Start by marking “Boże inwazje: Życie Philipa K. Dicka” as Want to Read:
Boże inwazje: Życie Philipa K. Dicka
Preview

Boże inwazje: Życie Philipa K. Dicka

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  891 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Życie Philipa K. Dicka - jak on sam przyznawał - do złudzenia przypominało fabułę dowolnego z jego dzieł, "aż do takich szczegółów jak fałszywa pamięć i osobowość". W tej barwnej, fascynującej, dobrze udokumentowanej biografii Lawrence Sutin śledzi skomplikowane i zagadkowe losy twórcy Ubika - trudne dzieciństwo, blaski i cienie kariery pisarskiej, zaburzenia psychiczne, p ...more
Hardcover, 2nd edition, 416 pages
Published January 2005 by Dom Wydawniczy REBIS (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Boże inwazje, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boże inwazje

Lyn
Philip K. Dick was a rock star.

He was not Eric Clapton, or Paul McCartney, or Mick Jagger anymore than he was Robert A. Heinlein or Isaac Asimov or Arthur C. Clarke – but he was the legendary underground icon whom they all respected and feared.

Most any article or story about Rock legends will invariably come around to the early personalities that they worshipped on their way up. In clipped but adoring reminiscences in Liverpool English, the listener will be regaled in awed hyperbole about this “
Erik Graff
Oct 03, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dick fans
Recommended to Erik by: Michael Miley
Shelves: biography
It has been customary for my old roommate and I to visit one another at least annually. I usually go in the fall, visiting the Bay area in order to delay the onset of winter by a couple of weeks. I travel light--just a knapsack and a satchel--because I know that my host will have many interesting books to read available during my stay.

In 1994 Michael was living in the Haight, in a avocado-green apartment building next to the more impressive mansion occasionally inhabited by the actor Danny Glove
M.L. Rudolph
1989. There are several ways to go about your discovery of PKD. You can read his best novels; you can read his best stories; you can scrounge around garage sales and on-line for old magazines with his earliest works; you can read essays and interviews by and about him in those old mags, and increasingly in the "mainstream" periodicals as his work caught on and the "mainstream" caught up; you can rent the movies made from his novels and stories then you can read the underlying works and compare t ...more
Chris
Very readable and quick flowing biography, well-suited for those readers of Philip K. Dick looking to learn more about his life and perhaps structure their reading of his books in a more purposeful/enjoyable fashion.

Personally, I know that I will continue reading his earlier and mid-period SF (probably up to UBIK [published 1969]) and really immerse myself in it before I move onto any of the other, later stuff, and probably never really dip into the non-SF works - but perhaps some of his essays
Charles Dee Mitchell
Answer the following True or False questions about the life of Philip K. Dick.

1) PKD's twin sister, Jane, died in the first months of her life from malnutrition and poor home care.

2) Later in life, PDK liked to imagine that his sister was living and a lesbian.

3) In high school, PKD's agoraphobia was at times so bad that he could not go to public events such as concerts. Later he was comfortable in only one Chinese restaurant that had very high sides to its booths.

4) PKS was on amphetamines from
Carla Remy
My love for P K D grew in a bed of mystery. I don't understand his choices as a writer and this thrills me. Maybe it would be conceited to claim to understand most writer's choices, but usually, even if I'm in awe of them, at the end I can understand why they did what they did. But with Dick, it isn't that easy. It isn't easy to define him or why he's so powerful a storyteller, when his stories elude simple definition. So I fall back on the mysterious, the idiosynchratic, the inscrutable. His wo ...more
Scott Holstad
This was an excellent biography of Philip K Dick to read. It was thoroughly researched and well written. It started from his birth to his upbringing to the beginning of his writing career, through the career, his relationships with his five different wives and with his three children, his bizarre experiences, and his death in 1982. It was a very comprehensive book. And it was fascinating. I never knew -- and still don't know how or why -- that Dick was SO very obsessed with his twin sister, who ...more
Williwaw
I'm unclear whether my two stars are really an evaluation of the book or an evaluation of Philip K. Dick's life. Dick had many bad habits: he ingested too many drugs; got involved with too many women (often they were half his age); over-analyzed his spiritual visions; ate bad food; didn't exercise; had several children that he more or less abandoned; wrote whole novels in two or three week stints, after which he'd collapse for several days.

