Thank You, Mrs. M

Thank You, Mrs. M

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Benjamin Evans cares for his younger sister and brother but still finds some time for college. Then he receives an offer of a full scholarship, if he communicates with his anonymous benefactor via voice recording. Dubbing his patron Mrs. Moneybags, he proceeds to share private details of his life ― in addition to the required details about school. Soon Ben's curiosity abou...more
ebook, 1st edition, 85 pages
Published September 9th 2009 by Cerridwen Publishing

willaful
I vaguely remember reading in Kate Rothwell's blog that she got flack for writing a story inspired by the classic young adult romance Daddy Long Legs but with a foul-mouthed former criminal as its protagonist. What an incredibly short-sighted attitude. This is not just Daddy Long Legs gender-reversed and updated for shock value, but a thoughtful and really interesting re-imagining of how the story might play out in today's world.

There are light homages to the original, which add a bit of extra...more
Lady Lioness
Feb 29, 2012 Lady Lioness rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Simone Elkeles fans
I had this title in my TBR for ages, dating back to when it was published by Cerridwen Press. I was scrolling through my TBR shelf for things to buy during Fictionwise's 60% coupon sale when I clicked on this title. Lo and behold, it's currently free from Smashwords. And quite frankly, you can't go wrong with free.

Thank You Mrs. M is a retelling of Daddy Long Legs, but this time the narrator is an teenaged Latino male, Ben. I have to say, despite some rough patches, I really enjoyed this. Since...more
Megan (The Book Babe)

Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

*ACTUALLY 3.5 STARS*

Thank You, Mrs. M was one of those books that I really wasn't sure about-- to the point of being unsure as I clicked "Buy with one click". But for some reason, it was the first book I picked to read when I got my Kindle. I was hooked from the very first page.

I loved the mystery of Mrs. Moneybags; I spent most of the book guessing about who she could be. But once I figured it out (and only because I was told) I was absolutely s...more
Anna Bowling
Gender-flipped modernized version of Daddy Longlegs is an emotional read, at times raw, at times humorous and always thought-provoking as the male first person narrator pays for his education by dictating daily messages to the mysterious Mrs. M, his unseen (or is she?) benefactor. This is a coming of age story with a subtle bite, and a satisfying romantic angle. Thank you, Ms. R, for a compelling read.
Kate
Feb 07, 2010 Kate rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I know I'm not supposed to rate my own stuff, but Ben was my favorite hero to write.
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
grumpyoldbird
grumpyoldbird marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Kimberly Coady
Kimberly Coady marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2014
Carol Burnside
Carol Burnside marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Robin O
Robin O marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Lori Wyont
Lori Wyont is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2013
Divya
Divya marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Elaine Golden
Elaine Golden marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2013
Elida
Elida marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Timah
Timah marked it as to-read
Timah
Timah marked it as to-read
itzmeGS
itzmeGS marked it as to-read
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
Cam
Cam added it
Oct 14, 2013
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2013
Annie Rayburn
Annie Rayburn marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
CLM
CLM marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Tracey Nunn
Tracey Nunn marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2013
Also writes as Summer Devon.

Subscribe to the Kate Rothwell/Summer Devon newsletter here. She'll only email you when there's a new release and she absolutely will never ever give away your email address to anyone.
More about Kate Rothwell...
Seducing Miss Dunaway Somebody To Love Somebody Wonderful The Rat Catcher Love Between the Lines