Start by marking “You Can Do It!” as Want to Read:
You Can Do It!

You Can Do It!

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Amazing things happen when Woman taps her inner Girl Scout. In You Can Do It!, Lauren Catuzzi Grandcolas and friends present an engaging cast of female "mentors" who share their expertise in activities ranging from money management to firewalking. Fanning the can-do spirit kindled during her own scouting years, Catuzzi goes beyond the badge with this concept; wealthy info...more
Published March 1st 2005 by Chronicle Books LLC (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about You Can Do It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Do It!

AngieA
I love this book! The concept is just so fun and a natural to those of us who like to learn/try new things and earn a little recognition along the way. The premise of "Dare to Dream, Learn Something New and Do Something Just for You" is a wonderful way to inspire women to get together and learn from each other. The story of how the book came to be is inspiring in itself. Initially begun by Lauren Grandcolas, her work was interrupted by 9/11. She died on United Flight 93. Her loving sisters, Vaug...more
Lora
I return to this book again and again for ideas on what to do with my friends when we get together or for myself when I need a pick-me-up in the middle of the winter! This book is an incredible resource of information and ideas, articles and websites to complete 60 "merit badges" like negotiating, personal style, and strengthening your relationships. There are actual merit badges included with the book, and you will treasure each and every one of them. A motivating message for any woman looking...more
Melissa
the production of this book - which occurred after the tragic death of lauren grandcolas on september 11, 2001 - is an amazing story in itself. i love the topics, the suggestions, the merit badges, the fact that the mentors who contributed to each topic make themselves available to be contacted, on and on and on....a great addition to any woman's bookshelf. great graduation gift - birthday gift - anyday gift. a fun resource, and an inspiring set of suggestions for trying something new.
Noel
I loved this book. From the touching posthumous dedication, to the zaniest chapter. If I ever feel down- I grab this book and dream big. I haven't actually gone through with any of the tasks described- but that is just the procrastinator in me.
Kristen
Some of these are silly, but it is still fun and motivating to read. This was written by a passenger who was killed on Flight (?) in Pennsylvania during the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Her sister proceeded to have it published following her death.
Janet
This book is great fun for former Girl Scouts, or any women who like learning new skills and meeting new challenges. And it's fun to see how many skills you're already acquired, and to give yourself a pat on the back, or better yet, a badge!
I really loved the spirit of this book, and the step-by-step way the author opens up doing those things you've always wanted to do, but have never done. I read most of the text; now I need to go back through and pick what I want to do first!
Jo
Feb 09, 2008 Jo rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All women
Recommended to Jo by: found in bookstore
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
I love this book. Wow!
It is set up like a giant scout's book for women. All kinds of subject, mentors. Girls of all ages should have this.
I fell in love with it and then read the intro that the author parished on 9/11. So sad.
Leah
This is a long-term read intended to make you do things and think outside the box. I am really enjoying reading the individual sections and challenging myself to accomplish the goals. I have 2 complete to date!
Rachel
My Mom gave me this for Christams. I found it really inspiring. Be sure to take from it what you need. If you don't want to skydive or go to Jamacia, don't. I made croissants and felt quite proud of myself!
Shanna
I am still reading this book. It is quite interesting and has given me lots to think about. Because of the nature of this book, it might be on my currently reading shelf for quite some time.
Julie
While I think this is totally fun and cute, it's not like I'm going to be working on them any time soon! It was fun to flip through, but that's about it.
Dee Renee  Chesnut
I looked for this book for I watched an interview with a sister of the author on Veria TV. The two sisters saw this book through publishing after the death of the author on United Flight 93 on September 11, 2001.

I liked the idea of using this book as a catalog of 59 merit badges as a starting point to accomplish something new with a mentor and enough small steps in order to feel as if you had a good introduction to a new activity. Even in those areas in which I already earned a merit badge, thi...more
Jillian
Wow! I feel really, really good about myself after reading this. I’ve done all the merit badge tasks except for stand-up comedy, firewalking, gardening, beading, starting a rock band, aviation, film making, wine appreciation, negotiating, skydiving, participating in a triatholon, scuba diving, billiards, investing, estate planning, car care, computer care, home maintenance, and genealogy.