Lawrence Sutin probably deserves five stars for all the
Ben Loory
4 stars for biographical content, not for enjoyability. pkd has always been my favorite author, now i can't help but think of him as kind of a dick. which is kind of annoying. but whatever.

i don't know why i read this book anyway. learning facts about artists' lives is to my mind never a good thing. colors everything, adds an extraneous real-world slant to the works, which should stand on their own. my bad.

the big fault of this book, as far as i'm concerned, is this: pkd was manic-depressive and
Joshua Buhs
Perhaps too sympathetic.

Lawrence Sutin’s biography of Philip K. Dick is good—solid research and writing. I especially like the emo chapter titles. (“Phil’s Marriage Mimics ‘Reality by Coming Apart at the Seams, A Vision in the Sky Inspires the Most Brilliant Invasion of Earth Story Ever Written, and, Country Squire No More, Phil Moves to East (Gak!) Oakland, Gets Weird, and Finds a New Wife (1963-1965).”)

The story starts with Dick’s family life, which was especially gothic: his twin sister died
Michael
This biography is very interesting. I knew very little about Dick's life beforehand. The writing's pretty uneven, though, and I'm not the sort of person who appreciates dewy-eyed enthusiasm for the era of recreational drug use (and subsequent self-destruction of the users).

I may need to make a pilgrimage to Dick's grave soon. Since I live in Colorado, I feel obligated!
Bruno Alves
(Acessível em http://adlectorem.wordpress.com/2014/...)

Imagino que, na confecção de uma biografia, a questão da verificabilidade das informações sempre pose uma questão fundamental para o autor. Quando apostamos em traçar uma linha de vida a partir de depoimentos, correspondências e confissões, temos que acreditar que o que está sendo dito (ainda mais quando se referem a causos de uum passado distante) são de fato os acontecimentos que ocorreram. E aí temos outro problema fundamental: a memória,
Hadrian
A mildly informative biography on PKD that focuses a bit too much on his marriages and a bit too little on his fiction and a literary analysis thereof.
Mike
The first major biography of Philip K. Dick. If I'm not mistaken, it was first published in 1989, and I read for the first time in about 1990. While I think Sutin is a fan, he hasn't written a hagiography. Sutin often points out Dick's contradictory, revisionist or confused accounts of events and relationships. Dick was a complicated guy, and not above giving a distorted picture of his own actions.

In re-reading, I was favorably impressed by the author's careful reading of Dick's works. He has f
Mike
Over the past two years or so, I’ve read the biographies of four writers- Kurt Vonnegut, Jerzy Kosinski, David Foster Wallace and Philip K. Dick- and have grouped them together in my mind, probably for no particular reason. Out of the four, or at least the depictions of them I found in the biographies, I liked Vonnegut the least as a person; Kosinski’s life was the most depraved; and life was probably the most difficult for Philip K. Dick (although Wallace was a close second in this category). D ...more
Allan Nail
I don't read literary biographies that often. In fact, I'm hard pressed to remember the name of a single one I've read. Part of the reason is I really hate the author-worship that surrounds so much of literature these days. The writer becomes so big, I can't help but think of them even when I'm reading their stuff. This is largely why I've never read David Foster Wallace, and likely never will.

But Philip K. Dick is different and I'm willing to make an exception here. Oh, I'll make other excepti
Stephen
Sep 21, 2008 Stephen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, period.
Imagine the difficulty author Sutin must have had.

