Start by marking “God Don't Play (God Don't Like Ugly, #3)” as Want to Read:
God Don't Play (God Don't Like Ugly, #3)

God Don't Play (God Don't Like Ugly #3)

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  1,865 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Annette Goode finally seems to have the perfect life--a handsome husband, a beautiful daughter, and a lovely home. Out of the blue Annette starts to receive hostile letters, vicious phone calls, and menacing. Annette has no idea who's behind the attacks, nor does her best friend, Rhoda. But whoever it is won't rest until they've torn down the life Annette has worked so har ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Dafina (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about God Don't Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Don't Play

Mocha Girl
Mary Monroe returns to Richland, Ohio to visit with Annette and Rhoda, the heroines and survivors of God Don't Like Ugly and God Still Don't Like Ugly. This novel, God Don't Play, picks up some years later, where seemingly not much has changed. A middle-aged, overweight, "Plain Jane" Annette has been promoted to manager at the debt collection agency. She is still happily married to the younger, good-looking, Pee Wee, a successful barbershop owner and operator. Annette's best friend, Rhoda, is st ...more
Maureen Saltarelli
Hard getting through this one, i cheated a little because i was borded.
Pam
I wanted to like this book. I really did. So far, the only book in the series that I found to be almost flawless was God Don't Like Ugly. I've read the two that follow because I want to see how the plot develops and I want to follow the series.

I commend Mary Monroe for her original plot ideas and for the fact that she tells stories that need to be told from a seemingly realistic point of view. Annette's coming to grips with her past and trying to develop a sense of self esteem, Rhoda putting on
Demirasmith
In the book God Don’t Play by Mary Monroe seems to take it to a different level with an exotic twist in the end. In this book she tells a story about a middle aged woman named Annette, who deals major issues in life with her daughter charlotte (6) and husband Peewee Also not to mention her partner in crime Rhonda , and her daughter Jade (17), these two always seem to be caught in a sticky situation with Annette.

Annette has always been in some type of situation, from the time she was raped, to
CMac G
This book is horrible. It badly needs an editor (ridiculous things like she bites her lipstick off when a few paragraphs earlier she says she had walked out of the house without a stitch of makeup and I'd love to do a word search for "so" - every other sentence was she hit me so hard, i breathed so hard, he walked so fast...ugh.) I wish I would have read God Don't Like Ugly instead and stopped there. Because I'm compulsive, I finished it but I wasted time.
Valerie Williams
In this third novel in Monroe's bestselling God Don't series, Annette Goode finally has it all: a sexy husband who adores her, a beautiful young daughter, a comfy house, a good job and a perfect best friend. But why is someone suddenly sending her anonymous hate mail? As the poison pen letters and threatening phone calls become more ugly and violent, Annette takes her friend Rhoda's advice and sets out to discover and expose the culprit. Along the way, she is forced to dust off some of the skele ...more
Mccurry01
I love that it follows the same characters. I love that when the series started they were young kids and you get to read about their lives as they get older. Some of it is graphic and sometimes the f word shows up
Karena
I hadn't read this series in a while. I had the book on my book shelf for a long time, so I decided to dig in and catch up where I left off in Annette's life. Not much has changed besides her marrying and having a child, but someone has been sending her threatening letters in the mail. I must say, I didn't know who was sending the letters at first, But towards the end of the book it started to make sense. I felt a series of mixed emotions while reading this book. I wanted to feel compassion for ...more
Chella
Man...is it just me or is book one the best out of the series?. Really disappointed that I spent money purchasing this book. Since it is a nook book lendable series, the only way i see myself finishing all the books is if I borrow them. In God Don't Play, we find Annette married with a child and happily reunited with estranged family and friends. However, her world starts unraveling as she becomes the victim of anonymous, hateful letters, gifts and calls. Unfortunately, for me, I figured out wha ...more
J
Brittany Alexandria
I actually enjoyed this book.

However, the writing is pretty much the worst I've encountered in a long time. Every other page the author contradicts herself or repeats something said a chapter prior. It reads like the author woke up each morning and just decided to write a new chapter without actually outlining the book. Additionally, a lot of the sentences and wording are awkward at best...overall, to quote another reviewer, this book is in serious need of an editor.

