The Shadowlands (Deltora Shadowlands, #3)

The Shadowlands (Deltora Shadowlands #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,025 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Lief, Barda and Jasmine have two parts of the fabled Pirran Pipe. Now they must seek the final part on the emerald isle of Keras. The Pipe is their only chance of saving the thousands of Deltorans enslaved in the Shadowlands, for it is said to be the only thing the Shadow Lord fears in his own domain. But can the Pipe be made whole? And if it can, will its ancient magic st...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Scholastic (first published May 1st 2002)

Frank
This final book in the Deltora Shadowlands series was full of great (new) creatures, suspense and challenges. Rodda was still full of creativity in this book and keeps you on the edge of your seat. And as it draws to a conclusion you realize the pipe with all its power will not defeat the Shadow Lord. So what will happen? What does Lief really hope to accomplish? And the many secrets that seemed to be floating around were not really the secrets that they seemed. Fact is Rodda had a lot of surpri...more
Solomon Wreath
I read this long ago, but I can still remember most of it (Note: If I get one more person complaining about shallow characters or the lack of detail… any more detail and this would be rated R. It’s bad enough already)

1. This book works on two levels: Symbolic and entertaining.
2. Accurately portrays the message that if we fight until we can’t stand and cast our differences aside evil can be kept at bay, though never truly eradicated.
3. POOOOOR JASMINE.
4. Oh… the series isn’t over yet?
5. I don’t k...more
Yumeno Katrin
Tady se není o čem bavit. Sice mě mrzela nepřítomnost hrdinů v Del (jop, mám moc ráda Liefovou matku a jistou dámičku z Tory :D), ale dění v Zemi stínů mi to naprosto vynahradilo. Navíc se stalo něco, co jsem nečekala. Takže plné hodnocení. :)
Miss Clark
The whole series is very typical of the fantasy/quest novel series, with precious little world-building and plenty of reliance on stereotypes and familiar cliches like the Shadowlord and the core trio of heroes and heroine who save the world, but it is still enjoyable and kids under 11/12 will likely enjoy it well enough.

We get a happy ending here and the series could well have been ended here, but Rodda does continue Lief, Jasmine and Barda's story in the Dragons of Deltora series.
TEENS Holmes County
Reviewed by Sarah M.

King Lief, Barda, and Jasmine must find the final part of the mystical pirran pipe on the Island of Keras and defeat the Shadow Lord. They have to battle him in the most dangerous place in Deltora, the Shadowland. While in the Shadowland they find out a terrible secreat, the Deltoran slaves are being turned into monsters.

The book was interesting because the story line is great and the characters are brave.
matt
This book was about a group of friends and the King of Deltora they go on a quest to save there home and they fight tons of creatures. i liked this book because it was action pact. I can understand why some one may not like this book because all the action and violance. It's not my favorite book but i like it.
Ahmad
امیلی رودا در سن نه سالگی داستان مینوشته، در شانزده سالگی از نوشتن دست میکشد و در سی سالگی شروع به قصه گویی برای بچه های خود می کند، او اولین کتابش را در 1984 منتشر کرده تا کنون بیش از پنجاه جلد کتاب برای کودکان و نوجوانان و ده کتاب معمایی برای بزرگسالان و یک مجموعه ی تلویزیونی نوشته است
Calli
I really enjoyed this series, especially the dragon books at the end. (The series is broken into three parts -- original quest (8), rescue (3), and dragons (4).) They were a quick, fun read. I didn't spend a lot of extra time reading, but read all 15 in a week.
M6 Hope
Okay, so the Shadowlands were my absolute favorite series of Deltora. The best in my opinion. Recommend to even older people, I could see thirteen year olds still enjoying this, even though I read it at 11.
Marchel
Kisah ketiga mengenai usaha Lief, Barda, dan Jasmine dalam pencarian mereka akan Seruling Pirra dan menggunakannya untuk membebaskan ribuan rakyat Deltora yang menjadi tawanan di Negeri Bayangan.
Lu
Definitely a good ending to the trilogy. I especially liked the fact that the author gave us history on the Shadowlands and the people who used to dwell there and what had become of them.
Johnny Bennett
Classic Emily Rodda. Quick, easy, and entertaining. Most of these books have puzzles or riddles. This one is mostly just tension and action.
Michael
Apr 16, 2009 Michael rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
On a scale of one to ten how was this book? 0.4 On a scale of one to ten how boring was this book? 127.4
Ashley kreger
thrilling and very exciting couldn't put it down. recommended to every one who loves excitement
John Gentry
a wonderful conclusion to the second series of deltora a books, i cannot wait to pick up series 3.
Devon
the last of The shadow lands book, quite fun, but evil is still not fully destroyed
I feel sorry for jasmin in this one but it has a good ending ^^
Rachel (Sfogs)
A Good book, well written and very well thought out.
Lilli C.
Super scary. Inearly died when Lief nearly died!!!
Cynthia Van der Wielen
The best! It kept me on my toes!
Angela Barakat
I read this with my son.
  • A Fox Called Sorrow (Little Fur, #2)
  • By Fire, By Moonlight (Unicorns Of Balinor, #4)
  • Amy's Journal (Heartland Special Edition)
  • The Book from Baden Dark
  • Eager Star (Winnie the Horse Gentler, #2)
  • Merlin's Blade (The Merlin Spiral, #1)
  • How I Found the Perfect Dress (Morgan Rawlinson, #2)
  • The Elves and the Otterskin (World of the Alfar, #2)
  • Above the Veil (The Seventh Tower, #4)
  • Just Crazy (PB)
  • On the Track (Thoroughbred, #34)
Emily Rodda (real name Jennifer Rowe) was born in Sydney, Australia and graduated from the University of Sydney in 1973 with an MA (Hons) in English Literature. Moving into a publishing career, first as a book editor, and finally as a publisher at Angus & Robertson, Rodda's first book was published in 1984.
More about Emily Rodda...
The Forests of Silence (Deltora Quest #1) City of the Rats (Deltora Quest, #3) The Lake of Tears (Deltora Quest, #2) The Shifting Sands (Deltora Quest, #4) The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)

“When the time comes,' Lief said, determinedly drowning her out, 'I will follow Adin's example, and marry for love.' He glanced at her. 'if the woman I love will have me, of course.'
'She probably will,'said Jasmine. 'When the time comes.' She slipped her hand into his.”
3 likes