My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World

My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  56 reviews
A new book in the vein of The Story of the Little Mole Who Went in Seach of Whodunit and Elephant Elephant

Gilles Bachelet's cat behaves like any normal cat--sleeping, eating, getting in the way, making a mess--but in this warm and funny picture book he happens to be. . . a very large elephant. Whether he's keeping clean, playing with yarn, or posing for a portrait, this ca...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Harry N. Abrams (first published September 2nd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussKitten's First Full Moon by Kevin HenkesMillions of Cats by Wanda GágPuss in Boots by Charles PerraultThe Tale of Tom Kitten by Beatrix Potter
Picture Books about Cats
110th out of 322 books — 151 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronHomer's Odyssey by Gwen CooperOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotInto the Wild by Erin HunterThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Cat Lovers List
313th out of 574 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Jan 26, 2009 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra--thanks!
Funny and very representative of cats...er, elephants.
Robert Beveridge
Gilles Bachelet, My Cat, the Silliest Cat in the World (Abrams, 2004)

Gilles Bachelet's cat may, in fact, be the silliest cat in the world. This may have a lot to do with the fact that it's actually an elephant. (This is not a spoiler given the cover picture.) Bachelet relates normal cat behavior, shows an elephant doing it. Voila! Humor. Cute book, recommended for families with both cats and young children. ***
Jeana Wert
I really enjoyed this book and i thought it would be a cute book to read to a group of young children. The pictures were colorful and cute. The author talks about his "cat" but in the pictures, an elephant is shown. It was funny to see the elephant trying to use the litter box and i think the children would really laugh at that, also.
Amy Musser
Open this book to see Gilles Bachelet’s cat, the silliest cat in the world. He might look like an elephant, but he likes to sleep all day, chase balls of yarn and keep fastidiously clean. Cats like to do all of those things, right? And although he doesn’t always land on his feet when he falls, the Bachelet is very fond of him. Bachelet wonders if he should have chosen a more colorful cat, this one is such a boring shade of gray and although he’s painted many portraits none of them ever sell. Fun...more
Jrowe
Batchelet, G. (2006). My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World New York: Abrams Books for Young Readers.

Self-Selection - Picture Book Soak

I did not enjoy My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World. I think that it was meant to be funny, because there is no cat; just an elephant acting like a cat. I just wasn't amused and didn't "get it". The illustrations were predictable. The elephant was shown in many contorted positions acting cat-like and that was pretty much IT.
Sarah Sammis
When Harriet gets into her reading ruts I like to slip something in to her pile to mix things up a bit. When she was stuck on cats, I was delighted to find My Cat, the Silliest Cat in the World by Gilles Bachelet.

If you just read the words, Gilles Bachelet's cat is like any other playful cat. The cat does all the things cats do. But there's an elephant in the room and yes, that pachyderm is the cat in question.

Harriet has a good sense of humor and a flair for the bizarre. An elephant being a cat...more
Karen Jones
A great book! It's all in the illustration. If you just read it out loud, it would be incredibly boring. But if you look at the pictures, it's amazing. Perhaps, as an illustrator, I'm biased. But this is a REALLY great book.

Okay, so you can tell by the cover that there's an elephant, not a cat, right? Well, throughout this whole book, he's talking about his cat as if he has no clue that it's actually an elephant. And the elephant acts like a cat.

At one point there's a picture where he draws an...more
Tim Johnson
Kids really enjoy this as a read aloud, especially if you constantly reference the silly kitty in the book. Kids like nothing better thinking the adults around them are total idiots. Combine that with some litter box humor and you've got a verified winner.
Kate
Jan 10, 2009 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Read for Children's Literature portfolio
Shelves: 2007, age-childrens
The illustrations make the text of this story into a joke all ages will understand, as the author describes his cat’s typical cat behavior, while the illustrations show an elephant-like creature. The story ends with, “A friend recently gave me a book about cats… but I wasn’t able to determine my cat’s breed.” Other details will appeal to adults as well, as one illustration depicts a letter responding to the Museum of Natural History’s complaint about the inaccuracy of the previous page’s illustr...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The narrator of this cute book is obviously unaware that the animal that he's describing as a cat is, in fact, an elephant. What makes this book so amusing is that, in the pictures, the elephant is doing all the things a cat does--scratching its ear with its hind leg, chasing a ball of yarn, sleeping in cozy places, pooping outside the litter box while standing in it (I've had some of those kind of cats!)... Finally we see the narrator, a young man, with a book about cats. Will he finally realiz...more
Ladychow666
This is a silly story about a cat as narrated by owner, though we come to learn that the owner is the silly one since his cat is actually an 'elephant' but don't try telling him that.

