Start by marking “Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers: How a First Lady Changed America” as Want to Read:
Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers: How a First Lady Changed America

Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers: How a First Lady Changed America

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Bluebonnets and lady's slippers, larkspurs and blazing stars, black-eyed Susans and Granny's nightcaps. From a lonely childhood in the Piney Woods of East Texas to an exciting life in the White House, Lady Bird Johnson loved these wildflowers with all her heart. They were her companions in her youth, greeting her everywhere as she explored wild forests, bayous, and hills. ...more
Published March 1st 2005 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers

Amy
I have always liked Lady Bird Johnson. She was a classy First Lady, and let's face it, she must have had some kind of grit to live with and love Lyndon Baines Johnson (also someone I admire, and feel unease about in equal measure)!

This was a lovely biography of Mrs. Johnson, and it focused on how her love of nature, and flowers in particular, sustained her throughout her life. My grandmother and grandfather were gardeners, and their love of gardening has been passed down through three generation
Kari
The story of Lady Bird Johnson's life which resulted in the creation of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, in Texas. The theme of wildflowers is used beautifully throughout the book and is its heart. An engaging way to tell a true story.
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
Claudia Alta Taylor was born on December 22, 1912 in Texas. Her nanny called her Lady Bird because she was pretty. This book tells the life of Lady Bird Johnson from her birth to her days in school to marrying Lyndon B Johnson and becoming the First Lady of the United States. Lady Bird Johnson with the help of her husband was able to get Congress to pass the “Highway Beautification Act” which cleaned up all the roads across America and planted wildflowers in the trash and junk’s place.

Why I like
sarafem
Ladybird Johnson, Lyndon B.'s old lady, had an interesting life and made our highways pretty. Bully for her. No really, it's a great book, I kind of wondered if Miss Rumphius wasn't styled after her once I read this. I wanted to give it five stars but it had this one scene that just made the old broad look kind of crazy and didn't really go anywhere. Like apparently she loved wildflowers so much that she trespassed onto someone else's wildflower-covered property and threw herself in front of a t ...more
Mrs. Tongate
A great read for Environmental Art to remind students to do their share to make their community a prettier place. Whenever you travel and see fields of wildflowers, be sure to wave to them and thank Miss Lady Bird.

Wildflowers: bluebell, bluebonnet, butterfly weed, common plantain, fire whelk, Indian paintbrush, pink evening primrose, purple coneflower, purple horse mint, rosebay rhododendron, yellow American lotus.
Elaine
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't spectacular. It contains the history about LBJ's wife, how she grew up and the suffering she faced that was eased by wildflowers. It explains why she loved wildflowers so much that she had them planted along all the highways. The highlight of the book are the illustrations. They are the kind of pictures that have all sorts of lovely little things hidden in them.
Camille
Kathi Appelt honored the first lady and reminded us that she changed the way we look at the landscape with her 2005 book, Miss Lady Bird's Wildflowers. Joy Fisher Hein's joyful illustrations capture the beauty of the flowers and Lady Bird's gracious and loving spirit. Hein shares the thank you letter she had from Mrs. Johnson about the book on her website. Based on the number of copies I have cataloged at various libraries I know that this book has joined dePaola's in every school library in Tex ...more
Jazzmin
What a beautiful book and a lovely portrayal of not only Lady Bird Johnson's life and passion for wildflowers, but of Texas. The illustrations in this book are absolutely enchanting... I got lost in the pages of colorful scenery, forests, and countryside.
It was really interesting learning about Lady Bird's life from her childhood to her later years and finding out some things I never knew about her story and what she did for America as far as beautification.

Beautiful book!
Benita
Gorgeous illustrations--I read it after reading Miss Rumphius to the same kids in a fiction/nonfiction pairing about making the world more beautiful. Didn't even realize until recently that it had a picture puzzle integrated into the illustrations--with unnamed wildflowers (unnamed until the key at the end of the book) in illustrations throughout the book. Had fun going back and finding the flowers with the kids.
Suzan
You never know how your troubles may prepare you for strength in the future.

Ladybird's love of flowers came from the comfort they gave her after her mother died. Later, as First Lady, she was able to translate this comfort into the beauty we all enjoy today - wildflowers along the Texas highways, less trash and the cherry trees in Washington, D.C.
This biography of Lady Bird Johnson emphasizes her love of wildflowers. She encouraged the planting of more flowers and trees wherever she lived, including more cherry trees in DC. She encouraged the Highway Beautification Act, which passed. This story is written from a different angle for a biography and is wonderfully done. Picture book.
Acton
In preparation for a wonderful trip to the Wildflower Center, we learned about Lady Bird Johnson's hero's journey.
Paul Delacruz
Nice little story about Lady Bird Johnson's life and the love for the outdoors especially wildflowers.
Beautiful pictues and story about Lyndon B.'s wife and her love of nature and flowers.
Abby Turner
Very readable book with lovely illustrations. I found it interesting.
Buxmont Uu
Experiences with the Web of Life Flowers & Weeds
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Jaksen
Jaksen marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Erin Moulton
Erin Moulton marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Darla
Darla marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Sheryl
Sheryl added it
Oct 16, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lives in College Station, TX with husband Ken and four adorable cats.

Two sons, both musicians.

Serves on the faculty at Vermont College of Fine Arts in the MFA in Writing for Children and Young Adults Program.
More about Kathi Appelt...
The Underneath Keeper The True Blue Scouts of Sugar Man Swamp Down Cut Shin Creek: The Pack Horse Librarians of Kentucky Mogie: The Heart of the House