Start by marking “A Lucky Thing” as Want to Read:

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Is it hard to write poetry? In an old barn, a girl sits at a table and writes poems. She notices the rooster and the weather vane and how, in unexpected ways, they have much in common. She writes about writing poetry. It’s not easy! Finally, in the late-night silence, “a small gray verse runs squeaking down one of the rafters/just as the moon floats in through the double b ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Lucky Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lucky Thing

GoldGato
Nov 08, 2011 GoldGato rated it it was amazing
Simple poetry from Alice Schertle and wonderful illustrations from Wendall Minor make this book a real treasure. It's an excellent way for parent and child to alternate readings and for the child to learn about the world on a farm by using verse.

My favorite poem was the one about the robin who envies the chickens being fed, while the same chickens envy the robin for his freedom. Cobwebs and mice and scarecrows and roosters make for an easy read, but one that will demand several read-throughs for
Linda
Published in 1999, I am thrilled to have found this book of poetry. If you need a mentor text for using metaphors and similes with the a theme (this time, writing) throughout the book, this is it. With Schertle's wonderfully clever poems, Minor shows well that there is poetry everywhere one looks. Or is it the other way round, with Minor painting, and Schertle writing? A young girl is shown through a window, at a table writing, mixing words and pictures as she writes the first poem, titled Right ...more
Jacquelin Devlin
Apr 11, 2015 Jacquelin Devlin rated it it was amazing
My favorite of all her wonderful poetry books. These poems about barns, wind vanes, writing paper, turtles, rabbits and other farmy stuff are a step above the cute, silly poetry most kids are introduced to, a perfect beginning step to more complex work, yet still incredibly accessible to young readers. Beautiful illustrations. Wow!
Emily Bernd
Another great book of descriptive poems for comprehension lessons. Most of the poems are aimed for 3-5 grade but they could be used for younger grades depending on the class. The Rabbit poem worked great with visualizing with my first graders!
Ashley Enlow
Mar 05, 2015 Ashley Enlow rated it really liked it
This poetry book is full of fun, outdoorsy literature! I think this would be a great option for young children to read and become familiar with poetry.
Naomi
May 16, 2015 Naomi rated it liked it
Poetry from the perspective of farm animals. Sweet, but my favorites of the book were the illustrations.
Kim
Mar 20, 2015 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, poetry
A wonderful compilation of poems that would be an asset for instructing students about poetry. I would love to have this book in the classroom to help in modeling poetry for my students.
Rachel
May 28, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This poetry was very descriptive, without actually saying what it was describing (unless, of course, you looked at the title or the illustration).

I read "Scarecrow." I think that it might be fun to read some of these poems to children and see if they can figure out what is being described... and it can also help them to learn about descriptive writing.
Nielson
May 29, 2008 Nielson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Poem: "From a Distance..." This poem describes sheep and it is wonderfully written. The whole book focuses on the fact that poetry is everywhere in the natural world. With each picture on every page, there is some allusion to poetry whether it be a piece of paper or a pen or pencil. Great book.
Jim
Nov 10, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
i'm not familiar w/the poet, i checked this out because of Minor's art (which is fantastic! look for the poems floating in air, on the water and being munched on).
now i have a new poet to read, so Good.
Matthew
Aug 07, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems told by a girl in a barn loft was just so good. And the thing is, the words were great but the illustrations were even better than that. I really enjoyed this book.
Rachel
Apr 15, 2009 Rachel added it
Shelves: poetry
I read "The Barn" in this book. The illustrations were really cute in this book. This poem was free verse and I don't really think it would appeal to kids.
Lauren
May 07, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing
"From a Distance". I loved how the author described sheeps as tombstones; it was very interesting and intriguing.
Danielle Miskin
May 07, 2008 Danielle Miskin rated it liked it
Poem: From a Distance...

I thought that it was very funny and creative how she described the sheep.
Shannon Clark
Dec 16, 2012 Shannon Clark rated it liked it
My favorite poems from this book were:

Poem about rabbit
Writing past midnight
Hira
Jan 19, 2010 Hira rated it it was amazing
this book is great for helping kids think of mental images!
Aven
Jul 26, 2010 Aven rated it it was ok
Its been a while since I've read this. It was ok.
Austin
Jun 11, 2008 Austin rated it liked it
I read the poem, "A Traditional Frog's Curse".
Cindy Pardew
Jun 19, 2008 Cindy Pardew added it
Muberra
Muberra rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Stacey
Stacey rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Mona
Mona rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Camille
Camille rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Krug
Krug added it
Jul 25, 2016
S. K.
S. K. rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2015
Annemarie
Annemarie rated it really liked it
May 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
191218
Alice Schertle has written more than 40 books, mostly for children. A mother and former elementary school teacher, Ms. Schertle is a graduate of the University of Southern California. Many of her most famous works are poetic in nature, though she writes about a wide variety of topics.
More about Alice Schertle...