classrooms. Have students list other opposites that they know in the classroom. Allow students to go outside and recognize natural opposites.
Jun 03, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
This a cute little book, told in Olivia's spunky style. I enjoyed this short board book and would definitely recommend, it is highly amusing.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Heather
Jun 15, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I wish this were a little longer. It seems like the author just took illustrations from books he'd already written that worked when paired as opposites, and didn't add much more. Not especially creative or exciting if you already have other Olivia books.
Erika
Mar 05, 2010 Erika rated it liked it
Library book - A good teaching tool for opposites for the most part. I didn't think all of them worked that well but it held Gillian's attention and that's the important part at this stage.
Natali
Jan 18, 2010 Natali rated it it was amazing
Really the only kids books I will put up are the ones we love, or maybe a really bad one in the future just to warn parent's. The kids act out this book and it has become a family favorite.
Lori
Feb 10, 2008 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit
Another great book for little kids when they are learning about opposites. Again, you can't beat the illustrations, or the precociousness of Olivia :)
Dawn
Jul 29, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a new favorite. We're working on opposites and it's a perfect little board book for my toddler. Adorable- we'll have to go out and buy this one!
Very simple plot, just a basic for the younger crowd Falconer's winning illustrations are what make this worthy of three stars.
CP Scott
Aug 19, 2007 CP Scott rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Collectors of Olivia reading
Shelves: childrens
I like Olivia, and the stories she's in, but my girl didn't really get into the meme, so we moved on to other books. *shrug*
Inspired Kathy
Mar 26, 2009 Inspired Kathy rated it liked it
My daughter loves Olivia right now. There are only a few opposites in this book, the pictures are simple.
Amber
May 20, 2008 Amber rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-books
It's a book that niece can ready by her self at (5) Olivia the little pig in the book is so cute!
Wendy
Jun 08, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Love the Olivia books! Timmy seemed to like it well enough. The illustrations are great.
Mary Sutterluety
Jun 26, 2013 Mary Sutterluety rated it it was amazing
Concept and Informational Book

Simple, shaded drawings emphasize opposites.
Heather Richard
Feb 23, 2011 Heather Richard rated it did not like it
Okay, but no opposite book compares to the bear opposite books...
Brendan
Jan 04, 2010 Brendan rated it it was amazing
The Loud/Quiet/Loud chapter is particularly entertaining.
Jenny
Apr 29, 2009 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
My favorite picture is when she is laying on the ground.
Dolly
May 29, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their little ones
Shelves: childrens, 2006
Fun book about opposites with a cute pig named Olivia.
Sarah Stumphf
Jul 30, 2012 Sarah Stumphf rated it really liked it
My 17 month old actually sat still for this one.
  • Snoozers: 7 Short Short Bedtime Stories for Lively Little Kids
  • National Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Animals
  • Huggy Kissy
  • Way Down Deep in the Deep Blue Sea
  • Black on White
Ian Falconer is the author and illustrator of all the titles in the bestselling Olivia series: Olivia, Olivia Saves the Circus,Olivia...and the Missing Toy, and Olivia Forms a Band. His illustrations have also graced many covers of the New Yorker. In addition, he has designed sets and costumes for the New York City Ballet, the San Francisco Opera, and the Royal Opera House (Covent Garden), among o ...more
More about Ian Falconer...

Olivia (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Olivia
  • Olivia Saves the Circus
  • Olivia Counts
  • Olivia and the Missing Toy
  • Olivia Forms A Band
  • Dream Big: Starring Olivia
  • Olivia Helps with Christmas
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)
  • Teatro Olivia