Start by marking “A Leader's Legacy” as Want to Read:
A Leader's Legacy

A Leader's Legacy

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In this provocative book, leadership experts and authors of the best-selling "The Leadership Challenge, " Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner take on a unique challenge and explore the question of leadership and legacy. Kouzes and Posner examine in twenty-two chapters the critical questions all leaders must ask themselves in order to leave a lasting impact. These powerful essays a ...more
Published December 22nd 2008 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Leader's Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Leader's Legacy

Tony Rogers jr
As a leader concerned about my legacy this book's title immediately caught my eye. Judging by some of the reviews I wasn't sure Id like it much but I was pleasantly surprised at the wonderful content. This book is organized into 21 essays on different topics, some of my favorites were: Leaders serve and sacrifice, The best leaders are teachers, Leaders should want to be liked, Lead from the inside out, and The legacy you leave is the life you live. Im very happy I didn't pass up this leadership ...more
Marti
With this book the authors explore the premise that every leader wants to leave a legacy. They outline critical questions, grouped into four categories - Significance, Relationships, Aspirations, and Courage - that all leaders must ask themselves in order to leave a lasting influence.

Leadership isn’t just a position in an organization; rather it’s the perspective that everyone, regardless of position, can make a difference. Leadership is everybody’s business. Leadership is learnable. It does not
Zhi Han
As a 'seminar on CD', this book is well organized. But after reading it I still feel leadership is a myth. I admit that it has a few good points. But indeed what is leadership? Is it the action of leading a group, or simply the action of setting an example? The term leadership and management have been used interchangeably in organizations. Sadly, the advocates of 'leadership is everyone's business' also confuse these concepts from time to time.
Emily
This was a pretty solid book about leadership. While it was nothing revolutionary, it was helpful and made me think a little bit about my own office and my role within that environment. The authors have good suggestions for ways to challenge your thoughts about the concept of leadership. Tons of examples, though many are glossy generalizations.
Chris
PIcked this back up yesterday and finished the last half. Each chapter is an essay. Mostly common sense. But for me the entire book was worth this one idea:

If the leader is not able to think/see beyond the end the last project, he's redundant and no better prepared than the others on the team who are managing that project.

Leaders must see beyond the immediate challenges and even beyond last project in the queue.

Someone's gotta be Jacob seeing Canaan even if it's 30 years out . . .

If a leader
Kristin
I picked up this book when preparing a lecture on legacy for our Student Organization Leadership Retreat.

The introduction mentioned that they had been challenged to write a different kind of book. This WAS a departure from their normal style with lots of short (3 page) entries. I found some to be repetitive and some unique. I enjoyed it while I was reading it, but am hard pressed to write this summary without looking at some notes to remember the content.

My Tweet: Leaders: courageous and relat
P.J. LaRue
I read this book as part of a leadership class I'm taking. I liked that the book dealt with more current issues and leaders than some of the other books we've read.

The book was on target when it said that leaders are in the position to serve. I find myself asking my staff what is impeding them from completing their work. I see myself as responsible for removing those impediments.

The book also indicates that a true leader is effective when he or she understands his or her goals and these goals a
Devin Partlow
This book is redundant... unless its the first book of its kind you read... then it could be very informative
David
First half was excellent with many sections highlighted. Second half was more average. - Still, it is highly recommended reading.
Kaitlin
I love Kouzes and Posner, but I'm not sure this book shared anything different than their other books.
Stephanie
Nov 29, 2007 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers
"One of the most powerful legacies you can leave is to turn every person...into a teacher. When they become fully engagedin the experience of learning, ... people will realize that within them is unused capactiy and untapped potential."

My boss recommended this book - he ordered one for everyone in the office. I couldn't lovate his favorite quote, which is also powerful , so I opened to a random page and found my own; I love a book where each page has something poignant to offer.

I'll post a revi
Arlene Caruso
Anyone who finds themselves in a leadership role (or aspires to one) should give this little book a read. I found it to be a leadership shot in the arm (a leadership booster shot, if you will) and feel more energized to learn from my failures and to be more human in my work -- bring more of myself into what I do. The audiobook is read by the authors and this really made it more personal to me.
June
I loved the Leadership Challenge, especially for its simplicity. This book followed the same simplicity -- a leader's legacy based on significance, relationships, aspirations, and courage. But the aspects are much more difficult to take onboard. Thus I am not so sure I gained a great deal of transformational knowledge, more incremental knowledge.
Kate
I read this book for a leadership training class - it had a lot of good points. I think i marked up a good half of it. There were, of course, parts I didn't really identify with, but overall I felt that it certainly taught me some things. :) It's a quick read.
Anna
29. 4/17/09: A Leader's Legacy, by James Kouzes and Barry Posner. I have a weak spot for really well-written books about leadership, even the ones that are firmly planted in the earth of Business Management.
Tim Priebe
This was a great read. I agreed with about 95% of what the authors had to say. There were some inspiring stories in there as well.
Yolanda
Easy read. It makes you think about what it takes to be a good leader. Insightful
Linda
A good look at why we become teachers and how we can make the field better.
Joe Beauchamp
Feb 05, 2013 Joe Beauchamp rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joe by: Doug Kiel, Ph.D.
Great book...full of good and relevant information about leadership.
Michelle
Going to use it in class! :)
Radim Blazek
Radim Blazek marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Alvir
Alvir marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
  • The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader
  • Courage: The Backbone of Leadership
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player: Becoming the Kind of Person Every Team Wants
  • Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • 8 Attributes of Great Achievers
  • The Serving Leader: Five Powerful Actions That Will Transform Your Team, Your Business, and Your Community
  • Attitude Is Everything: Change Your Attitude...and You Change Your Life!
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • Transparency: How Leaders Create a Culture of Candor
  • The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance
  • Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success: Building Blocks for a Better Life
  • Leaders of Learning: How District, School, and Classroom Leaders Improve Student Achievement
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • Who Owns the Learning?: Preparing Students for Success in the Digital Age
The Leadership Challenge The Truth about Leadership: The No-Fads, Heart-Of-The-Matter Facts You Need to Know Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others The Student Leadership Challenge: Five Practices for Exemplary Leaders

“Anyone who’s ever been in a leadership role quickly learns that you’re squeezed between others’ lofty expectations and your own personal limitations. You realize that while others want you to be of impeccable character, you’re not always without fault. You learn that you can’t see around every corner, and even if you know your way forward everyone may not end up at the same destination, let alone be on time. You discover that despite your best efforts to introduce brilliant innovations, most of them don’t succeed. You find that you sometimes get angry and short, and that you don’t always listen carefully to what others have to say. You’re reminded that you don’t always treat everyone with dignity and respect. You recognize that others deserve more credit than they get, and that you’ve failed to say thank you. You know that sometimes you get, and accept, more credit than you deserve. In other words, you realize that you’re human.” 0 likes
“People commit to causes, not to plans.” 0 likes