Start by marking “My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World” as Want to Read:
My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World

My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World

Gilles Bachelet's cat behaves like any normal cat; sleeping, eating, getting in the way, making a mess, but in this funny picture book he happens to be...a very large elephant. It is easy to understand and provides useful illustrations for the children, seeing Bachelet's elephant/cat acting just like their own cats.
Published May 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World

Miriam
Jan 01, 2017 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This book, the silliest book about cats in the world.

Kathryn
Jan 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thanks!
Funny and very representative of cats...er, elephants.
Karen Jones
Sep 26, 2010 Karen Jones rated it it was amazing
A great book! It's all in the illustration. If you just read it out loud, it would be incredibly boring. But if you look at the pictures, it's amazing. Perhaps, as an illustrator, I'm biased. But this is a REALLY great book.

Okay, so you can tell by the cover that there's an elephant, not a cat, right? Well, throughout this whole book, he's talking about his cat as if he has no clue that it's actually an elephant. And the elephant acts like a cat.

At one point there's a picture where he draws an
Robert Beveridge
Gilles Bachelet, My Cat, the Silliest Cat in the World (Abrams, 2004)

Gilles Bachelet's cat may, in fact, be the silliest cat in the world. This may have a lot to do with the fact that it's actually an elephant. (This is not a spoiler given the cover picture.) Bachelet relates normal cat behavior, shows an elephant doing it. Voila! Humor. Cute book, recommended for families with both cats and young children. ***
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The narrator of this cute book is obviously unaware that the animal that he's describing as a cat is, in fact, an elephant. What makes this book so amusing is that, in the pictures, the elephant is doing all the things a cat does--scratching its ear with its hind leg, chasing a ball of yarn, sleeping in cozy places, pooping outside the litter box while standing in it (I've had some of those kind of cats!)... Finally we see the narrator, a young man, with a book about cats. Will he finally realiz ...more
Jeana Wert
Oct 13, 2013 Jeana Wert rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this book and i thought it would be a cute book to read to a group of young children. The pictures were colorful and cute. The author talks about his "cat" but in the pictures, an elephant is shown. It was funny to see the elephant trying to use the litter box and i think the children would really laugh at that, also.
Lisa Vegan
Apr 18, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
This is a cute and amusing, and, yes, a very silly book. It is appealing to both adults and children, although I think 4-8 year olds might find it particularly hilarious. There’s one page that has a letter that seems geared to more advanced readers/listeners than the rest of the book, but the entire book can be enjoyed by those of all ages.
Teresa
Oct 23, 2014 Teresa rated it it was amazing
This book doesn't actually have a story. It's more like a really funny anecdote but the illustrations are truly awesome and go well with the bizarre humor (my kind of humor). A good example of what I mean is the third spread with the skeletal drawing and the letter.
Amy Forrester
May 02, 2012 Amy Forrester rated it it was amazing
Open this book to see Gilles Bachelet’s cat, the silliest cat in the world. He might look like an elephant, but he likes to sleep all day, chase balls of yarn and keep fastidiously clean. Cats like to do all of those things, right? And although he doesn’t always land on his feet when he falls, the Bachelet is very fond of him. Bachelet wonders if he should have chosen a more colorful cat, this one is such a boring shade of gray and although he’s painted many portraits none of them ever sell. Fun ...more
Sarah Sammis
May 16, 2010 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
When Harriet gets into her reading ruts I like to slip something in to her pile to mix things up a bit. When she was stuck on cats, I was delighted to find My Cat, the Silliest Cat in the World by Gilles Bachelet.

If you just read the words, Gilles Bachelet's cat is like any other playful cat. The cat does all the things cats do. But there's an elephant in the room and yes, that pachyderm is the cat in question.

Harriet has a good sense of humor and a flair for the bizarre. An elephant being a cat
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Shelves: 2007, age-childrens
The illustrations make the text of this story into a joke all ages will understand, as the author describes his cat’s typical cat behavior, while the illustrations show an elephant-like creature. The story ends with, “A friend recently gave me a book about cats… but I wasn’t able to determine my cat’s breed.” Other details will appeal to adults as well, as one illustration depicts a letter responding to the Museum of Natural History’s complaint about the inaccuracy of the previous page’s illustr ...more
Tim Johnson
Mar 15, 2014 Tim Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-time
Kids really enjoy this as a read aloud, especially if you constantly reference the silly kitty in the book. Kids like nothing better thinking the adults around them are total idiots. Combine that with some litter box humor and you've got a verified winner.

It's funny, I just re-visited this book and noticed that Bachelet had drawn an elephant skeleton with bones in the trunk. I was just thinking that "There are no bones in an elephant's trunk." Then I noticed on the next page a little facsimile o
Coenraad
May 20, 2015 Coenraad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wat 'n wonderlik absurde boek! Ek het heerlik gegiggel. Die "kat" is uiters goed uitgebeeld in die illustrasies, en die verwysings na beroemde kunswerke lewer 'n soektog van 'n ander aard op. Die vertaling is vlot en die taalgebruik is gesofistikeerd dog toeganklik. Groot pret gewaarborg!

The author / illustrator enjoys his "cat", but cannot quite fathom which kind of cat it is ... The absurdity of the book and the wonderful detail in the illustrations should provide great fun to all readers.
Heidi-Marie
I don't think this one is as funny as its sequel, but I still love the pictures. And I really liked the ending.

