Art of Intrusion

Art of Intrusion

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  1,322 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Hacker extraordinaire Kevin Mitnick delivers the explosive encore to his bestselling "The Art of Deception"
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most celebrated hacker, now devotes his life to helping businesses and governments combat data thieves, cybervandals, and other malicious computer intruders. In his bestselling The Art of Deception, Mitnick presented fictionalized case studi...more
Published March 17th 2009 by Wiley, John & Sons, Incorporated (first published January 1st 2005)

Mark O'Neill
This author was recommended to me by a geek friend and after I did some research on Mitnick, I realised this was a guy I wanted to read. I was a bit amazed to read all the reviews who accused Mitnick of putting his ego all over the book. I didn't see any evidence of that at all. Yes he talks quite a bit about his own experiences in relation to what he is talking about in that chapter but that is to be expected. After all, he IS a convicted computer hacker! So he does have some knowledge in this...more
Valerie
This was an interesting book that reminds you, in several different ways, of the importance of defense in depth. A few of the attacks were vague (as warned of by the author who collated the tales), and others just lacked relevant technical details. For example, "the outfit was running a Sun workstation, which is familiar ground for every hacker." - which type of hardware? What was the OS level? Was it unpatched? Still, the stories were entertaining.

My biggest gripe with the book was the lack of...more
Nate
This was not nearly as good as Mitnick's biography "Ghost in the Wires"

I think the target audience was a bit mixed. In some chapters, the authors went to great lengths to explain the technologies they were talking about (e.g. Unicode explanation was almost 1 paragraph.) As if the reader would have no knowledge of technology (or very limited knowledge.)

Then in other chapters, they would mention technologies almost in passing as if everyone knew about it.

I liked the final section of each chapter w...more
Doug
This book is not a textbook, nor is it an account of anything Kevin Mitnick ever did. After reading more about his history I can say that Kevin Mitnick will not be able to write about his experiences until later this year at the earliest.

This book is a collection of short stories detailing OTHER hackers exploits. Mitnick uses these experiences as examples and describes how the attacks could've been prevented. In the majority of cases the exploits described were a result of lazy or inattentive ne...more
Remo
Este libro continúa donde lo dejó "The art of Deception", de alguna manera. En él se habla de diez casos específicos en los que el sistema fue vencido por un atacante con más inteligencia, tiempo libre o ganas (o las tres). Un grupo de amigos que descubre y utiliza el algoritmo de las máquinas tragaperras para empezar a ganar dinero con ellas, un par de presos de una cárcel de Texas que consiguen montarse una red informática y bajarse todas las pelis del emule, un par de empresas que piden audit...more
Katsu
First of all this book is very old. Newest OS mentioned was, I suppose, Windows XP, and as I remember - only once. Rest of stories was about hacking much, much older computers. But on the other hand some things do not change, and reading about may learn us about mistakes - as it are human mistakes. But here comes "but".
For me, as an IT guy, and not even spec of web, it was extremely hard to read all this explanations for "normal" people. It was just so boring, and so long, and so obvious... Onl...more
Chris Gilland
i must say that this is probably one of the best books I have read in quite a long time! It is one of those types of books you start reading, and then simply cannot put down. I personally read it through the NLS. Bard Does indeed have the book, as that is exactly where I obtained it. To me, this book was a major eye-opener two different computer security threats that we face in everyday society. The really awesome part about this book, is at the end of every chapter… Spoiler… There are usually a...more
Brian
Oct 10, 2011 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brian by: goodreads
Shelves: hackerspotting
(3.0) Good but Mitnick gets way too much in the way

Mitnick walks us through a few self-reported hacks from other hackers. Some are interesting. I actually thought the first one about slot machines was the coolest. The others Mitnick tries to insert himself, his crimes, his books and website WAY too much. It felt pretty dirty and self-promoting, especially for a book that's really not supposed to be about him.

