Start by marking “Mystery of the Flying Express (Hardy Boys, #20)” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Flying Express (Hardy Boys, #20)

Mystery of the Flying Express (The Hardy Boys #20)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,023 ratings  ·  19 reviews
After the new hydrofoil they are guarding is stolen, the Hardy boys face frequent danger in solving a mystery involving criminals who operate by signs of the zodiac.

Book Details: Format: Hardcover Publication Date: 1/1/1941 Pages: 192 Reading Level: Age 8 and Up
Published January 1st 1941 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Flying Express, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery of the Flying Express

Katlin
I really enjoyed reading a book where siblings worked together to accomplish something good. No sibling rivalry, none of the "go away me and my friends are doing this." And the care and respect they show towards their parents and other adults in their life is simply remarkable. Good sound examples overall.
Of course my copy is from the 1940's so there may be some differences between my copy and the newer updated versions. Anyway, although its not my typical reading fare I really did enjoy it and
Linda
Okay, this is a vintage series for kids. I haven't read many Hardy Boys books. While the story was entertaining, the reader must suspend belief that the boys' father, a world renowned detective, would send his teenaged sons across the country looking for a place that trains foreign spies. The Flying Express is a passenger train that goes from east to west every day. It was also decidedly odd how the spies used the train to send secret messages back and forth. Add a missing linguist to the mix an ...more
Spencer Given’s fancy new hydrofoil, the Flying Express, is causing quite a stir in Bayport – and not the kind he’d hoped to create. Although initially people are eager to travel the seas in his ship, word gets about that the hydrofoil is dangerous – and should be run out of Bayport Harbor.

But who could have started this rumor? And are the Hardy boys willing to investigate?

Discussion.

Callie Shaw and Iola Morton get more screen time in this one which is fun – they and the Hardys act a little coup
Ethangd96
Frank and Joe Hardy were sitting in their small cottage when they heard a tow truck outside. Their sneaked around back and saw it was only a duck landing in the water. But, when they looked the FLying Express was gone!! So, when Frank and Joe Hardy went back to their cabin they saw that there was a person waiting for them he pulled up a gun and said "Don't move!". Frank and Joe both looked at them selves. They were both scared.

My thoughts on this book were very well. This book is for mystery lo
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps.
The two boys live in the fictional city of Bayport (on Barmet Bay) with their famous father, Fenton Hardy, a private detective formerly with the New York Police Department, their mother Laura Hardy (erroneously called Mildred in The Flying Express), and their Aunt Gertrude, a char
Mel Foster
An Average Hardy Boys book. Not the best, not the worst. Strains believeability at times.
Patrick Birmingham
I started reading many of the Hardy Boys's mysterious adventures on books of any kind and enjoying them. So the latest one I got for my birthday and finished, Mystery of the Flying Express, it is rather fun to spend time enjoying what I like. This one talks about the boys' adventure to catch a jewel thief on a hot pursuit.
Gary Paulson
Recommended to me by my 8yo grandson. It has been a long time since I have read a Hardy Boys book.
Definitely written for young boys who can more easily suspend disbelief. Best part was imagining my grandsons reading the book.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Ruthie Jones
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Ron
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Jaeger Matthias
I loved it. 1. I love mysteries.2. I like the Hardy Boys series. 3. I recomend you reading it!
Lisa
Feb 21, 2012 Lisa added it
Hardy Boys 20: Mystery of the Flying Express (Hardy Boys) by Franklin W. Dixon (1941)
Matt
This story changed from a train heading West, including a missing linguist.
Valkyrie Oracle
My book has the same cover as shown in this listing but was published in 1977.
Marts  (Thinker)
Recommends it for: JF Dix
Shelves: juniorfiction
Dixon, Franklin W.
Gemma Jackson
Gemma Jackson marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Jennifer Goins
Jennifer Goins marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • Asterix Versus Caesar
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Secret of Phantom Lake (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #19)
  • Mystery Train (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #8)
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure Magic and Romance
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

The Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 241 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)