While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)

While the Clock Ticked (The Hardy Boys #11)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  2,396 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Frank and Joe solve the mystery of the secret locked room in the spooky Dalrymple Mansion.

---
From book cover:
For action, mystery and cliff-hanging suspense, read THE HARDY BOYS MYSTERY STORIES® - featuring the thrilling adventures of America's favorite detective duo, Frank and Joe Hardy. Millions of young readers have teamed up with the Hardy Boys, helping them in their qu...more
Published January 1st 1990 by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc (first published January 1st 1932)

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickHarriet the Spy by Louise FitzhughEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. Sobol
Best Mysteries for Young Readers
35th out of 137 books — 212 voters
Time's Twisted Arrow by Rysa WalkerThe Blackstone Key by Rose MelikanTouching Darkness by Scott WesterfeldThe Clockwork Cathedral by Heather BlackwoodSecrets of the Time Society by Alexandra Monir
Keeping Time
11th out of 60 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

John Yelverton
Great mystery book for young readers.
Bill Keefe
This is a re-read (and a really quick one, at that!), having read it the first time approximately 48 yrs. ago.

What can one say? Tom and Joe, evil villains, car chases, boat chases, foot races, Chet, Aunt Gertrude, really terrible writing. I loved every minute of it. And it only took about 45 of them to polish this off.
Diane
Oh man..it's one of the books that got me started on reading. My dad gave this book to me; it was his when he was a boy. I remember being a youngin' and reading a couple of pages at a time.
I loved this mystery!
Jon
...Um, Hardy Boys rocked. I mean rock. I think I'm going to start reading these again for the heck of it. Saved my old box of them.

Yes, I read books because of the covers.
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger...more
Aaron Lam
While the Clock Ticked was a very interesting book. I enjoyed the excitement and suspense that this book contained. Two brothers try to solve a mystery in their area. They are faced with many challenges that made the book even more enjoyable. Towards the end of the book, the Hardy boys are captured by the gang leader of the thieves. He is about to blow them up when they are saved by a friend. The ending was the most intense part. The unexpected almost always happens. I don't like to read, but wh...more
Eliyahu
One of the most suspenseful books I have ever read. I look forward to rereading it.
Bryan
Probably one of the better in the series - not sure, as I've only read a half-dozen or so of these books.

The premise of the secret room(s) in the house was fascinating. The idea of how easily the innocent inventor, Amos Wandy, could be duped was less satisfactory.

It was interesting to see how the character of Mr. Dalrymple could be placed in contrasting lights - I wish more could have been done along that angle.

Recommended for young readers who think that Harry Potter (or worse, Twilight) are th...more
Demi Lovato
i nam longing to read this
Jose
The Hardy Boys series was my favorite series from elementary school. The series tells multiple stories of 2 young brothers, Joe and Frank Hardy, and the multiple mysteries they attempt to solve. this series had a heavy influence on my reading preferences as mystery/crime books are now my favorite genre. This particular adventure of the Hardy brothers stood out to me due to its incredible element of suspense and intriguing plot. The language is simply, the book is not too lengthy and is definitel...more
Sticks
Evil Old men.
Jonaki Datta
One of my favourite hardy book story... The ending is great....Chet is awesome. I love the friendship that the Hardy Boys share with Chet and the way his unusual hobbies come in handy every time the Hardy Boys are in trouble is really awesome.Well written...It takes me back to my child hood days.
Tacey
A fabulous friend gave me a 1930s edition. Read it before re-reading my modernized version. Wow! I almost hate to admit I am glad the books were rewritten. Aunt Gertrude always spoke negatively and the boys seem to only communicate with each other through sarcasm and teasing.
Morgan Summerfield
I read both the Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys growing up. This one stuck in my memory. I grew up with these books and they contributed to my love of the story--especially mystery. I suspect they also contributed to my desire to write. I recommend the series as a whole for young readers.
Joyce
This one was by far one of my favorite books of the Hardy Boys Series it was very suspenseful when I had first read it (which was when I was in 4th grade lol) and had always remained one of my favorites. It's books like these that made me love The Hardy Boys more than Nancy Drew.
Meadow
While the Clock Tickes there will be death. That is the note found in a room that no one not even the owner can get in exept on sertain times. So how did the note mysteriously appear in there room. and the clock in the abandoned house. Is being wound by someone. But who?
Lakeisha
Of all in the series I have read, this one is my favorite. it is just more sophisticated and with every chapter you read, it just keeps you thinking,"OMG! what's gonna happen next?" and i love that about it
Stephen Baker
I loved Hardy Boys books as a kid. They were my first books over 80 pages long that I ever read ... well ok my dad read most of the first few to me, but they were the books that got me started.
Ben
Although the cover freaked me out, this book turned out ok. The only thing I didn't like was that the author dragged stuff out for too long when you could guess what was going to happen.
Stephanie
Not sure why a Hardy boy's book interest me as an adult, but it was fun to read such a "wholesome" book. "Gosh darn" were probably the harshest words used. I miss those days.
Nicola-Jane Henfrey
Frank & Joe are feisty little guys who get themselves into scrapes but always come out on top.
Chet was wonderful in this book. A good read if you have an hour to kill.
pallas - the dark one
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWSOME!!! read like all of the books in this series, so awesome! coool, exciting, graphic, thrilling, mysterious... :D
Greg Boschen
This is one of the best of the old-school Hardy Boy mysteries. I even have both the original and rewritten versions! However, so far I've only read the newer version.
Gabriel
This book is great! You should read this book! Joe and Frank have to find harbor thieves. They have to escape a time bomb!!! They catch the thieves!
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Adam
I remember being very proud when I finished this, because it was the first book I read from cover to cover in just two days. It may have also been the last.
Ruthie Jones
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Sharon
I don't specifically remember many of the Hardy Boys books, Ijust know that I loved to read them as a kid.
Ron
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • Double Crossing (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery, #1)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)