10/14/15 Used in Cats & Dogs theme. I had a ton of newbies, and they just couldn't grasp the humor of an elephant being a cat. They didn't see the silliness in it. And when I asked them to tell me things going on in the pictures, they didn't say anything. It usually takes newbies a few weeks, but it's always sad to be near the end of a session, get newbies, and lose out on a book t
Ladychow666
Jan 03, 2013 Ladychow666 rated it it was amazing
This is a silly story about a cat as narrated by owner, though we come to learn that the owner is the silly one since his cat is actually an 'elephant' but don't try telling him that.

I volunteer to read at a local school, specifically to a special ed class with 4 boys about ages 6 and 7, when I started reading, they all told me they hate reading and books, etc. Well, they absolutely LOVE this book, and after a month, they are still talking about this book and want me to bring it in again. That'
Jrowe
Sep 07, 2014 Jrowe rated it did not like it
Shelves: libs-642
Batchelet, G. (2006). My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World New York: Abrams Books for Young Readers.

Self-Selection - Picture Book Soak

I did not enjoy My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World. I think that it was meant to be funny, because there is no cat; just an elephant acting like a cat. I just wasn't amused and didn't "get it". The illustrations were predictable. The elephant was shown in many contorted positions acting cat-like and that was pretty much IT.
Zinnia
Aug 13, 2008 Zinnia rated it it was amazing
I brought this one home from the library to read to Kira (my cat) at bed time. She definitely thinks the book is interesting but her attention span only lasts about two pages at a time.

I'm partial to children's books anyway and this one is both fun to read & fun to look at! I will probably have to go buy myself a copy at some point. For now, I'll keep renewing it. (Hooray for online renewal!)
Jess Brown
I adore this book, specifically because just seeing the title reminds me of all the little giggles I hear when I read this story out loud. The premise of the book is all you need to know: though the book reads "cat" the illustrations show an elephant doing all the "cat" actions. Kids crack up. It's simple, silly, and lots of fun. Perfect for preschoolers!
RachelAnne
Apr 11, 2009 RachelAnne rated it it was amazing
This book cracks me up. The narrator talks about his silly cat, who behaves rather like a typical cat—but the illustrations show an elephant. This is particularly hilarious when the elephant takes certain feline poses, like bathing himself with a leg in the air, or sleeping on top of the television. Ages 3-8
Karla
May 23, 2008 Karla rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids will giggle over the pictures and the idea of an elephant acting like a cat. Very clever, funny illustrations. Not the best storytime read-a-loud, but would be good for one-on-one when you can talk about the pictures. Adults will appreciate the art references and humor.
Cathy
Apr 27, 2010 Cathy rated it really liked it
In describing his cat and his cute ways, the author is baffled by a few inconsistencies - perhaps because it is really an elephant! Cute, cute, cute - Loved the illustrations. Plenty of kid humor with a little adult humor thrown in.
Chris Young
Jun 15, 2011 Chris Young rated it really liked it
In many ways the narrator's "cat" is just like any other, but there's also something very strange about this cat that he just can't put his finger on. Very charming illustrations that had me chuckling out loud, sometimes it's enough just to sit back and enjoy the silly.
Brooke
Sep 20, 2013 Brooke rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, silly, pets, cats
I thought the kids were going to love this book, but it got very little reaction from most of them. I read it for the older kids, and I think they may have had trouble seeing details in the pictures. They were fairly muddled.
Rachel
Aug 23, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I use this one in storytimes about both cats and elephants and it never fails to get a big laugh. The author thinks he has a cat for a pet but the illustrations show it is actually an elephant who acts like a cat. Any child or adult cat owner will eat this book up!
Hallie Jackson Brackett
Jul 24, 2015 Hallie Jackson Brackett rated it it was amazing
A fellow youth librarian insisted that I read this one and I'm so glad that she did! I laughed out loud from the first page until the end. This would be so fun to use in a family storytime. People of all ages would love this one.
Alice
Aug 13, 2012 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-it
This book is excellent!! It has to be read to be understood and appreciated. Note there is an elephant on the cover....yet the title is about a cat. ABSOLUTELY LOL HILARIOUS!!! I LOVE IT! I totally get Gilles Bachelet's sense of humor!
Carrie Horton
Nov 29, 2013 Carrie Horton rated it it was amazing
Mary Taitt
Apr 16, 2013 Mary Taitt rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with young children or anyone who loves kids' picture books.
I totally love this book. I got it for my grandson and have read it twice and looked at it several more, studying the pictures. It is so funny for anyone who loves cats to see an elephant behaving like a cat, with all quirks of a cat. It's cute and totally hilarious and fun!!!!
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

I thought the book was funny, but I do not think Wesley understood the humor about calling an elephant a cat.
Sarah Collier
Feb 03, 2009 Sarah Collier rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book made me laugh out loud. I thought it was so clever and the illustrations are histarical. My third graders were really engaged and laughed throughout the story. The book includes some "potty" humor which children always get a kick out of. The pictures are vibrant and fun. I loved it!
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Guji Guji
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign
  • Hugless Douglas
  • The Retired Kid
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • Tadpole's Promise
  • A Bedtime for Bear (Bear and Mouse)
  • Scrawny Cat
  • Bedtime for Mommy
  • Moon Rabbit
  • 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!