Start by marking “The Mark on the Door (Hardy Boys, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Mark on the Door (Hardy Boys, #13)

The Mark on the Door (Hardy Boys #13)

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  1,914 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
The Mark on the Door (Hardy Boys
Published June 1st 1934 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published January 1st 1934)

Michael Finocchiaro
Apr 16, 2017 Michael Finocchiaro rated it really liked it
Another great Hardy Boys story, this time featuring airplanes, submarines (complete with Chet as a torpedo and a matador!), and a helicopter! The boys risk life and limb to bust up yes another smuggling ring. This one was, again, fast-paced and chockfull of cliffhangers and clever sleuthing and a cool survival technique. Now on to the Hidden Harbor Mystery!
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 John Yelverton rated it liked it
OK mystery book, but not nearly as good as Nancy Drew.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps. Frank Hardy is the elder of the two and has dark hair. Joe Hardy is the younger brother, and has blond hair and blue eyes. The stories are an unaging series, in which Frank and Joe are always 18 and 17 years of age, respectively. In the original series the brothers were a younger ...more
Jacob
Feb 22, 2015 Jacob rated it it was amazing
I give this book five out five stars because of its great plot and smooth transitions between chapters. It was super easy to understand what was happening and you really get to know the characters the more you read along. I personally love the Hardy Boys series and am slowly working my way up reading all 56 books. If you are not familiar with this series, the Hardy Boys are brothers who solve all types of mysteries. The end of every book makes you want to read more and see more of their crazy ad ...more
Edward Davies
Once again the Hardy's stumble on a case connected to a case their dad is working on, so he gets paid for doing nothing as usual. And to think, the case all began because the boys didn't think a Mexican could drive a speedboat (or something like that).
Jerry
Aug 25, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it
Like usual, this series delivers.
Ron
Aug 22, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Aaron White
May 11, 2017 Aaron White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than book 12, this one was filled with action and adventure and had the added advantage of being set in large part in Mexico.
Frank
One of my favorite childhood series.
Kyle
Sep 06, 2016 Kyle rated it it was amazing
Frank and Joe are out on they're boat at the lake when they notice a boat heading towards them. They tried to move it before the would get hit but it was to late the were hit but it only left a little dent. They headed straight to the dock to get a sheriff. They tied up the boat and then they noticed the same boat hooked to the dock they went inside and they found the dock owner who's boat it was he said a mexican man had rented it and did not paid for it. The Hardy's found a letter by there do ...more
Brittany
Jun 26, 2008 Brittany rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People reading the Hardy Boys
Recommended to Brittany by: Professor L
How I Came To Read This Book: It was a selection in my children's fiction class in my last year of uni.

The Plot: The Hardy Boys end up in Mexico...and many racial stereotypes ensue as they become involved with a band of Indians and an odd oil smuggling operation, which also involves hostages and a 'native' guide to the area.

The Good & The Bad: The main reasons we read this book were to show that a) not all fiction for children is continually, erm, appropriate, or at least PC in today's worl
David Ballesteros
May 22, 2015 David Ballesteros rated it really liked it
The mark on the door is a story by Frank Dixon that involves Mexican beliefs in bad luck and stuff. the Hardy's investigate vanished workers of a small Mexican town. A strange symbol is marked on the doors of those who were gone. The Hardy's travel around the area to find the missing people. Eventually they stumble upon a cave with the prisoners inside. But, the brothers get captured too. The Hardy's escape from the help of their chubby friend. The group teams with the police to unexpectedly cat ...more
Ianm
Jan 17, 2013 Ianm added it
This book has a really attention grabbing beginning because it makes you want to know what that sub that the hardy boys saw was for, why it was there, who was on it, what was it doing, and how was it related to the mystery followed up by the sub sighted in mexico which made me wonder if the subs were related.
Paul
Jun 04, 2009 Paul rated it it was ok
Picked this up along with a couple of other HB books at The Bookworm in Cranbury as a nostalgic act. This was a 1934 edition and probably the same as what I read when young. I did not remember this book but must have read it. It was fun to read but knowing how these books were created it was easy to see the formulaic structure.
James Kelley
May 09, 2016 James Kelley rated it really liked it
The book was good. It could have been better, because some of the events are a bit confusing. For the most part though it was great. The fact that these two brothers were able to solve a mystery that no body would talk about is amazing.
Kristofer
May 19, 2015 Kristofer rated it it was amazing
In which the author is at his most racist (though the book is still great), the illustrator is at his most racist (though the illustrations are still the most hilarious in any Hardy Boys book yet), and not even the Mexicans can get their Spanish right.
James Kelley
May 04, 2016 James Kelley rated it really liked it
The book was good. The Hardy brothers are touring Mexico, trying to solve a mystery. The problem was that they could not find anyone who would talk about it. This was very interesting, because it was even harder to get clues.
Paul
Jan 02, 2012 Paul rated it really liked it
They were constantly being captured and it ended somewhat abruptly, but pretty good for a Hardy Boys book.
Kolan
Shelves: juniorfiction
Dixon, Franklin W.
Eric Lin
Oct 27, 2011 Eric Lin rated it it was ok
I am on page 55. Frank and Joe are helping someone save his son. his son got kidnapped and they are trying to save him. They are trying to be a disguise.
Gale
Feb 15, 2011 Gale rated it really liked it
Read in 2005.
Matt
Jun 21, 2013 Matt rated it liked it

I think I'm getting a clue...
Brooke
This may seem weird 'cause I'm a girl, but I actually like the Hardy Boys better than Nancy Drew.
Thomas Leip
Jan 10, 2009 Thomas Leip rated it it was amazing
BEST HARDY BOYS BOOK SO FAR!!!!!!!!!=] =P :D
Monica
children's literature, suspense, mystery, adventure, classic, detective, hardy boys, frank and joe, mark, door, mexico
Ruthie Jones
Jul 25, 2010 Ruthie Jones rated it it was amazing
I read the Hardy Boys books (and Nancy Drew) when I was a child. The stories are old fashioned, but that's why I like them so much.
Joy Gerbode
Jun 09, 2015 Joy Gerbode rated it liked it
Another simple and fun mystery ... nothing special.
Sara
Sep 16, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing
How do I read it?
Brendan
Apr 08, 2010 Brendan added it
Shelves: for-younguns
I read a lot of Hardy Boys books since my grammar school's library carried them. I remember reading ths one, not so much the other titles though.
  • New Year's Evil (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #11)
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Mystery of the Moaning Cave (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #10)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)