Content Area Reading: Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum

Content Area Reading: Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Content Area Reading "remains the market-leading text in content literacy and maintains the authors' original objective-to offer an ambitious, coherent, and workable exploration of content literacy. Celebrating its 30th university, Vacca, Vacca, and new-to-this-edition co-author Mraz, have written this text to be an active learning tool, complete with real-world examples...more
Published January 29th 2010 by Pearson (first published 1998)

Anna
This is a really useful resource for middle and high school teachers. I think the middle chapters are probably most useful because they actually tell you what to do Before, During, and After reading. The beginning was a bit too "overview-ish" for me (too much fluff). The final section also seemed a bit redundant. But overall very good!
Rebecca Radnor
As a student in a teacher's training program, I can only WISH that the rest of my textbooks were this good (they aren't). Our teacher on giving us the book said, 'you're going to want to use this as a resource for classroom exercises for the rest of your careers... I go back to it for ideas all the time.' Basically the textbook completely makes the argument for how teaching reading is ALL of our problems (even the P.E. teachers) and offers suggestions of how to teach it in your classrooms.

The b...more
J
Over promised and under-delivered.

It is busy, over populated with 'reading aids' ostensibly edited and re-edited that the final irony is that this book fails as a reading book that claims to be a guide for teaching students how to read. All the boxes, aqua green colored inserts, shading, side-bar commentary and peppering with - references dating back to 1979 - only interferes with whatever the authors are trying to get across.

This tenth edition tome should have been retired a few editions ago....more
Rebecca Radnor
It's a text book *shrug* but as text books go.... I'm actually learning stuff that might be useful and it's chock full of resources that I might actually access again once I'm teaching, which is more than you can say for the average text book. The authors seem to think of it as sort of a cookbook for classrooms, full of recipes for things to do, and ingredient suggestions in the way of good books that kids might like and how the books can be integrated into different content areas... it also inc...more
Richard
This book has many great ideas on ascertaining students' reading levels and on ways to engage students more in reading, which I began to incorporate in my teaching as I read along. But I found the book, itself, tedious. Ironic, given that it is a book that explores the difficulties of teaching with texts. I think this is because I was reading it in the context of a class, so I felt compelled to keep track of a lot of extraneous information. As a resource I can reach for when I need it, it will b...more
Jww
This text--that I have assigned--is full of good information. The bad thing is that the authors seldom take their own advice. The book is WAY too dry. One of their theses is that to get students interested in reading, we need to try to make the readings relevant to them, to problematize the text, to give anecdotes or funny stories that exemplify the point. Not so with Vacca & Vacca (now in its 10th Edition). I'm tired of this text and doubt I'll use it--at least in its entirety--ever again!
Kelli Perkins
Vacca and Vacca’s book, Content Area Reading: Literacy and Learning across the Curriculum, provides teachers with a balanced view of theory and practice so they may assist their students to become better readers. The book offers suggestions for making content texts more accessible, and equips teachers with the tools to make it happen. Recommended for new and established educators who would like to increase student achievement in all curricular areas.
Joe
This text is incredibly redundant and elementary. The concepts outlined by the text provide either a surface-level understanding, or represent ideas that are difficult to connect in the classroom with relevance.

That being said, there is always something to take away from a book like this, and it does offer some pertinent information (hence the two-star rating).
Julie Miller
Pretty dense. Very current (2011 copyright). Loaded with strategies and activities for teaching reading in any content area, and at different grade levels.

Read for college summer class. Lots to learn from this text. Some activities/assessments/evaulations could be incorporated into my classroom, but mostly a teacher's learning tool.
Kristin
Although this book definitely reads like a dull textbook at times, it is still a valuable resource for content area teachers K-12 looking to implement more reading resources and strategies into their classrooms. It has many useful examples, activities, and teacher anecdotes along the way and a detailed appendix in the back.
Paula Frank
This book is a great resource to have in your classroom to help with literacy of your students.
Liz
This is a great resource for reading strategies. It has great ideas to improve reading across the curriculum and is a good resource for all teachers to know how to improve reading in their specific subject.
Kristine
Apr 24, 2014 Kristine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristine by: ACT
Shelves: education
One of the very few education textbooks I found worth reading. Good activities for English teachers: story impressions, word sorts, creating a perspective, tableaus, readers' theatre.
One of the worst textbooks I have ever read (or skimmed). This book is so dry it is impossible to read and comprehend. It gave me a headache.
Juliette
One of the last required books for my teaching license. Wooo!
This textbook is okay, but I like Cris Tovani's much better.
Jessica
How amazing! Kids have to understand what they're reading in order to learn from it! What a novel concept!
Chris
Has some good information, and contains some solid instructional strategies.
Ms. Moore
So far I think it's one of my most useful textbooks!
Jd
Pretty average teaching textbook. Not my favorite.
JeNee Phillips
JeNee Phillips marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Leonie
Leonie added it
Jul 02, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Content Area Reading Content Area Reading: Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum, Mylabschool Edition Reading and Learning to Read Content Area Reading: Literacy and Learning Across the Curriculum, 11/e Reading and Learning to Read, Mylabschool Edition