Start by marking “While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)” as Want to Read:
While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)

While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys #11)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,004 ratings  ·  72 reviews
Frank and Joe solve the mystery of the secret locked room in the spooky Dalrymple Mansion.

From book cover:
For action, mystery and cliff-hanging suspense, read THE HARDY BOYS MYSTERY STORIES - featuring the thrilling adventures of America's favorite detective duo, Frank and Joe Hardy. Millions of young readers have teamed up with the Hardy Boys, helping them in their que
Published January 1st 1990 by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc (first published January 1st 1932)

The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickHarriet the Spy by Louise FitzhughEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. Sobol
Best Mysteries for Young Readers
40th out of 194 books — 283 voters
The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha ChristieThe Laws of Murder by Charles FinchA Murder Is Announced by Agatha ChristieTime's Twisted Arrow by Rysa WalkerBellman & Black by Diane Setterfield
Keeping Time
9th out of 75 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

This was not at all what I thought it was going to be.
Chet Brown
In a dark room just through off in a corner. You are seconds away from freedom and right when its in your hands you get blind folded and that freedom feeling slips away. This book is an explosive book if you ask me. Literally, can be an explosive book. In this book of the Hardy Boys Frank and Joe decide to help out an old friend that is being threatened. As they try to figure out who these threats are coming from they are twisted and blow like the wind threw this adventure. It all comes down to ...more
John Yelverton
Great mystery book for young readers.
Aaron Lam
While the Clock Ticked was a very interesting book. I enjoyed the excitement and suspense that this book contained. Two brothers try to solve a mystery in their area. They are faced with many challenges that made the book even more enjoyable. Towards the end of the book, the Hardy boys are captured by the gang leader of the thieves. He is about to blow them up when they are saved by a friend. The ending was the most intense part. The unexpected almost always happens. I don't like to read, but wh ...more
A Quickie Review

What can I say about this series that hasn't already been said? It's definitely old-school fun, but, that much is obvious.
Margretchin Chantal
Who is that man? The old Purdy house. Mr. Dalrymple.Biff and Chet arrive. Willow River Road. Screeching tires. Black limousine. Mike Disalvo. Footprints. Chow time. Jason Purdy. You must leave this house or death will overtake you. Captain Stroman. Death while the clock ticks. Tony Prito and Jerry Gilroy join the gang. Party at Chet's. Phil Cohen pops up. Police! Harbor thieves. Ticking noises. Blood curdling scream. Hurd Applegate. Missing jade set. Chief Collig. Missing key. The Napoli. Someth ...more
When I caught the first sight of this book I came to know this was an intresting one because I love the books which have an incomplete title.

I like the time when the hardys were caught by the leader of the gang. I also liked its style of concluding.

Well! it was a nice one.
Bill Keefe
This is a re-read (and a really quick one, at that!), having read it the first time approximately 48 yrs. ago.

What can one say? Tom and Joe, evil villains, car chases, boat chases, foot races, Chet, Aunt Gertrude, really terrible writing. I loved every minute of it. And it only took about 45 of them to polish this off.
Oh's one of the books that got me started on reading. My dad gave this book to me; it was his when he was a boy. I remember being a youngin' and reading a couple of pages at a time.
I loved this mystery!
...Um, Hardy Boys rocked. I mean rock. I think I'm going to start reading these again for the heck of it. Saved my old box of them.

Yes, I read books because of the covers.
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger ...more
Cede sipes

Joy Gerbode
Another fun mystery with the brothers ... sometimes seems really stupid, but it's fun to follow their antics. It gives me something quick and easy to read when I can't think too much.
In which people leave their cars unattended on the side of a country road even as thieves are using cars found unattended on country roads, the police enthusiastically allow teenagers to pursue armed suspects unchaperoned, and the villain looks suspiciously like Adolf Hitler.

I also begin to suspect that Aunt Gertrude is a fox.
One of the most suspenseful books I have ever read. I look forward to rereading it.
Ethan Kreuzburg
I absolutely loved this book in so many ways. I could not put it down.
It was a fun read, but not as exciting as other Hardy Boy books.
fathimathu nahila
hardy boys have now impressed me much more.....loved this book
Probably one of the better in the series - not sure, as I've only read a half-dozen or so of these books.

The premise of the secret room(s) in the house was fascinating. The idea of how easily the innocent inventor, Amos Wandy, could be duped was less satisfactory.

It was interesting to see how the character of Mr. Dalrymple could be placed in contrasting lights - I wish more could have been done along that angle.

Recommended for young readers who think that Harry Potter (or worse, Twilight) are th
What now this is a different story?
parties getting mixed up with 3 different mysteries that matter to a lot of people in their town but unfortunately it all soon can affect their lives
Demi Lovato
i nam longing to read this
Evil Old men.
Jan 30, 2014 Aditya rated it 2 of 5 stars
Jonaki Datta
One of my favourite hardy book story... The ending is great....Chet is awesome. I love the friendship that the Hardy Boys share with Chet and the way his unusual hobbies come in handy every time the Hardy Boys are in trouble is really awesome.Well written...It takes me back to my child hood days.
A fabulous friend gave me a 1930s edition. Read it before re-reading my modernized version. Wow! I almost hate to admit I am glad the books were rewritten. Aunt Gertrude always spoke negatively and the boys seem to only communicate with each other through sarcasm and teasing.
Morgan Summerfield
I read both the Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys growing up. This one stuck in my memory. I grew up with these books and they contributed to my love of the story--especially mystery. I suspect they also contributed to my desire to write. I recommend the series as a whole for young readers.
This one was by far one of my favorite books of the Hardy Boys Series it was very suspenseful when I had first read it (which was when I was in 4th grade lol) and had always remained one of my favorites. It's books like these that made me love The Hardy Boys more than Nancy Drew.
While the Clock Tickes there will be death. That is the note found in a room that no one not even the owner can get in exept on sertain times. So how did the note mysteriously appear in there room. and the clock in the abandoned house. Is being wound by someone. But who?
Of all in the series I have read, this one is my favorite. it is just more sophisticated and with every chapter you read, it just keeps you thinking,"OMG! what's gonna happen next?" and i love that about it
Stephen Baker
I loved Hardy Boys books as a kid. They were my first books over 80 pages long that I ever read ... well ok my dad read most of the first few to me, but they were the books that got me started.
Goodreads Librari...: Add Cover for 0006922015 5 58 Mar 12, 2015 10:45PM
  • Double Crossing (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Super Mystery, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
  • The Mystery of the Flaming Footprints (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #15)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • The Call of the Wild
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 241 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)