Writing aside, I found the ma
Egan
This might be the stupidest book I have ever read
Sylvia Hester
This book didn't get really good until the last 30 or so pages. I figured out how it was going to end almost instantly. I am such a huge Mary Monroe fan but this novel disappointed me. It seem she was just filling the book with jibberish and kept repeating so many things that I thought I was rereading the same page over but I was just rereading it in a different part of the book. A good book to read over a long weekend if you don't have anything else to read.
E G
this audio was very long. but nevertheless I loved it. omg I cant it was who it was. my soul hurt for Annette. no way she could thought it would be. I had to stop listing for a while to myself. clutching my pearls! oh boy on to part 4.
Brittanniaa
t-o-t-a-l-l-y let down by Mary Monroe on this one. The first two books keep you enticed in the story of Annette Goode and her friends and family yet, this book went into a completely different realm that... well, it shouldn't have. I feel she went over the top with the plot, that i wont spill for anyone, but... i mean it just didn't fit in with the other 2 books.
Tiana Freeman
This book will have you on the edge of your seat. You may even find yourself biting your nails as you try to figure out what is really going on! In the beginning, you'll continue to feel for the beloved characters, but that quickly changes. Mary Monroe keeps the wheels turning throughout this novel. You will be surprised by the outcome.
April
I'm done with this series. I'm not sure why I ever started reading it. The first book was pretty good, the second one was okay and this one was pretty terrible. 350 pages that could have been about 150 pages. The writing was pretty terrible at at times not cohesive and repetitive in several places.
Eddie
Really didn't like this one. Too much negative things going on. I hated the way she was always referred to as being big and black. Who really wear house clothes to work when you are in a management position. Rhoda was too smart in the other books not to see how bad her daughter was.

Alana
I was really annoyed about how Annette handled and confronted situations. She just made things worst for her ALL the time. But i did like this book and the story also the twist. In the back of my mind I knew who it was all along but I didn't want to believe it. Overall this book was good.
Nicki
What a disappointing follow up to the first two books in the series. I absolutely loathed the change in Annette as a character. Also, if Annette would just SAY things, most of the events in this book wouldn't have happened. I was so irritated while reading!
Kelley
Not as impressed with this book as I was with those earlier in the series. It was a little predictable and repetitive. I don't know if I'm going to read the remaining books in the series, as the writing seems to continue in this same fashion. :(
Cara
I read the books before this one, and I really enjoyed those. This book though, I was really disappointed in. It just seemed to repeat the same things over and over again. It was completely predictable. It just seemed way over the top.
Debra Battle
While this book had it's moments, I found myself skipping to the climax of the book to get to a ending I knew was coming. A friend of mine stop read the series after this book and I know why but I like it enough to keep read on.
Tiara
2.5 stars. It was okay, way too predictable and went on way longer than it should. Was not surprised by the "twist" at all. In fact, all the signs were there from the beginning. Nobody just wanted to acknowledge them.
Maitreyee
I guessed who was the caller right at the beginning. It was way too obvious. Poor Peewee! The kind of shit Annette put him through! An entertaining read anyways. The dilemmas and dramas of Annette can never be dull!
Judy
I've read the 3 books before this one and 2 others that Maru Monroe wrote and I didn't enjoy this one as much as the others. You kind of get an idea of "who did it" but the second half of the book picks up.
Shone
Jul 05, 2012 Shone rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no
Shelves: pwoc-bom
This was a re-read to discuss at monthly book club meeting. It was long and boring, Child giver to much insight into the lives of adults. This is the 3rd book in the God series.
Crystal
Intensely suspenseful yet hilarious. Annette has always made poor decisions but I enjoy being a witness to her prosperity. Glad to see Rhoda's still crazy after all these years.
Kambia J.
It was a really nice book but i felt like i was always waiting for the next WOW! part of the story to happen. The book was however better than i expected.
Sontia Levy
I couldn't believe that that little bratt wa sbehind it all. ugh!! I loved this book. must read, Mary Monroe never ceases to amaze me. Genuise
  • I Know I've Been Changed
  • The First Lady
  • Changing Faces
  • Just Too Good to Be True
  • A Sin and a Shame
  • Can't Get Enough
  • When Somebody Loves You Back
I am the third child of Alabama sharecroppers and the first and only member of my family to finish high school. I never attended college or any writing classes. I taught myself how to write and started writing short stories around age four. I spent the first part of my life in Alabama and Ohio and moved to Richmond, California in 1973. I have lived in Oakland since 1984.

My first novel THE UPPER RO
More about Mary Monroe...
God Don't Like Ugly (God Don't Like Ugly, #1) God Still Don't Like Ugly (God Don't Like Ugly, #2) The Upper Room God Ain't Blind (God Don't Like Ugly, #4) Mama Ruby

“ignorance is like a cow that a lot of people can't stop milkin!” 20 likes