Start by marking “Renaissance Florence on 5 Florins a Day” as Want to Read:
Renaissance Florence on 5 Florins a Day

Renaissance Florence on 5 Florins a Day

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Welcome to Florence in 1490. Under the patronage of Lorenzo de’ Medici, no city on earth can match its culture, learning, art, and naked ambition. Here, in the cradle of the Renaissance, you’ll meet the great banking families and traders who have made Florence rich, and the philosophers and artistic geniuses who have helped it become one of the most exciting places to be i ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Thames & Hudson (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Renaissance Florence on 5 Florins a Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renaissance Florence on 5 Florins a Day

Becca
Jul 01, 2014 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I just have to say how much of a pleasure it is to finally find a beautiful hard-cover book with a tight-fitting dust-cover; one that more importantly doesn't slide off every fifteen seconds.

I had this book on my shelf for a while, and eventually decided to read it a couple of weeks before I visited Florence. In hindsight it would have been better to take it to Florence and read it while I was there. But even reading it when I did, Renaissance Florence on Five Florins a Day was a l
Dale
I must confess, contrary to my well established practise of finishing a book if I start it, I have not indeed read the entire book. Written in the style of a Lonely Planet guidebook I felt justified in sampling through such as one might with the Lonely Planet. Anyway - I found this an amusing enough experience - but to be honest it was a tad lacking in insight and polish. At times I felt the book couldn't quite decide if it was written in 1490's or the 2010's - some more attention to detail edit ...more
sabisteb
Mar 10, 2011 sabisteb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buch, sachbuch
Florenz für 5 Florentiner am Tag ist der vierte Band der Reiseführer in die Vergangenheit und behandelt nach London eine weitere Stadt der Renaissance.

Die anderen Bände der Reihe sind:
Athen für 5 Drachmen am Tag: Eine Stadt vor 2500 Jahren
Rom für 5 Denar am Tag: Ein Reiseführer in die Antike
Shakespeares London für 5 Schilling am Tag: Eine Stadt in der Renaissance

Auch dieser Band, der das Florenz der Renaissance im Jahre 1490 zum Thema hat, ist aufgebaut wie ein moderner Reiseführer, nur richtet
Linda Hiemstra
Aug 08, 2015 Linda Hiemstra rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. There is something of a dearth of books on what daily life was like in the Italian renaissance (most focus on the art, understandably). This book lays out clearly and with a sense of humor how to spend your day and go through day to day life in 1490 Florence. Especially fun since I'm a fan of the Showtime series The Borgias so it was fun to get a glimpse of the city just two years before Rodrigo Borgia was made pope!

I do wish there had been a little more about women and
Sandra Strange
Oct 25, 2010 Sandra Strange rated it really liked it
If you want to learn about Renaissance life as real people lived it, this is the book for you. Written in the format of a modern travel guide book, the book features short articles about pertinent topics from daily life "shops and markets" and "the role of women" to "the cathedral" to "Leonardo da Vinci," with copious illustrations and informative sidebars. The book is informative, breezy and fun to read. Meant as an informal historical treatment of the Renaissance city, the book would still ser ...more
Alyssa
On of the more interesting ways to learn about the culture/history of Renaissance Florence and Tuscany, this book is a historical take on the 'Europe on a shoestring budget' idea.
Ann
Jul 31, 2010 Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, history
I enjoyed this one a lot more than the Ancient Rome and Ancient Athens books...but I have to say that it might be because I knew a lot more about those topics than this one going in.

That said, I still think using a tourist guide as a concept for a history book is fun and clever, and the book is chock full of interesting tidbits.

Awful book cover. Don't judge by it.
Donna Jones
Easy-to-read, interesting book on what your life would be like if you were a visitor to Florence during the Renaissance. Talks about daily life, the influential families in Florence at that time, leading artists, but, most interestingly, the types of things you'd expect in any guidebook, except in this one you're transported back in time.
Gavin
Aug 23, 2011 Gavin rated it it was amazing
I totally enjoyed the idea of a travel book set in the 15th century and inviting travelers to recent travel sites that still can be found today. I just returned from Florence and I have to say that I used this book more than my modern guides and was completely satisfied.
Anne Elizabeth
Oct 13, 2011 Anne Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I do like this one. I have to agree with Dad, tho: five florins a day is living pretty "high off the hog." A florin is a gold coin, expect when it's silver equivalent to a gold coin. Then again, this book concentrates on the rich and powerful, not on the common laborer. {Smile}
Jun 16, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More like 4.5 stars but I'll round up. It was very informative; there were minor errors and at times the author drifted away from the whole idea that the book was supposed to be taking place in 1490. But I enjoyed it!
Fabiela
Feb 21, 2012 Fabiela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
I got this book just before i went to Florence in October 11. I thought it would help experience it in a diferent "old" way - It didn't - I love Florence but i dont think this book help in any way.
A.C. Smyth
May 19, 2014 A.C. Smyth rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Gave up about 3/4 of the way through. This could have been entertaining, but was actually quite dull, and the author repeats himself a lot, especially about Cosimo and Lorenzo de' Medici.
Redsteve
Disappointing. An extremely cursory look at late 15th Century Florence. Shakespeare's London on 5 Groats a Day did it better.
Barbara VA
Dec 10, 2011 Barbara VA rated it really liked it
Fun travelogue to read after "Room With A View", I am ready to go back and spend a few days on a new kind of visit.
Laurie
Jun 09, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
Loved the 1490 tour of Florence. This was a very enjoyable read. The quotes and commentaries are fun.
Abraham Ray
Apr 30, 2015 Abraham Ray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trivia, history
Nice book of history!
The Master
Aug 30, 2011 The Master rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing faux-travelogue.
Hunter Driscoll
Hunter Driscoll rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Richard Pham
Richard Pham marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Tomas
Tomas rated it liked it
May 01, 2016
Andrew Fox
Andrew Fox rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Rupashree Dass
Rupashree Dass rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Beatrix
Beatrix rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2015
Traveling Diva
Traveling Diva marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Veronika's ReaderFeeder
Veronika's ReaderFeeder rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
Louisep
Louisep rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2015