Start by marking “Last Flight” as Want to Read:
Last Flight

Last Flight

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Earhart's account of her ill-fated last flight around the world, begun in 1937, remains one of the most moving and absorbing adventure stories of all time. Compiled here are dispatches, letters, diary entries and charts she sent to her husband at each stage of her trip.
Published December 22nd 2009 by Crown (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Last Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Flight

Kelly
Well, I'm not going to lie I was expecting the book to be a little more personable. It was a great book, but I wanted to know more of what she was feeling and even more about her relationship with her husband. I kept on trying to see if she were ever going to say that she missed him or thought about him from time to time. You know, something more on the romantic side? Which I don't think Amelia even thought like that. The book was mainly a log of her flying, landing and departing. On occasion sh ...more
Leanne
I liked it because it was Amelia Earhart, and let's face it - she was amazing. But, let's also face this, she was a pilot, not a writer. I wouldn't want a writer to fly a plane either. So, although it wasn't amazing writing, that's not what she set out to do anyway - she wanted to write a log of her travel around the world, and that's just what this is. Fairly interesting, but it's mostly details about her planes and her arrangements to get from country to country. It's kind of like watching the ...more
Katie Rahmlow
She was a pilot nit a writer but I was hoping it would be more personable.
Lissa
I love Amelia Earhart. And this poem explains why far better than I can.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace.
The soul that knows it not, knows no release
From little things;

Knows not the livid loneliness of fear
Nor mountain heights, where bitter joy can hear
The sound of wings.

How can life grant us boon of living, compensate
For dull gray ugliness and pregnant hate
Unless we dare

The soul's dominion? Each time we make a choice, we pay
With courage to behold resistless day
And count
Devon
If you wanna learn more about Amelia than just her flighing abilitys then you need to read this book. It feels like you go back in time when Amelia Earhart was born and go though her life. From her childhood, education, wishes and goals in life, and other jobs she might of had but that's not it you also learn how Amelia got so interested in flighing and how she got so famous. The tragic ending to Amelia sums it all up in the end. So it you are interested in Amelia this is the book for you!
Kate P.
I have always been intrigued by Amelia's sense of adventure and views on life. The plan was to call this book "World Flight" but it was changed to "Last Flight" after her disappearance one her way to Howland Island in July 1937. Her husband, George Palmer Putnam, published it from her notes. She would send maps, notes, etc. back home during her round the world flight. It is good to read her own words and thoughts as she and Fred Noonan made their journey around the world.
Maryn
This was a good book. Written by Amelia Earhart about her last flight around the world. She would send home her descriptions and notes throughout the trip. It got a little technical in parts for me, but it was interesting to see all the work that went into that trip.
Susan
I loved reading this knowing they were her own words but tragedy covered every comment she made about the future - so sad. I'm anxious now to find a good companion book about the search - I'll go blog-surfing and see what I can find.
Chris
This was a great read but not quite as personal as I thought it would be. Amelia fans definitely should read this as she writes honestly about her flights leading up to her disappearance.
Mary
Always been a fan of Amelia Earhart since I was a child. This book details her last flight. Wonderfully written book.
Ashley
Really interesting to read the round-the-world flight from AE's point of view. :)
Louise Mathewson
So far really enjoying this!
Tim Clifford
Tim Clifford marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Katharina
Katharina marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Ellie
Ellie is currently reading it
Jan 26, 2015
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Kimberlee
Kimberlee marked it as to-read
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Nella Magadia
Nella Magadia marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Dannielle
Dannielle marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Skipper Ritchotte
Skipper Ritchotte marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Around the World in 72 Days
  • The Splendid Outcast: Beryl Markham's African Stories
  • The Blind Masseuse: A Traveler's Memoir from Costa Rica to Cambodia
  • Ecstasy and Me: My Life as a Woman
  • The Sound of Wings: the Life of Amelia Earhart
  • The Valleys of the Assassins: and Other Persian Travels
  • My Journey to Lhasa: The Classic Story of the Only Western Woman Who Succeeded in Entering the Forbidden City
  • The Paper Garden: Mrs. Delany Begins Her Life's Work at 72
  • The Singular Pilgrim: Travels on Sacred Ground
  • Frankie Manning: Ambassador of Lindy Hop
  • Flying with the Flak Pak
  • Beautiful: The Life of Hedy Lamarr
  • The Pinecone: The Story of Sarah Losh, Forgotten Romantic Heroine--Antiquarian, Architect, and Visionary
  • Hearing Birds Fly: A Nomadic Year in Mongolia
Amelia Mary Earhart (missing July 2, 1937, declared dead January 5, 1939) was a noted American aviation pioneer, and author. Earhart was the first woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross, awarded for becoming the first aviatrix to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. She set many other records, wrote best-selling books about her flying experiences, and was instrumental in the formation of T ...more
More about Amelia Earhart...
20 Hours, 40 Min:  Our Flight in the Friendship The Fun of It 20 Hrs. 40 Min., Our Flight In The Friendship: The American Girl, First Across The Atlantic By Air, Tells Her Story 20 Hrs. 40 Min: Our Flight in the Friendship The Exploration of the Colorado River and Its Canyons