Start by marking “The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys, #24)” as Want to Read:
The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys, #24)

The Short-Wave Mystery (Hardy Boys #24)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,438 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
When thieves hijack a collection of stuffed animals from a country auction, Frank and Joe Hardy pursue the getaway car and are drawn into a thrilling mystery. At the same time, the young detectives father famed private investigator Fenton Hardy is tracking down an industrial spy ring. This suspense-filled story of pursuit and detection will keep the reader breathlessly fol ...more
Published March 1st 1945 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published February 28th 1945)

To ask other readers questions about The Short-Wave Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Short-Wave Mystery

John Mosman
May 11, 2017 John Mosman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel
I read all the Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew, and Tom Swift books as a kid. These series are the reason I became a life long reader. So I just got a hankering to read one for nostalgia sake. Fun!
Christina
Pulled this off the shelf at Grandma's. Fine plot involving taxidermy and short-wave radios, whatever. What stands out in this particular book (perhaps all Hardy Boys books?) is how often they call Chet (the boys' best chum) "fat." Or "stout." As in, "By the time the two brothers had reached their fat friend's side..." or "The fat boy sat on the sidelines..." or "we've certainly left our fat friend in the lurch for a long time..." (all actual quotes). The best one? A ransom note from the bad guy ...more
jaspreet   Kaur
Feb 01, 2017 jaspreet Kaur rated it really liked it
it was a good book but Nancy drew rocks. i love reading detective novels they bring a wide era of views to one. i liked the way everything was explained . i loved the brother bonding and a message for crime against poaching . it was thrilling .
Frank
I spent a few hours rereading the OT of The Short-Wave Mystery. This is one of the few Hardy Boys stories where I actually remembered some of the details from when I first read it as a kid in the 1960s - I remembered that Chet's hobby in this one was taxidermy and also that the mystery had something to do with Hudson's Bay.

Well I would rate this one as just average based on my reread. The plot had to do with the theft of radio parts by a gang led by Spike Hudson. There were several warehouses in
Christopher C
Sep 26, 2016 Christopher C rated it really liked it
September (1st book report)
Hardy Boys: The Short-Wave Mystery
Franklin W. Dixon

In this book Frank And Joe also known as the Hardy boys go on an adventure to hunt down the people behind the Short Wave Mystery. As Frank and Joe were in their study upstairs in their room a scrambled voice came over their short wave radio. It was just their friend Chet the one that loved to eat and was a little on the heavy side but he had more important stuff to talk about he told them about how he had got into taxi
Spencer
The book, Hardy Boys The Short-Wave Mystery by Franklin W. Dixon is about the hardy brothers finding a mysteryious cabin in the woods that belongs to an elder. That night they wait outside to see who will come out and a little boy comes out and says that it's his uncles cabin and he came at night so he could see him because his parents do not like seeing him or their son seeing him. So they bring him home and question him about what he was doing their and why he was really out their so late.
In
John Parker
Picked this one up for two reasons: it is about radio in the golden age and it was a first edition for a $1.50.
I must admit, I've always had a fondness for this series and those snooping boys. Better yet, Dixon's stories are simple and fast moving fun. I'm not sure they are still relevant, but they provided me with a nostalgic journey back to a time 25 years after they were published when I first encountered them as a very young reader. They were relevant then, but the world didn't move as fast
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps.
The two boys live in the fictional city of Bayport (on Barmet Bay) with their famous father, Fenton Hardy, a private detective formerly with the New York Police Department, their mother Laura Hardy (erroneously called Mildred in The Flying Express), and their Aunt Gertrude, a char
Lowr3nzo
This book was very good maybe a little to easy for an eighth grader but overall i liked this book. the author really knows how to describe things mainly because its a mystery and mysteries are supposed to put emotion in you.I love reading mysteries and sometimes the book is just to easy i figure it out in the beginning but this one was different i actually had to read to find out i loved this book and would recommend this book for younger kids.
Cameron
Oct 24, 2016 Cameron rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
i got this book at a yard sale in the "free" box. these are well known so I thought I would give it a try. Not bad at all if I might say so. i try to read classics as if I was reading it back when it was written. this was written in 1966 and I did like it, I loved the old school language: phrases like, "far out" " don't be a bear" or they drove to the airport and took off in a "sleek jet".
i think young kids would still like these books today.
Spencer Byrne
May 11, 2015 Spencer Byrne rated it liked it
The Short Wave Mystery is about a mysterious cabin they find in the woods. In the cabin is an uncle and his grandson. They rise suspicion and capture the boy as he comes out the cabin to question him.
This book was not the greatest book I have read. I didn't like how the author wrote the story.
I would not recommend this book to anyone really. I didn't like it but someone else mite.
1NickV
Oct 28, 2015 1NickV rated it it was amazing
This was a suspenseful book that that describes the adventure of the two Hardy brothers. Their mission was to solve who was stealing the taxidermy animals and who was talking on the short- wave radio.
Chris Hayes
Oct 17, 2016 Chris Hayes rated it really liked it
Charlie and I continue our reading adventure through my childhood favorites, the Hardy Boys. We really liked this one even though Chet's hobby in this one was a bit out there - taxidermy. Think the traveling that took place and some the quirky characters made it fun for us.
Brandon O'Neill
Dec 28, 2009 Brandon O'Neill rated it liked it
Shelves: youthlit
I've been enjoying Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew TV show from the 1970's, so I wanted to give them a read in book form. Choose it based on the cover, since I am in snow and ice. They didn't actually get to the snow and ice until the end of the book, but that's OK.
Sbb1  Eco-friendly Functional Art
This was a good old action packed Hardy Boys mystery I enjoyed it), only thing that got me was that their father sent them on really dangerous missions a couple of times, had them miss a couple of days of school a couple of times and everything (hilarious).
Ron
Aug 24, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Clark
Nov 17, 2011 Clark rated it really liked it
Shelves: hardy-boys
Ham radio, taxidermy, industrial espionage, and salvaged youth--all concluding in Timmins, Canada. What's not to like?
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Jacob
Mar 17, 2012 Jacob added it
read and enjoyed these books when I was primary school.
Kolan
May 22, 2012 Kolan rated it really liked it
read when I was 10 through 13
Jerry
Oct 14, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it
Another day, another Hardy Boys mystery.
Partridge Public
Sep 20, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: JF Dix
Shelves: juniorfiction
Dixon, Franklin W.
Ruthie Jones
Jul 25, 2010 Ruthie Jones rated it it was amazing
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
Yet another word tought to me by the HB: "Ham Radio"
Jim Sampson
Oct 11, 2011 Jim Sampson rated it really liked it
The hardy boys series is a great and fun read. This one was gery good.
Marts  (Thinker)
May 25, 2009 Marts (Thinker) rated it really liked it
Shelves: hardy-boys-books
A mystery surrounding the theft of a collection of stuffed animals.
Sem
Mar 09, 2014 Sem rated it liked it
Shelves: youth-fiction
Black market radios! Oh my. Such derring-do.
Jason
Aug 07, 2014 Jason rated it it was amazing
A great mystery with unexpected twists. A great read to share with your boys!
Bryan
Jun 30, 2014 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ya
One of the better books in the series for my taste. Taxidermy and ham radios and industrial espionage...
Underwood Family
Jan 07, 2015 Underwood Family rated it really liked it
Shelves: with-the-boy
I read this to my seven year old son, who loved it!
  • The Last Resort (A Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys: Super Mystery #5)
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)