Start by marking “Hero” as Want to Read:
Hero

Hero

Adelle Smith has lived her entire life for the betterment of mankind. A Civil Rights Activist in the Sixties and Seventies, she has spent most of her adult life attending marches, giving speeches, and lending a hand to anyone in need.

But on the very evening she is to be acknowledged with a Lifetime Achievement Award for her humanitarian efforts, a stroke leaves her partial
Published (first published March 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hero

James Meeks
Apr 04, 2012 James Meeks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Two greats of extreme horror get down and dirty in this awesome novel. It will punch you in the face fast and quick with the unrelenting torture and humiliation.

The torturer is a nurse; Natsinet who has created in her mind a world paradigm, an outlook, that concerns both her own heritage and that of African Americans. The sufferer the civil rights leader Adelle Smith who after years of fighting for her people will now be put through unimaginable pain, once again because of the color of her skin.
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 William M. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
4 AND 1/2 STARS

Hero is a finely tuned tale of terror. White and Gonzalez are not afraid of peeling back the layers of evil to deconstruct the motives of one of the most chilling female villains in recent memory. The pairing of these authors worked much better, in my opinion, than that of Wrath James White and Maurice Broaddus's book, Orgy Of Souls. The writing of Hero felt completely seamless, as if written by a single mind.

This fantastic writing team has managed to accomplish in a novella wha
Cir
Nov 19, 2016 Cir rated it it was amazing
5/5 A great read. A politically conscious book about how racism spreads like a disease and leads us to horrible actions. This is my first White book (I've read Survivor by Gonzalez) and I got hooked. There is a huge ammount of tension building up, every character is deeply explored. Equal parts horror and drama with a lot incredibly touching moments. A must read.

I'll definitely check more books by Wrath James White.
Chuck Rios
Hero by J. F. Gonzalez and Wrath James White is a cold and razor sharp piece of fiction. It is roughly about a Civil Rights leader named Adelle Smith and her struggle with an angel of death type hospice nurse named Natsinet, who hates the woman she cares for and sees Adelle as the cause of all her pain and racist misery.
The novella runs 164 pages and deals with racial tensions, self hating, torture themes, redemption and heroisim. The story smashes stereotypes, especially in the climatic end sc
Craig
Jan 25, 2016 Craig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hero is brought to you by two modern day horror maestros - Wrath James White and J.F. Gonzalez - both of whom are known to bring edgy and original stories to print. This particular book was originally released as a hard-cover only four years ago and was been long out of print until Deadite Press decided to re-release it in a more affordable and easy to get form.

The book follows an elderly lady called Adelle, a former civil rights activist, who has a stroke and needs the constant care at home of
Caleb Golden
Jun 27, 2016 Caleb Golden rated it liked it
3 stars, I guess. This is my third Wrath James White book and the most well done so far, considering the way the author always seems to rush the story without really giving it time to blossom.
A pretty brutal read about a bedridden black civil rights leader whose hospice nurse turns out to be a vicious white supremacist intent on torturing the woman to death, but my pet peeve when it comes to this author is that while the story and characters are fairly well thought out, the plot and character de
Ms. Nikki
3.5 Stars (We really need half stars)
Underneath it all, this is a story about race and stereotypes; particularly African American men and women. Adelle, a woman that fights for black rights, has a stroke that leaves her partially paralyzed and without a voice. She now requires home care for rehabilitation which comes in the form of Nat, a half white half Eretian, who is pretty twisted and not happy with the color of her skin and takes it out on others. Adelle has rehab from hell. She is molested
Tina
Mar 13, 2013 Tina rated it really liked it
Has a real life gritty feel, the story is one that seems to have been pulled from a news headline and written by those involved in the horror. I rarely find a story where a victim has my sympathy long before their torture starts and this one had me angry every time the antagonist inflicted any pain upon her.
Take woman who has sacrificed her life for the betterment of others and her community and than put her as old woman helpless and at the mercy of a sadistic care giver. I was gripped by her p
Joe Hempel
Oct 09, 2012 Joe Hempel rated it it was amazing
What a great novella! I actually almost read this in one setting. It was hard to read at times. The torture of a helpless woman (who really comes through it), and in some crazy ways too really had me squirming.

An NAACP award recipient has a stroke and is being taken care of by an angry at home nurse, who feels that all the people living in the ghetto are horrible and do nothing to contribute to society.

Her anger is reflected to Adelle, and other black eldery folks.

A quick read, keeps you on the
James Heiney
Aug 20, 2014 James Heiney rated it really liked it
A good book. There were some points that got a little soapboxy--with long monologues from characters expressing their points of view--but it didn't bog the story down too much and gave some interesting viewpoints. The horror was good and the antagonist was particularly unlikeable (a good thing.)
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Pat Dreadful
Pat Dreadful rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2011
Michael Levey
Michael Levey rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2012
Harald Maier
Harald Maier rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Greg Gillis
Greg Gillis rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2010
Eugenijus Ivanovas
Eugenijus Ivanovas rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Brent Abell
Brent Abell rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Rebecca Brock
Rebecca Brock rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Jfx
Jfx rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2016
Tod
Tod rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Eric Campbell
Eric Campbell rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Ric
Ric rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Louzee
Louzee rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Cinabru Hoffmann
Cinabru Hoffmann rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2015
Kerry Mckinney
Kerry Mckinney rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2012
James Meeks
James Meeks rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Kimberly
Kimberly rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Portrait of the Psychopath as a Young Woman
  • Bloodrush
  • Genital Grinder
  • Super Giant Monster Time! (Choose Your Own Mind-Fuck Fest #3)
  • Clickers