Start by marking “Genealogy of Nihilism” as Want to Read:
Genealogy of Nihilism

Genealogy of Nihilism

This text re-reads Western history in the light of nihilistic logic, which pervades two millennia of Western thought. From Parmenides to Alain Badiou, via Plotinus, Avicenna, Duns Scotus, Ockham, Descartes, Spinoza, Kant, Hegel, Heidegger, Sartre, Lacan, Deleuze and Derrida, a genealogy of nothingness can be witnessed in development, with devastating consequences for the w ...more
Published May 27th 2002 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Genealogy of Nihilism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Genealogy of Nihilism

Ryan
Aug 08, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
I very much do not know how to take this book. I have read multiple reviews that suggest this is one of the easier reads in the RO series, and that Cunningham elucidates the thought of the philosophers whom he analyzes. I am not sure where I mis-stepped and got off the interpretive path, but I found Cunningham's book immensely difficult, much more so than the other RO books I have read. Further, I felt that he obscured rather than clarified the thought of some of the philosophers. Also I felt th ...more
one of the strangest philosophy books i've ever read. cunningham has created a masterfuul misreading of every philosopher he encounters, in which their original thought is so distorted by cunningham's attempt to discover "nothingness" at their foundations that it becomes art. he then develops a really complex and interesting logic off of his misreadings.

it's also a christian apology, and it's not really about nihilism in the traditional sense. but if you got some time to plough through this mons
Morteza
Apr 03, 2012 Morteza rated it did not like it
Although I have sympathy with the Radical Orthodoxy movement and despite the fact that this book contains good insights, It definitely can drive you crazy by repeating "Nothing as something" several times without enough explanation about the meaning of the term. Furthermore, he believed that one needs to mention the reference of every single sentence in a way that at the end of the day it looks like a collage of a philosophers quotations, not an academic text.
Robert Tessmer
Aug 29, 2014 Robert Tessmer rated it liked it
It is almost impossible for me to do this book justice. The author obviously had a much more philosophically educated reader in mind when writing this book. Oh well, I always say "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Oh wait, maybe it was Friedrich Nietzsche who says this.
Andrew
Jun 01, 2013 Andrew rated it really liked it
I felt like parts one and two were almost two separate texts; the jump from the genealogy to the theology seemed a bit tenuous. Nonetheless, a provocative and challenging read. Even though my mind remains outside the R.O. camp they continue to put out fresh and innovative ideas.
Sociale Zak
May 26, 2012 Sociale Zak rated it did not like it
Conor Cunningham, philosopher and Christian apologist

for fuck's sake !
Ioannis Navera
Ioannis Navera marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
jean
jean marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Agnes Hanying
Agnes Hanying marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Roundwater
Roundwater marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Aristocles Invictvs
Aristocles Invictvs marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Anssi
Anssi rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Natalie Boath
Natalie Boath marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Joemeister
Joemeister marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Tilly
Tilly marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Heidi Michelle
Heidi Michelle marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Dus T Hardy
Dus T Hardy marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Lupe Vendemia
Lupe Vendemia marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Joe Laughon
Joe Laughon marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
██████
██████ marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
nfty
nfty marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Adam Stein
Adam Stein marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Teerath
Teerath rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Albert
Albert marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Virginia
Virginia rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2015
Areeba Zaidi
Areeba Zaidi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015