I volunteer to read at a local school, specifically to a special ed class with 4 boys about ages 6 and 7, when I started reading, they all told me they hate reading and books, etc. Well, they absolutely LOVE this book, and after a month, they are still talking about this book and want me to bring it in again. That'...more
Mckinley
The cat is an elephant with cat traits and behaviors.
Zinnia
I brought this one home from the library to read to Kira (my cat) at bed time. She definitely thinks the book is interesting but her attention span only lasts about two pages at a time.

I'm partial to children's books anyway and this one is both fun to read & fun to look at! I will probably have to go buy myself a copy at some point. For now, I'll keep renewing it. (Hooray for online renewal!)
Jess Brown
I adore this book, specifically because just seeing the title reminds me of all the little giggles I hear when I read this story out loud. The premise of the book is all you need to know: though the book reads "cat" the illustrations show an elephant doing all the "cat" actions. Kids crack up. It's simple, silly, and lots of fun. Perfect for preschoolers!
Lisa Vegan
This is a cute and amusing, and, yes, a very silly book. It is appealing to both adults and children, although I think 4-8 year olds might find it particularly hilarious. There’s one page that has a letter that seems geared to more advanced readers/listeners than the rest of the book, but the entire book can be enjoyed by those of all ages.
RachelAnne
This book cracks me up. The narrator talks about his silly cat, who behaves rather like a typical cat—but the illustrations show an elephant. This is particularly hilarious when the elephant takes certain feline poses, like bathing himself with a leg in the air, or sleeping on top of the television. Ages 3-8
Sarah Collier
This book made me laugh out loud. I thought it was so clever and the illustrations are histarical. My third graders were really engaged and laughed throughout the story. The book includes some "potty" humor which children always get a kick out of. The pictures are vibrant and fun. I loved it!
Mary Taitt
Apr 16, 2013 Mary Taitt rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with young children or anyone who loves kids' picture books.
I totally love this book. I got it for my grandson and have read it twice and looked at it several more, studying the pictures. It is so funny for anyone who loves cats to see an elephant behaving like a cat, with all quirks of a cat. It's cute and totally hilarious and fun!!!!
Carrie Horton
Karla
Kids will giggle over the pictures and the idea of an elephant acting like a cat. Very clever, funny illustrations. Not the best storytime read-a-loud, but would be good for one-on-one when you can talk about the pictures. Adults will appreciate the art references and humor.
Chris Young
In many ways the narrator's "cat" is just like any other, but there's also something very strange about this cat that he just can't put his finger on. Very charming illustrations that had me chuckling out loud, sometimes it's enough just to sit back and enjoy the silly.
Taylor Troncin
This book was read for Wesley’s summer reading club. Wesley is my (soon to be five year old) son. This review is what we used for his reading club.
***

I thought the book was funny, but I do not think Wesley understood the humor about calling an elephant a cat.
Mary
This is a silly book about a cat…the pictures are actually of an elephant. The author doesn’t realize that his pet is actually an elephant and not a cat! It’s probably funny to read to a child or children in person, but without the pictures, the story doesn’t make sense.
Jie Gao
MT loves all silly books, like this one.
Rachel
I use this one in storytimes about both cats and elephants and it never fails to get a big laugh. The author thinks he has a cat for a pet but the illustrations show it is actually an elephant who acts like a cat. Any child or adult cat owner will eat this book up!
Cathy
In describing his cat and his cute ways, the author is baffled by a few inconsistencies - perhaps because it is really an elephant! Cute, cute, cute - Loved the illustrations. Plenty of kid humor with a little adult humor thrown in.
Alice
This book is excellent!! It has to be read to be understood and appreciated. Note there is an elephant on the cover....yet the title is about a cat. ABSOLUTELY LOL HILARIOUS!!! I LOVE IT! I totally get Gilles Bachelet's sense of humor!
Brooke
I thought the kids were going to love this book, but it got very little reaction from most of them. I read it for the older kids, and I think they may have had trouble seeing details in the pictures. They were fairly muddled.
Nicole
While a narrative about the life of a typical housecat might be a bit ho-hum, the illustrations bring the funny here - his cat looks suspiciously like a very agile elephant! good for some giggles.
Jen
May 20, 2014 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I read this in a storytime and while the kids liked the words, they didn't really "get it" ... but several of the parents thought it was hilarious and took it home with them to read again!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
  • Mr. Pusskins and Little Whiskers: Another Love Story
  • A Boy and His Bunny
  • Guji Guji
  • A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • Bedtime for Mommy
  • LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Mama Cat Has Three Kittens
  • Terrific
  • Scrawny Cat
  • Pete & Pickles
  • Aaaarrgghh! Spider!
  • He Came with the Couch
When the Silliest Cat Was Small Madame le lapin blanc Champignon Bonaparte Hotel Des Voyageurs: A Naughty Pillow Book Des Nouvelles De Mon Chat