Two-thirds ain’t bad! I think what this book really does well is help you define your goals, figure out the...more
Annie
Mar 17, 2008 Annie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Not a book you just sit down and read. It's mildly useful when you aren't quite sure how to go about something, but mostly, I guess it's for folks who have trouble thinking up what crazy thing they want to do next. Now I've surfed (not the way the book said) and done some traveling (though I didn't read that section well before I planned and executed my trip) and there isn't a section on "When you decide you want to build a shed and aren't quite sure how to do it so you check out some books and...more
Karla
Blah...thought it would be more original, but the book suggested the same vague hobbies and goals as most self-exploration books.
Shasta Patterson
I saw a review on this somewhere and really thought it was going to be a checklist type thing of "things to do before you die" kinda thing. I went to the bookstore and it was very disappointing. It was more a "how to" dream, get motivated, get organized, research things to do, etc. kinda thing. I really thought it was going to be a "earn a badge" type thing of life skills. It had the typical write a book, jump out of a plane stuff that is the cliche and lifetime achievements thing that not every...more
J. Madison
I absolutely love this book! I had forgotten I had it when I moved so I "found" it in a box! It just let's you really say okay I am going to enjoy my life on purpose & try some new things without force! It is a must have & I will definitely be sharing it for generations!

I may not ever be actually finished with this book because of all the actual activities but I am clearing it from my list as I have read all of the "reading" section & completed some of the adventures.
Jen
Karen
concept and production of this book is fabulous.
Marissa
Great book! As a lifelong Scout, I was excited to see something based off of Scouting. The project ideas and activities cover a broad range of topics that would appeal to many different people. It's a fun, inspiring read, and I look forward to embarking on more of the activities!
Janet
I love this book...all us "girls" have so many accomplishments in our day to day lives...this book gives us the chance to pat ourselves on the back in celebration of a little "girl power" as well as giving some ideas for future projects.
Pea.
too motivational, group activity oriented for my tastes... conceptually i will thumb thru this book over and over. pondering reworking the ideas for 'I'm bored' activity ideas to do with the Goos.
i am a sucker for a merit badge.
Amanda
It has certainly made my to-do list longer. It has some nice inspiring ideas in it and points you in the direction for additional resources (ex. negotiate: lists books websites workshops and magazines).
Nicole Shelby
Interesting book for giving a basic guide to "getting into" anything - from creating a rock band to becoming a yogi. Takes every goal seriously and provides direction for accomplishing it.
Georgette
Fun stuff for grown-up girls - although, like Girl Scouts, most of this book is made up of "homework". Good ideas, and nice personal accounts throughout.
Amelia
Nov 10, 2012 Amelia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Sarah "Mir"
I was given this for my graduation. I must say, so far it has been very interesting, and every lesson in it has taught me so much about life.
Jaymi Boswell
Apr 14, 2008 Jaymi Boswell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tawny and Jennifer.
Shelves: non-fiction-fun
How fun is this book? It's like a boy scout book for adult women. I keep looking through it. I'm a chicken and haven't started anything yet.
Holly
A great idea... but the composition of the book wasn't helpful. In addition, they weren't merit badges A wanted to earn.
  • The Creative Entrepreneur: A DIY Visual Guidebook for Making Business Ideas Real
  • Dare to Repair: A Do-it-Herself Guide to Fixing (Almost) Anything in the Home
  • Indie Publishing: How to Design and Publish Your Own Book
  • 50 Success Classics: Winning Wisdom for Work & Life from 50 Landmark Books
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • Shift Your Habit: Easy Ways to Save Money, Simplify Your Life, and Save the Planet
  • Martha Stewart's Encyclopedia of Crafts: An A-to-Z Guide with Detailed Instructions and Endless Inspiration
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Life
  • Organic Body Care Recipes
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies
  • 52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity
  • Home Rules: Transform the Place You Live into a Place You'll Love
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up and Create Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining: America's Toughest Family Court Judge Speaks Out
  • Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
You Can Do It! Workbook You Can Do It!: Deluxe Gift Set You Can Do It! Buy 6, Get 1 Free