Start by marking “Cat Diaries: Secret Writings of the MEOW Society” as Want to Read:
Cat Diaries: Secret Writings of the MEOW Society

Cat Diaries: Secret Writings of the MEOW Society

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  15 reviews
At the annual gathering of the MEOW society, cats of all kinds convene to share their stories and those of their ancestors. Chico, the smallest cat in the world, recounts stopping a crime. The Pirate Cat tells of the fateful day when he discovered a treasure while hunting for mice. And Georgio shares his delectable—and sometimes surprising—recipes.

In this winning companion
Published April 27th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Diaries

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsOut of My Mind by Sharon M. DraperOne Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-GarciaCountdown by Deborah WilesMockingbird by Kathryn Erskine
Newbery 2011
71st out of 147 books — 493 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Who knew that cats secretly write diaries, and have been doing so for centuries? My favorite diary entry was "Miu, the Great Cat of Egypt". The picture of Miu with the dopey-looking dog is so funny. I also liked "Go-Go Goes Bananas," in which a well-meaning author takes his cat along to a book signing, with disastrous results. And, of course, "Library Cat". A humorous collection of cat tales that really should be read aloud to your cat (as I did!). I hope Betsy Byars writes another book of these ...more
Lorna
Collection of short stories written from the perspective of a society of cats who write. Has great vocabulary and high interest for progressing readers. Loved the messages about why we write--to tell stories of our experiences, and how we benefit from writing and sharing as a community.
Josiah
This book was a very positive surprise for me. Only eighty pages in length, written in comparatively large font and with a high illustrations-to-text ratio, I wasn't expecting such a solidly crafted story, one that ranks up there with some of the best highlights from Betsy Byars's body of work. The short stories that make up this book are very brief, averaging only a few pages apiece, but nearly all of them contain unexpected twists and sparkle with effervescent wit, and the characters are all ...more
Dawn
Once a year, cats around the world attend a meeting in an old abandoned theater to listen to stories written by cats. This group is called MEOW which stands for Memories Expressed in Our Writing. The stories are taken from journals that various cats have kept over the years. There are stories from a Gypsy cat, a pirate cat, a library cat and many others. The tales are shared to establish a kinship among cats and to honor the feline race. The cats enjoy the stories immensely and are sad when the ...more
Suzanne
It is difficult for me to rate so many different types of books. This is a beginning chapter book, and for its kind, very good. I looked at it to "fatten up" the library's beginning chapter books, and it will, but the vocabulary is carefully chosen and may be above some in reading group.

I enjoyed the anthology of cat stories crossing the centuries. Each cat has its own personality and distinct story. Byars does a clever job of threading the stories together by having cats meets and share their t
Colleen Vincent
This is a review of the short story, Library Cat, contained in this anthology. A cat finds a home at the public library, inspiration, and self esteem from famous cats throughout literature and history, such as Egyptian cats and the Cheshire cat. Shows how the library serves as an important place to learn about oneself and others in your species through literature and non-fiction.

To read a story about a real life library cat check out the story of Dewey, the Library Cat.
Sandy Brehl
While a clever approach to cats in various situations and time periods, I felt it was a bit slow to start. Once the chapter "journal entries" began, the variety and unique voice of each appealed. In some ways it reminded me of Van Allsburg's Harris Burdick, in that each chapter might launch a writer into more elaboration, additional journal entries for that particular cat, etc. I must say it is hard for me to feel any cat title tops the CatWings series.
Sharlet Mullen
This is more of a cat adventure story book. It is told through the perspective of different cats. The words really help you feel the cat’s feeling. On one night every year, cats in the MEOW Society, which stands for "Memories Expressed In Our Writing," gather to read from their diaries, hearing stories of a gypsy cat, a Caribbean pirate cat, a library cat, and many others.
Tracie
May 11, 2010 Tracie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: elem
At a huge annual meeting of the MEOW Memories Expressed in Our Writing) Society, cats listen to diary excerpts, contemporary and historical, of other cats. The readings inspire them after the meeting to reconvene next year with their own great stories.
Amy
Written well and pretty differently than most kid's chapter books. Didn't love the device of the meeting to start/end the book - that was confusing to read aloud - but otherwise the stories were fun.
April
Great beginning chapter book. It's also good for reluctant readers since each chapter is a complete story, so kids don't feel like they have to read the entire book.
Allison Gregory
i liked the book cause it was fun to read it was nice to see what cats would write in their diaries if they had one.
Diamond
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AWSOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Elizabeth Ferry
MEOW-Memories Expressed in Our Writing
Wendy
Great book!
Beizal
Beizal marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Lebirdsong
Lebirdsong marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Tricia
Tricia is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Shona Eastlick
Shona Eastlick marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Becky
Becky added it
Mar 04, 2014
Marie Streit
Marie Streit marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...
The Summer of the Swans The Pinballs Tornado The Midnight Fox The SOS File