Start by marking “What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)” as Want to Read:
What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)

What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys #10)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,356 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
When their detective father asks them to play burglar in order to protect a client's valuable invention from thieves, the Hardy boys find themselves involved in a large and dangerous conspiracy.
Published May 1st 1931 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1931)

To ask other readers questions about What Happened at Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Happened at Midnight

Emma Frank
Apr 27, 2016 Emma Frank rated it it was amazing
The Hardy Boys: What Happened At Midnight by Franklin W. Dixon was a fun book to read. I this story, amateur detectives Frank and Joe Hardy are asked by their detective father to secure a secret radio from his clients house. Mr. Hardy and the owner of the radio were out of town at the time. However, the boys get caught up in a gang of smugglers who also want the radio. Frank and Joe have to capture the smugglers and save the radio. I liked this story because it was an easy read, but not boring. ...more
John Yelverton
Feb 01, 2012 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
A really fun and enjoyable addition to the Hardy Boys mystery book series.
Laura Verret
Jan 03, 2015 Laura Verret rated it really liked it
So maybe the Hardy boys have trespassed a few times – even snuck into crime master’s headquarters on an occasion or two. But this is the first time they’ve ever been asked to break into a house – and by the owner himself!

But Mr. Malcolm Wright, inventor and all around genius, has submitted this extraordinary request. You see, he’s away trying to recover an antique plane and he’s afraid that while he’s gone a gang may try to break in and steal one of his most powerful inventions. It is of paramou
2.5 stars Maybe it's the nostalgia. I've found that I can reread Nancy Drew as an adult and still enjoy them, but I can't find the same appeal in the Hardy Boys stories. I can see why kids would like it, but I'm obviously not the right audience. To its credit it is more action-packed then any ND story I can recall. However, Frank and Joe are not as clever and charming as Nancy.
Kristine Hansen
Jun 24, 2013 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, kids, vintage
I said it before, I'll say it again - I really want more of these of the old vintage variety. Wow, what they did to 'modernize' and 'shorten' the Hardy Boys down in later years was a crime. I really loved this one, lots of suspense, a lot more danger, and a great mystery. The details of a different era just made it that much better - turning this into a historical mystery of sorts. Good heavens, do yourself a favor and track down the OLD copies of these books!
Dharia Scarab
Feb 15, 2016 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Jerry
Aug 14, 2015 Jerry rated it really liked it
A Quickie Review

This series is pretty much Pete and Repeat; this book is once again more of the same...but that isn't a bad thing.

Content Concerns: See my previous reviews.
Edward Davies
The criminals in the Hardy Boys are seriously dumb. In this one a criminal assumes that Frank wearing a fake beard and wig is a member of his gang and tells him all sorts of secrets. What an idiot! And the Hardy’s are just as bad – their dad tells them to keep a valuable box on their person at all times, so they hide it in the boot of their car? Seriously? And if the criminals are so afraid of their boss, why do they grass him up at the drop of a hat? Still, if you can suspend your disbelief tha ...more
Julian Barab
Oct 01, 2014 Julian Barab rated it liked it
Fenton Hardy asks his sons to break into a client's home to take an invention. This is because they had gotten a message from the client saying that burglars are going to take it. When the boys go to get it the burglars show up and they get into a nasty fight. Soon Joe gets kidnapped and Frank has to find him and solve this mystery on why the burglars want this invention. I usually like Hardy Boys books, but this was not my favorite. It may be too young for me. It has been a while since I've rea ...more
Margretchin (Author)
Jan 26, 2016 Margretchin (Author) rated it it was amazing
Oh, boy! We get to play burglar! Joe grinned. Aunt Gertrude. Don't let it go to your heads or you will be in Alcatraz. Mr, Wright and the invention. Snaking in. Car! It might be the thieves. Footsteps. Shorty. We'll have to blow it! The Nasal-voiced man said. This box is the property of Malcolm Wright.
Let me in. I'm a Ham with a message. Larry burton. You stupid overgrown kids! Cole Webber.
You were standing too close trying to listen to the conversation. That's why you tripped.
I'll fly you hom
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger ...more
David King
Mar 31, 2011 David King rated it it was ok
The basic premise of "What Happened at Midnight "which was the 10th Hardy Boy is that the two Hardy Boys, Frank & Joe are initially asked to break into the house of a scientist and retrieve a secret invention and keep it safe from being stolen by a group of smugglers whist he is away. After this, we get taken through stacks of ridiculous adventures that range from Joe being kidnapped to them both parachuting out of a crashing plane.