I also found it a bit inconsistent that he ostensibly spends thought and time devoted to...more
Brian
This book is a real eye opener. If you work in a business with a lot of valuable information that you want to keep safe, read this book. It is amazing the amount of information that can stolen without a lot of technical expertise. As they say you are only safe as your weakest link and in a company your weakest links are generally people. I got the impression that no information protected by any organization is safe from a motivated attacker.
Andy
Nov 26, 2007 Andy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Computer Nerds
I was interested in this book from the moment I picked it up at my local Half-Price Bookstore. The cover art was impressive which I think reflects upon the feeling of the contents.

Kevin Mitnick has a wonderful way of explaining things in layman's terms. He tells the story of a hacker or exploiter while also weaving in his own commentary and opinions. After each chapter Mitnick explains what a Security Specialist could have done to stop this hacker, what should be expected in the future, and expl...more
Armand
Very interesting stories but very heavy computer jargon. Ranging from hacking casinos to children helping terrorists, these hackers' tales would likely be hits on the big screen. The only problem with this book is that the author's target audience is a somewhat-seasoned computer user with knowledge of basic computer science.

An ordinary reader with no technological background would probably end up skimming a fourth of the book and still enjoy it, just not as well. If you're one of those people th...more
Rob
This is the book that got me interested in network security.

Although it has Kevin Mitnick listed as the author, it has little to do with him at all. The book consists of several short, true stories. All of the facts are (supposivly) real. Some are well known in the "hacking" world, others you'll probably be hearing for the first time. Nonetheless, the are all very engaging. Some of the stories go into more detail regarding the attack vector than others, however they are all very engaging. Whethe...more
Sylvia Sarno
I'm almost done reading this book. Mitnick explains complicated, technical stuff in a clear easy to understand way. Very well laid out and surprisingly engrossing. Even for some one like me who is not very technical.
James
This is the first of Mitnick's books that I've read and I really enjoyed it. There was enough technical content to keep the attention of those interested in the details but not too much as to slow down the pace of the book.
The book is split into short stories of other hackers exploits and as a security consultant myself I found the stories both entertaining and thought provoking, if by now a little outdated.
As long as you don't think it's a textbook and appreciate it for what it is I'd definitel...more
Ralf Larisch
"Die Kunst des Einbruchs", zieht beim Betrachter meines Bücherregal ohne Zweifel verstörende Blick auf sich. Einbruch?
Paul
Some may find the stories of hacking to be far-fetched but they are entirely believable. More important, Mitnick offers some excellent insights and countermeasures against common attacks. There is something to be learned here. Unfortunately, the insertion of "been there, done that" commentary comes across as arrogant and takes away from the stories being told. Additionally, plugging your other book as almost the only source (6-7 times in just a few pages), it becomes an annoying distraction to t...more
Gary
I have a rather extensive collection of hacker/hacking books, and I've written on the subject myself, for both websites and magazines like Blacklisted! 411 and Nuts and Volts. I found The Art of Intrusion to be interesting but not very enlightening. I understand that Mitnick is probably not allowed to write about many of his past exploits, but this book had less hard data and detail than the vast majority of what I've read on the subject. Overall, I'd give this book a solid "meh."
Kelly
I found that this book has quite a bit of technical information which can be hard to follow even coming from a technical background. I'd imagine you'd do much better coming from an IT background though.

I enjoyed the stories quite a bit. I wish he had focused a bit more on the stories instead of the technical details but I think his intent was to provide those details for people who are reading the book for that type of information rather than just entertainment.
Hadrian
Mildly interesting book about the exploits of hackers. Requires some networking knowledge to understand fully. Some of these stories are fairly old (using 386 processes in one story and when warez and torrenting sites were novelties in the other!) but most are still interesting. Social engineering aspects of the book are most interesting, and much of the advice is quite relevant.
s1lentbob
Started this last Saturday, haven't put it down since. I've always had a keen interest on the 'Hacker Underground'. Although some might disagree, It's fascinating as hell. I'd say a lot of my interest towards computing in general, stems from this.

