Start by marking “The Italian Cook Book the Art of Eating Well - Practical Recipes of the Italian Cuisine - Pastries, Sweets, Frozen Delicates, and Syrup” as Want to Read:

3.18 of 5 stars 3.18  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Many of the earliest books, particularly those dating back to the 1900s and before, are now extremely scarce and increasingly expensive. We are republishing these classic works in affordable, high quality, modern editions, using the original text and artwork.
Published March 4th 2009 by Camp Press (first published March 24th 1919)

Be the first to ask a question about The Italian Cook Book the Art of Eating Well - Practical Recipes of the Italian Cuisine - Pastries, Sweets, Frozen Delicates, and Syrup

Italo Italophiles
The free e-book cookbook is a back-to-basics, farmhouse-style recipe book that features all the classic recipes of the Italian cucina casalinga, Italian housewife cookery.

The Preface stresses that the Italian cuisine is "palatable, nourishing and economical". It also affirms that Italians are: ...among whom the art of living well and getting the most out of life at a moderate expense has been attained to a very high degree. There is also an odd mention of the "splendid manhood and womanhood of I
Ivonne Rovira
Most cookbooks published in 1919 have not aged well. The recipes are either indecipherable (today's recipes have much more precise measurements) or unpalatable according to today's taste (Suet pudding? Fried calf's brains? No thanks!) Maria Gentile's The Italian Cook Book: The Art of Eating Well wears much better. Sure, some of the recipes -- homemade tomato sauce -- won't appeal to busy cooks who value time over pennies; other recipes -- liver and other organ meats -- won't appeal because of ch ...more
Alice Peake
Food economy and creativity

After reading I am more aware of my own food waste which could be turned into a unique meal with the ingenuity of cooks who had less culinary advantages but more "culinary acumen"!
Lawrence
Feb 23, 2014 Lawrence marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
FALSE
Saleris
Interesting. Since there wasn't a chapter/recipe listing in the front, I don't think I could actually use this like a traditional cookbook since I couldn't "search" recipes. Shame. Some of the recipes were interesting enough that I'd like to make them, but since I don't have an idetic memory I'd probably get fed up or distrated before I found the one I wanted.
Mary
Mary added it
May 06, 2015
Jann
Jann marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Justin Kear
Justin Kear marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Kaleena Arnold
Kaleena Arnold marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Mary Margaret Cox
Mary Margaret Cox marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Timiney Mott
Timiney Mott marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Chris Bridges
Chris Bridges marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Beth Skaggs
Beth Skaggs marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
  • Christmas with family & friends
  • The White House Cook Book 1887 Edition
  • Pennsylvania Dutch Cooking
  • easy Appetizer Recipes
  • Easy Vegetarian Recipes
  • The Quinoa Cookbook: Everyday Superfood Recipes for a Gluten-Free Diet
  • Baking Basics and Beyond: Learn These Simple Techniques and Bake Like a Pro
  • The Everything Potluck Cookbook (Everything Series)
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • Salads for Every Season: 25 Recipes from Earthbound Farm
  • Cookie Indulgence:  150 Easy Cookie Recipes
  • Soup and Bread Cookbook: Building Community One Pot at a Time
  • Twenty-Five Cent Dinners for Families of Six
  • 30 Perfect Popcorn Recipes : How to Make Sweet & Savory Gourmet Popcorn at Home (The Green Gourmet)
  • Weber's Time to Grill: Get In. Get Out. Get Grilling.
  • The 2011 Book Blogger's Cookbook (The Book Blogger's Cookbook)
  • 5 Ingredients 15 Minutes Prep Time Slow Cooker Cookbook
  • Easy Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Moms
The Italian Cook Book - Illustrated: The Art of Eating Well (Ethnic Meals 2) Masterpeice of Maria Gentile - The Italy Cook Book (Annotated/ Illustrated) Taste Of Little Italy (Illustrated) The Italian Cook Book: The Art Of Eating Well (1919) THE ITALIAN COOK BOOK:The Art of Eating Well (Kindle Preferred TOC)

“...among whom the art of living well and getting the most out of life at a moderate expense has been attained to a very high degree.” 0 likes
“the splendid manhood and womanhood of Italy” 0 likes