He had to summarize all of Dick's major works, which he did astonishingly well. Then he had to describe Dick's writing techniques, which he showed us better than anyone has ever done before or since. He also had to re-assemble the guy's whole life from interviews with drug-addled near-transients hobos, ex-wives who hated him....etc. And finally he had to describe the strange and singular phenomenon of Dick's professed experience of living two co
Piotr
Amazing book about one of my favorite writers. It is full of scenes from life of Dick. The author doesn't asses but concentrate on facts. The book gives you a knowledge how crazy and brilliant Dick was.
Cameron Kunzelman
This book took me a very long time to read. It is a very specific and fine-grained historical account of PKD's life. I liked it.
Jim
So this is really the best Philip K Dick novel... it's all in there.
Rupert
Dec 17, 2007 Rupert rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: tiny princess anne
Really well written biography of a supremely interesting life. Mind blowing to read the poetry dealing with spirituality that Dick wrote when he was only five and six. Makes me wonder what he would have created in this era of more open ended non genre writing. In the fifties he had his "mainstream" novels versus his "science fiction" novels, but if he could have felt free to blend more the results would've been interesting. Not that he didn't already leave us one of the richest bodies of contemp ...more
Tone
I usually judge the authenticity of a biography on how willingly the author shows the subject's warts, this book has a whole lot of warts. And it really makes me wonder if PKD is someone I would like in person.
But, still it was a fascinating life, how much of this man's life and work was determined my his relationship with his mother is a little disturbing. Can an artist ever be free from their upbringing?
not a pretty picture. be prepared to appreciate dude's genius despite his many shortcomings.

many spoilers—read PKD's best works first (ie Man In The High Castle, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly, Martian Time-Slip, The Zap Gun, Counter-Clock World, Valis and maybe even some others...)

Also, and in much the same way as PKD's fictions:
This book may have reality-altering properties.
Phillip
I highly recommend this biography of Philip K. Dick that leads to and focuses upon PKD's mystical experience in 2-3-74. The author presents things in Dick's life that might have contributed to the 2-3-74 event. He posses possibilities of what it could have been or meant. He also describes Dick's literary output and evaluates the value of each piece.
ahdid
An honest and gripping portrait of the greatest American science fiction writer and imagination of all time. I was particularly please by how Sutin dispelled myths that PKD was simply "insane" and "paranoid." He looked deeper into PKD's spiritual writings and philosophy, was never dismissive, but also did not sugar-coat anything.
Cameron
Only for the PKD fans - maybe. I had often wondered where he got the inspiration for his characters and settings - disturbingly it was fairly close to home. On a level it detracts from my PKD experience, dropping him from inspired imaginative genius to only a very good writer who was living and writing ahead of the curve.
Tamara
Sutin neither holds Dick up as a paragon nor casts him into the dirt as so much human wreckage...instead we get a Philip K. Dick who was a flawed human being who lived his life searching for meaning through his work. If you're a fan of Philip K. Dick this is well worth reading.
Jen
the author writes from a place of both empathy and objectivity, encompassing pkd's highs and lows and the evolution of his successful writing career in this dense book. a must-read for any pkd fan (or anyone who's been curious about him after seeing movies such as bladerunner).
Doug H
If you're a Dickhead like me, you need to read this. Well-researched and well-presented. Fascinating!
Mark Singer
Apr 10, 2011 Mark Singer rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Philip K DIck
Shelves: biography, fiction
I first read this back in 1999 and was impressed with Sutin's thorough and comprehensive biography. Is it warts and all? Yes, but ultimately very sympathetic. Every time I pick it up I want to read more of Dick's books. Includes a summary of his works at the end.
  • I Am Alive and You Are Dead: A Journey into the Mind of Philip K. Dick
  • What If Our World is Their Heaven?: The Final Conversations
  • Puttering About in a Small Land
  • J.G. Ballard (RE/Search #8/9)
  • Charles Fort: The Man Who Invented the Supernatural
  • Joseph Campbell: A Fire in the Mind: The Authorized Biography
Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley A Postcard Memoir When to Go Into the Water: A Novel All is Change: The Two-Thousand-Year Journey of Buddhism to the West The Shifting Realities of Philip K. Dick