Start by marking “The Haunted Fort (Hardy Boys, #44)” as Want to Read:
The Haunted Fort (Hardy Boys, #44)

The Haunted Fort (The Hardy Boys #44)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,184 ratings  ·  28 reviews
For action, mystery and cliff-hanging suspense, read THE HARDY BOYS MYSTERY STORIES® - featuring the thrilling adventures of America's favorite detective duo, Frank and Joe Hardy. Millions of young readers have teamed up with the Hardy Boys, helping them in their quest to bring criminals to justice. Be a part of the fun! Start your collection of original hardcover Hardy Bo...more
Published December 1st 1965 by Grosset & Dunlap, Inc (first published December 1st 1964)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted Fort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted Fort

David Arko
I thought this book was really good but, not as exciting as I hoped. There were many interesting parts, but the book still felt a little dry. I'm not saying I hate the book I'm just saying I've read better. I guess the book was written really well on what would happen in real life, but I guess that's what made me lose interest. Some parts in there could have been better. I thought the writing was difficult, but not to to difficult to misunderstand. Most of the writing was perfectly fine. Then th...more
Susan
Pretty good action adventure for the Hardy boys. I kept picturing Ft. Ticonderoga in my mind when the author was describing the fort.

I'm sure juvenile boys would enjoy this quaint tale, but I wonder just how many would know what 'vittles', 'hootenanny' and 'Jiminy' meant?! :)
Bearcatgary
The Hardy Boys along with Chet Morton take a trip to an artist enclave somewhere in New England. They are invited by Chet's uncle, who is an art instructor at the enclave, to investigate mysterious happenings at a nearby fort. As is customary in this series, spine tingling adventure ensues.

Although probably not my favorite Hardy Boys book, this is definitely a good story. It seems the ghost writer had fairly decent knowledge of the French and Indian War as well as various terms used to describe...more
Brenda
Great story, great use of characters, wonderful plot and attention to detail. This all begins with the theft of a few paintings at an art school ran by Chet's uncle Jim, and the Hardy's are in for a new case. This one is quite different from the others, in that there are several situations/accidents that happen, where both Hardy's and even Chet could have died, if not as smart as they are.
So, with all this great work, why am I making it a 4 and not 5 star book? It is due to a misuse of a word,...more
Harshman
The book that I read in class was The Hunted Fort. I thought it was pretty good book the thing that I liked about it was that there was a lot of action parts threw out the book it was interesting and it made me not wanting to stop reading it. One of the parts that I liked the most was the car chase it was like it was really happening. Another part that I like was when they where at the lake and the were like looking and watching over the fort then all asundin this person just like floats a cros...more
Morgan Harris
I think people should read the Haunted Fort. They should read this book because there is a lot of supspense,and mysteries that happen one after another. For example, the mystery the Hardy Boys were trying to solve is, who kept steeling the prisoner painter's paintings from Fort Senandaga, and the museums. But, as they were looking through the Fort there wwere strange noises, ghost appearing, and people were trying to kill the Hardy Boys. But they solved the mystery and nobody was hurt, it was a...more
Kaley
Frank and Joe Hardy have been invited by Chet's uncle to solve the mystery at an art school just across the lake from an old French and Indian Battle Fort. When art from the Prisoner-Painter's collection that hold a secret to find hidden treasure goes missing, the boys must find the thief or thieves behind it all and find the legendary treasure hidden within the fort.

I just have a soft spot for all things written back in the good old days. This book reminds me a lot of Nancy Drew's mystery stor...more
Linda
I debated giving this book 3 or 4 stars because it's so formularic but decided to go for the higher rating since this Hardy Boys book was better than the others I've read.

Frank and Joe Hardy travel to Crown Lake in New England with their friend Chet to a summer art school where Chet's uncle Jim is an instructor. Someone is stealing famous paintings of the nearby old French fort ruins. The fort itself seems to be haunted but the reader will know that that's because there are rumors of a hidden t...more
Samir
The mystery is so full of trickery and I have never read a book with so much trickery. I can't give away so much about the book but what I can tell you is a gang steals famous paintings. It is said that one has a clue about a treasure which is a chain made of pure gold. Then after noticing their friend Chet had a surprise. The Hardy's were hired to go travel to England and track it down. You need to read this book.
Phillip
By the 44th book the Hardy boys and trusted friend Chet are apparently completely numb to several attempted murders. Also I never understood how exactly you bound your captives with a belt and then how you manage to get to the police without your pants falling off. All else aside, I still have a guilty pleasure in the Hardy Boys.
Padraic
The book that opened the flood gates. I proceeded to read the previous 43, and haven't stopped reading since. All disparagers of serial writing factors will be shown the door. Joe and Frank kick ass with a jalopy and skiff to match!
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys, Frank and Joe, are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their father's footsteps.
Nayanasree H.Lal (Zeus's daughter)
Paintings of the senandaga get stolen and frank and Joe are to find them along with a treasure hidden in the fort by the painter. The clue to the treasure is in a painting so be sure...Thieves are out..
Markus Jensen
I thought that this book was a great book! i always love how thrilling the books are. i would recommend this book to all my friends and i am looking forward to reading more of the Hardy Boys books.
Jake Oliver
I was totally amazed by the story.. Their adventures and the sleuthing.. oh, i just love the adventures of the hardy boys. i have read it in a book.. the original hard cover edition.
Emma Mccarthey
it was AWESOME!!!!! best one i've EVER read!!!!! :) If you like action-packed, adventurous mysteries, then you'll LOVE this!!! It was hard for me to put it down!!!
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon added it
I always preferred the Hardy Boys to Nancy Drew. I can still recall the day I read an entire book in one day.
Mikayla
Better then most Hardy boys, It didn't tell you who was guilty till the last chapter.
Jim Sampson
Hardy boys after paint thieves in this adventure. Another enjoyable read.
Valkyrie Oracle
My book has the same cover as shown in this listing but was published in 1965.
Marts  (Thinker)
Help the Hardys find some stolen paintings
Ria
A good adventure story overall.
Marts  (Thinker)
Another great Hardy Boys adventure!!
Alyssa
Recommends it for: JF Dix
Shelves: juniorfiction
Dixon, Franklin W.
Kennedy
Kennedy marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • The Mystery of the Deadly Double (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #28)
  • The Mystery of the Wandering Caveman (The Three Investigators, #34)
  • Mystery Train (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)