Empire of Unreason

Empire of Unreason (Age of Unreason #3)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When Sir Isaac Newton uncovered the secrets of alchemy, he could never have imagined the incredible and tragic results. Dark sorcery rules: Europe is lost and the American colonists have been driven south by advancing ice. In an age of unreason, Benjamin Franklin and his secret society, the Junto, manage a precarious existence founded on the mutual trust and cooperation of...more
Published April 2nd 2009 by Del Rey (first published 2000)

Adysnewbox
If you've made it this far into the series, you'll probably still enjoy this third entry. Empire Of Unreason (AKA S**** Gets Real In America!) is an interesting alternate take on the founding of the United States. Instead of throwing off King George, we're throwing off the Jacobites, who are really puppets of the demon-controlled Russian Empire! Who have also crossed the Bering Land Bridge and are invading America from the west as well! With airships! And huge death-rays! And Enlightenment-era s...more
Nicolas
Que peut faire un auteur lorsqu’il a désintégré l’Europe, a failli s’attaquer à l’Afrique, tout en faisant de la Russie une nation légèrement attardée ? Simplement franchir l’Atlantique. Et c’est ce que fait Keyes dans ce troisième tome qui emmène les personnages survivants en Amérique, pour notre plus grand plaisir. Parce que si le deuxième tome était à mon sens un peu loupé, les dix ans d’intervalle qu’il place entre ces deux derniers tomes lui permet de remettre à plat un certain nombre de ch...more
Sean
Honestly i din't think i'd like this book quite as much as i did. Colonial historic fiction/sci-fi/fantasy is a first for me, and admittedly i was a little leery particularly of one starring such famous historical figures as voltaire & benjamin franklin. The whole concept of benjamin franklin leading a secret force against demonic forces trying to take foothold in america and priming an apocalypse was pretty interesting. But altogether it was very well written, strikingly original, and overa...more
Brie
Ok so this is the third book of the series and it is by far my least favorite ever. It took me 5 times as long to read as the others because it couldn't seem to grab my attention. It really felt like a whole book where everyone walks around lost not really accomplishing anything as they ever so very slowly get nowhere. I didn't like the weird relationship issues it brought between many of the main characters and I really didn't care for the slow almost non existent way they moved. Yeah it wasn't...more
Andrew
OK first admission - this book has taken me ages to read and its not all the stories fault - there have been just too many other distractions and other books to read. So why have I marked it down. Well if the story was truly captivating I would not be able to put it down.
OK less of the excuses and more of the book. This is the third of the series and as you would expect they are upping the stakes - the characters you saw come together in the previous books are now heading off on their own adven...more
Robert Negut
I am noticing more issues with the writing, but that may well be because I'm looking for them more. Otherwise, it's still a very ambitious story that required an immense amount of work. This time around, the number of answers seems to slowly start to exceed that of new questions, and those answers do make quite a lot of sense, so I'm looking forward to the final book in the series, even though at the same time I dread a potentially disappointing ending or even worse writing.
Anna
How exciting! This is one of the most intriguing mish/mash of genres books i have ever read. Benjamin Franklin battling evil angels in a completely steampunk setting alongside Voltaire and other famous historical figures. Such a fun meld of Verne style Sci-Fi, western action, biblical fantasy, high politics and real history. I look forward to reading the first two now.
Andy
A continuation of the Age of Unreason....

Not as good as the first two books, but enjoyable nonetheless.... Demons/Angels seem to be an easy route to control nature, but... are the Malakim angels or demons or both?

After the destruction of London by a comet sent my the French, and the upheaval this causes in Europe and beyond, North America is plunged into war...
Tal
much faster paced than it's predecessors, this is a book of a world at the beginning of a Russio-American war. or rather, the malakim versus humanity. or possibly one woman's search for her son.

in actuality, it's all of the above and i'm now more interested in book 4 :)

Karen
I am really struggling with this one... I loved the first book. It took me 2 tries, but I did like the second book. I find that I keep loosing interest in the third one. Is it me? Is it the story line? I don't know...
Violetta
Book #3 has fallen into a dangerous area, where too much of it is spent reviewing plot from previous books, and rehashing conversations and ideas developed in previous chapters.
edifanob
Last but one book of the series. Some unexpected turnarounds. My favorite characters Benjamin Franklin, Red Shoes and Adrienne de Montchevreuil are still alive.
Boyd
This was a great alternative history/fantasy series. You have to read all of them to get the full picture. But I think the first one is still the best book.
Pickleman
Mar 03, 2012 Pickleman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kris
Definitely looking forward to the next book. Another fun and crazy ride in this one.
Sandro
My first steampunk novel. As a scientist I loved it very much.

Lorin Rivers
Empire of Unreason (The Age of Unreason, Book 3) by J. Gregory Keyes (2001)
Fatbaldguy60
Not bad, one more to go.
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Liselot
Liselot marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Carthage Ascendant (Book of Ash, #2)
  • The House of Storms (The Aether Universe, #2)
  • Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2)
  • The Grand Ellipse
  • Heart of Light (Magical British Empire, #1)
  • Gears of the City
  • The Steel Tsar (Oswald Bastable, #3)
  • A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Clockworks and Corsets
  • Queen of Candesce (Virga, #2)
  • Ghosts of Manhattan (The Ghost, #1)
  • A Midsummer Tempest
  • Für die Krone (Magierdämmerung, #1)
  • Captain Nemo
  • Wild Cards and Iron Horses
  • Hot and Steamy: Tales of Steampunk Romance
Gregory Keyes is a writer of science fiction and fantasy who has written both original and media-related novels under both the names J. Gregory Keyes and "Greg Keyes".

Greg Keyes was born in to a large, diverse, storytelling family. He received degrees in anthropology from Mississippi State and the University of George before becoming a fulltime writer.
He lives in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Greg Keyes...
The Briar King (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #1) Conquest (Edge of Victory, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #7) Rebirth (Edge of Victory, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #8) The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2) The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)