Start by marking “Empire of Unreason” as Want to Read:
Empire of Unreason

Empire of Unreason (Age of Unreason #3)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  606 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
When Sir Isaac Newton uncovered the secrets of alchemy, he could never have imagined the incredible and tragic results. Dark sorcery rules: Europe is lost and the American colonists have been driven south by advancing ice. In an age of unreason, Benjamin Franklin and his secret society, the Junto, manage a precarious existence founded on the mutual trust and cooperation of ...more
Published April 2nd 2009 by Del Rey (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Empire of Unreason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire of Unreason

Joel Flank
Aug 27, 2015 Joel Flank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of the Age of Unreason takes place 10 years after a Calculus of Angels. Ben Franklin has returned to America after saving Venice, founding a secret society called the Junto whos purpose is to protect against warlocks possessed by angels, demons, or malekim as modern scientists refer to the ethereal entities who seek to finally destroy mankind. Adrienne heads the Russian ministry of science, devising new and deadly weapons for Tasr Peter's armies as they continue to sweep across the world. ...more
Adysnewbox
If you've made it this far into the series, you'll probably still enjoy this third entry. Empire Of Unreason (AKA S**** Gets Real In America!) is an interesting alternate take on the founding of the United States. Instead of throwing off King George, we're throwing off the Jacobites, who are really puppets of the demon-controlled Russian Empire! Who have also crossed the Bering Land Bridge and are invading America from the west as well! With airships! And huge death-rays! And Enlightenment-era s ...more
Nicolas
Que peut faire un auteur lorsqu’il a désintégré l’Europe, a failli s’attaquer à l’Afrique, tout en faisant de la Russie une nation légèrement attardée ? Simplement franchir l’Atlantique. Et c’est ce que fait Keyes dans ce troisième tome qui emmène les personnages survivants en Amérique, pour notre plus grand plaisir. Parce que si le deuxième tome était à mon sens un peu loupé, les dix ans d’intervalle qu’il place entre ces deux derniers tomes lui permet de remettre à plat un certain nombre de ch ...more
Sean
Feb 14, 2012 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly i din't think i'd like this book quite as much as i did. Colonial historic fiction/sci-fi/fantasy is a first for me, and admittedly i was a little leery particularly of one starring such famous historical figures as voltaire & benjamin franklin. The whole concept of benjamin franklin leading a secret force against demonic forces trying to take foothold in america and priming an apocalypse was pretty interesting. But altogether it was very well written, strikingly original, and overa ...more
Brie
Sep 19, 2012 Brie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated
Ok so this is the third book of the series and it is by far my least favorite ever. It took me 5 times as long to read as the others because it couldn't seem to grab my attention. It really felt like a whole book where everyone walks around lost not really accomplishing anything as they ever so very slowly get nowhere. I didn't like the weird relationship issues it brought between many of the main characters and I really didn't care for the slow almost non existent way they moved. Yeah it wasn't ...more
Andrew
Aug 02, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK first admission - this book has taken me ages to read and its not all the stories fault - there have been just too many other distractions and other books to read. So why have I marked it down. Well if the story was truly captivating I would not be able to put it down.
OK less of the excuses and more of the book. This is the third of the series and as you would expect they are upping the stakes - the characters you saw come together in the previous books are now heading off on their own adven
Arnoud Visser
Because this book is focused mainly on three characters, it is actually quite well organized for a book about unreason. Looking forward to book 4.
Lucy Gray
May 29, 2015 Lucy Gray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a rollicking good read - better than #2, and now I want to read #4. Good female characters too
Monica Cook
Apr 19, 2016 Monica Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is extremely well written, but I do find myself bored with all the scientific details at times. A solid 4 stars. I am looking forward to finding out how all the stories wrap up in the conclusion.
Robert Negut
Dec 31, 2012 Robert Negut rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am noticing more issues with the writing, but that may well be because I'm looking for them more. Otherwise, it's still a very ambitious story that required an immense amount of work. This time around, the number of answers seems to slowly start to exceed that of new questions, and those answers do make quite a lot of sense, so I'm looking forward to the final book in the series, even though at the same time I dread a potentially disappointing ending or even worse writing.
Anna
Nov 03, 2009 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How exciting! This is one of the most intriguing mish/mash of genres books i have ever read. Benjamin Franklin battling evil angels in a completely steampunk setting alongside Voltaire and other famous historical figures. Such a fun meld of Verne style Sci-Fi, western action, biblical fantasy, high politics and real history. I look forward to reading the first two now.
Andy
A continuation of the Age of Unreason....

Not as good as the first two books, but enjoyable nonetheless.... Demons/Angels seem to be an easy route to control nature, but... are the Malakim angels or demons or both?

After the destruction of London by a comet sent my the French, and the upheaval this causes in Europe and beyond, North America is plunged into war...
Tal
much faster paced than it's predecessors, this is a book of a world at the beginning of a Russio-American war. or rather, the malakim versus humanity. or possibly one woman's search for her son.

in actuality, it's all of the above and i'm now more interested in book 4 :)

Karen
Dec 20, 2010 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I am really struggling with this one... I loved the first book. It took me 2 tries, but I did like the second book. I find that I keep loosing interest in the third one. Is it me? Is it the story line? I don't know...
Violetta
Book #3 has fallen into a dangerous area, where too much of it is spent reviewing plot from previous books, and rehashing conversations and ideas developed in previous chapters.
edifanob
Apr 30, 2008 edifanob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Last but one book of the series. Some unexpected turnarounds. My favorite characters Benjamin Franklin, Red Shoes and Adrienne de Montchevreuil are still alive.
Boyd
Mar 03, 2008 Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great alternative history/fantasy series. You have to read all of them to get the full picture. But I think the first one is still the best book.
Octavio Aragao
The weakest book of the series till now. I don’t know if I will buy the fourth one.
Pickleman
Mar 03, 2012 Pickleman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kris
Definitely looking forward to the next book. Another fun and crazy ride in this one.
Sandro
Nov 10, 2013 Sandro rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
My first steampunk novel. As a scientist I loved it very much.

Lorin Rivers
Dec 01, 2009 Lorin Rivers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Empire of Unreason (The Age of Unreason, Book 3) by J. Gregory Keyes (2001)
Fatbaldguy60
Not bad, one more to go.
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Gowtham Kamath
Gowtham Kamath rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
Erik Nelson
Erik Nelson rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Brandon Petkov
Brandon Petkov rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
John Adams
John Adams rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2016
  • Wild Machines (Book of Ash, #3)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • Lightbringers and Rainmakers
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • Heart of Light (Magical British Empire, #1)
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • Human Nature (Pax Britannia, #3)
  • Ghosts of Manhattan (The Ghost, #1)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • The Dark Deeps (The Hunchback Assignments, #2)
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
  • Anti-ice
  • Fitzpatrick's War
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...

Age of Unreason (4 books)
  • Newton's Cannon (Age of Unreason, #1)
  • A Calculus of Angels (Age of Unreason, #2)
  • The Shadows of God (Age of Unreason, #4)