Overall, I have to admit that I really struggled to make my
Evan_w
May 04, 2011 Evan_w rated it it was amazing
Brenda
May 01, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
Fenton Hardy asks his sons to break and enter into a clients home to secure an invention for the client after he gets a message from burglars that they will steal invention the very next night..bad thing is that while they are doing so, the burglars show up..one day early.
From there its a not stop adventure run, which includes Joe being kidnapped, that story plot was so well written, I knew they'd find Joe, but still had me worried along with Frank and his mom.
Jacq
Mar 10, 2015 Jacq rated it liked it
The Hardy Boys adalah novel serial detektif yang dibuat oleh Franklin W. Dixon, terjemahannya diterbitkan Elex Media Komputindo.

Dalam setiap serinya, The Hardy Boys menyajikan kisah menegangkan penuh petualangan berbeda. Bagaimana tidak, sebab tokoh utamanya, yaitu Joe dan Frank adalah dua kakak beradik anak dari seorang detektif. Tak ayal lagi, mereka mendapat ‘imbas’ kasus-kasus menarik. Layaknya detektif handal, mereka memecahkan berbagai kasus dengan cara mereka, walau seringkali membahayaka
Jared Hemauer
May 03, 2015 Jared Hemauer rated it liked it
Hardy Boys, What Happened at Midnight, by Franklin W. Dixon. This book is a mystery novel. This book was about Frank and Joe Hardy two young detectives who help out there father solve mysteries. In this story Frank and Joe Hardy Find a secret radio that gangs want and also smuggles. I rated this book three out of five stars because it was a good book bu tit was a little slow for me.
Mae
Aug 23, 2015 Mae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, fun, dad
Frank and Joe once again find themselves in a world of trouble when they are put in charge of protecting an invention but end up discovering a smugglers ring.
Joe gets kidnapped and both boys end up in New York all while their father is off with the inventor, poor poor Aunt Gertude and Mrs. Hardy always worried about their boys.
Wahyu Nurasman
Feb 17, 2014 Wahyu Nurasman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
hohoho.....yang ini seru dan menegangkan....akhirnya mereka pergi juga dari bayport >.<

meski cuman sebentar...hahahaha
David Ballesteros
Feb 23, 2015 David Ballesteros rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
What happened at Midnight by Franklin W. Dixon is the best book that I ever read. This was when the Hardy's father asks them to get an invention before burglars get it. After that, they find clues that lead them to who the burglars are. Them the Hardys find the, electronic device and diamond, burglars that lead them closer to their leader. The ringleader finds about this and sends a dangerous person after the hardy boys. Eventually, they find the ringleader, Taffy Marr, with police, they have an ...more
Jim Thomas
Jan 28, 2016 Jim Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Revisiting memories of my childhood. You really can't go home again.
Scott Combs
Dec 28, 2015 Scott Combs rated it liked it
Not their best adventure. Maybe the pre-1960 version was better.
Nathan  Wright
Apr 01, 2015 Nathan Wright rated it it was amazing
Clean and gripping. Not too violent for "tweens".
Claire
Mar 22, 2015 Claire rated it it was amazing
This was so good that I didn't want it to end!
Evan Pinson
Aug 24, 2014 Evan Pinson rated it it was amazing
I read 2 hours and finished the book. I thought it was a great book because it was a real page turner. The story was exciting and action packed.
Chris Hayes
Dec 29, 2015 Chris Hayes rated it it was amazing
Our favorite Hardy Boys mystery so far!
Nov 10, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Least favorite that we've read so far.
Truly
Feb 23, 2011 Truly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jo diculik!
Frank dan Jo punya pacar....!
Gini nih kalo baca loncat-loncat.
Mungkin bukan hal baru cuman baru nemu di buku yang ini he he he he
Kali ini petualangannya rada beda.
Waduh ternyata mereka juga berhadapan dengan musuh yang punya jaringan luas.
Mereka tidak hanya beraksi di kota tempat tinggal mereka namun juga merambah daerah lain

Buku ini membuktikan bahwa dimana kita tinggal akan mempengaruhi sikap
Setelah sekian puluh tahun tinggal dengan detektif, maka si bibi jadi tahu dan waspada akan
Aidan McPhillips
Was a very suspenseful book.
Thurston
Sleuths and Clues.
Car planes and boats...everything for a kid to like....
Kristofer
May 21, 2015 Kristofer rated it really liked it
In which the Boys use slang, dress like they're thirty and wind up washing dishes, 'cause people may take their shit in Bayport, but not in New York.

Also, Mr. Hardy writes dirty letters to Mrs. Hardy.
  • The Last Resort (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys: Super Mystery #5)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 241 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • While the Clock Ticked (Hardy Boys, #11)