Great read(so far) anyway. I found Kevin comes off a tad arrogant at times. Other than that, interesting, and would recommend.
Carrie
There were occasional bits where the technical stuff was over my head, or where Mitnick got a little too full of himself, but overall this was a very interesting read. You really do get the sense that if hackers want to break into something, they'll find a way eventually. But people tend to make it a whole lot easier for them through password stupidity and other such things.
Mark
Enjoyable, fast read. It included enough technical details to keep me interested. But, it did not overwhelm the reader with jargon to the extent that someone without a technical background would be lost. I only wish it was written a bit more recently. Perhaps a follow up will be released in the next few years? I look forward to reading other work by Kevin.
Ohud
It will take you to nowhere if you're IT person, BUT, it displays intrusion stories where you can view many possible scenarios. It makes you trust NO ONE. I loved stories and the way they're written so IT people can understand it better but it was not the expected for me.
If you are network analyzer and need a break, go ahead and get yourself a copy.
Kathy Bowman
What I learned from this book: no computer is secure. The stories in this were really interesting, and downright amazing. What people would & could do to access secure stuff, just for the fun of it was an eye-opening experience. I'm not a techie, so at times I skimmed through the more in depth stuff (this happened more often towards the end).
Luis Eric
ejemplos de c��mo la ingenier��a social es el mejor m��todo para comprometer sistemas de seguridad
Elisa
Excellent collection of short stories regarding well experienced and novice hackers!! From poker to high level companies the stories will astound you. Fun read and not too tech-savy for the average reader. Mitnick even explains precautions companies can take to prevent each incident/story.
MonsterMan
Just finished reading this … it started fun but it just got a bit daunting as it progressed - some really fun interesting stories but it begins to devolve towards the middle of the book and gets way to technical - far too much computer jargon for a non-hacker like myself.
Chris Kasten
Interesting but... I didn't finish it. The stories were indeed interesting, but just a little too "breathless" and, about half-way through, I decided I was educated enough.

If you're new to the concept of social engineering I suspect you'll want to read the entire thing.
Michelle
Oct 03, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone concerned with security breaches--even his or her own.
Kevin Mitnick is a genius, and he'll be the first to back me up on that---he's very intelligent. We're fortunate enough to have him revealing information which we can utilize to protect our own privacy. Anyone who doesn't read this book, may be asking for it!
Hardik
i am student and this is best book for helping for me
  • Hacking: The Art of Exploitation
  • Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets & Solutions (Hacking Exposed)
  • Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World
  • Masters of Deception: The Gang That Ruled Cyberspace
  • The Fugitive Game: Online with Kevin Mitnick
  • Social Engineering: The Art of Human Hacking
  • The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Discovering and Exploiting Security Flaws
  • Kingpin: How One Hacker Took Over the Billion-Dollar Cybercrime Underground
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Metasploit: The Penetration Tester's Guide
  • The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage
  • The Hacker Crackdown: Law and Disorder on the Electronic Frontier
  • Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution
  • The Best of 2600: A Hacker Odyssey
  • The Tangled Web: A Guide to Securing Modern Web Applications
  • Fatal System Error: The Hunt for the New Crime Lords Who are Bringing Down the Internet
  • Takedown: The Pursuit and Capture of Kevin Mitnick, America's Most Wanted Computer Outlaw - By the Man Who Did It
  • Hacker's Delight
Kevin Mitnick, the world's most famous (former) computer hacker, has been the subject of countless news and magazine articles, the idol of thousands of would-be hackers, and a one-time "most wanted" criminal of cyberspace, on the run from the bewildered Feds. Now a security consultant, he has spoken to audiences at conventions around the world, been on dozens of major national TV and radio shows,...more
More about Kevin D. Mitnick...
Ghost in the Wires: My Adventures as the World's Most Wanted Hacker The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security The Art of Deception 1st (first) edition Text Only Hacker's Box : L'Art de la supercherie / Hacker's Guide Sızma Sanatı