Start by marking “The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain (Blackie Ryan, #13)” as Want to Read:
The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain (Blackie Ryan, #13)

The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain (Blackie Ryan #13)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  550 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
The bestselling priest & novelist Andrew M. Greeley continues the tales of the intrepid Bishop Blackie Ryan with this absorbing & suspenseful mystery, set in France, of a missing beloved television priest.

Not just an ordinary priest but a priest/television superstar, idolized by the people of France, loved by everyone except, of course the French hierarchy, the chu
Published June 17th 2002 by Forge Books (first published July 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bishop and the Beggar Girl of St. Germain

Susan
Jan 26, 2014 Susan rated it did not like it
I excitedly picked this up, thinking a mystery with a Bishop as the protagonist would be great. After all, Chesterton's Father Brown mysteries were good. The difference, unfortunately, is that Chesterton was completely orthodox while Father Greeley, may he rest in peace, was not. Since unorthodox elements are central to the story and even praised in the book, I cannot recommend it, personally.
Nancy
Oct 19, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
Although I did not figure out the puzzle ahead of time--and it was a puzzle with an interesting twist--I wasn't more than minimally engaged in the story. I had not read other books in the series, so some of the ongoing characters were new to me and everyone else in the story seemed well acquainted with them. Greeley uses the genre to make some points and delivers a thinly veiled critique of the goings on within the hierarchy of the Catholic church as an institution, though he is ever faithful to ...more
Anna Bliss
Jan 10, 2016 Anna Bliss rated it really liked it
Perfect popcorn-type mystery reading. You don't need to have read other Bishop Blackie books before you read this one.
Esperanza Smrtc
May 21, 2015 Esperanza Smrtc rated it really liked it
It was pretty good. But hard to read when some words are in a different language. Problems with understanding the meaning and pronunciation
Phil Lawless
Feb 03, 2016 Phil Lawless rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second reading. Even more enjoyable this time because I knew the secret, sort of.
Phillip
Jan 25, 2008 Phillip rated it really liked it
Part of the Bishop Blackie Ryan series of mystery novels. Columbo in a collar. This Catholic cleric who specializes in locked door mysteries is witty and insightful as he describes his investigation. His temporary assistant is an endearing 'Dr.Watson.' Althought the prevalant use of Latin and French asides may be a trifle interruptive to those not familiar with the languages, this is a good-hearted read.
Carol
May 31, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story about Bishop Blackie from Chicago. I have read others and find them fun and a glimpse into the world of the Catholic Church behind the scenes. Blackie is asked to find out about a young Catholic priest who has a radio show and is very popular with the young people of France. He has gone missing and no one can find a trace of him. Fun story and great ending!
Cyndi
Apr 14, 2009 Cyndi rated it really liked it
This was the first Greeley novel I have read, er, listened to on audiobook, and it probably will not be the last. I'm not normally "into" mysteries, but this one was full of interesting characters and fascinating commentary about the state of the church, French society, and more. And it is set in Paris, and this is always a plus, n'est-ce pas?
Pat
May 16, 2010 Pat rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, audiobook
Father Ryan leaves Chicago for Paris to search for a missing priest and gets help from a talented young musician. Although lots of comment on the Catholic church, this certainly isn't a diatribe, and moves along well with an interesting twist at the end. George Guidell, the reader, does the french accent very nicely.
Wayne
Sep 03, 2008 Wayne rated it really liked it
A really fun mystery book. I haven't read anything else by Greeley, I think I will. I did the book on tape, it was narrated by George Guidall. He is the best. And, it was just about the right length for the Hawthorne to Ogden trip. Oh, The twist at the end of the mystery was great.
Rebecca
Jul 14, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
The more I read of Andrew Greeley, the more I enjoy his writing. The thing I appreciate most about his books are the embedded illuminations about faith and religion. Bishop "Blackie" doesn't take himself too seriously, but we have a lot to learn through his gentle humor and insight.
Elizabeth
Jun 16, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
This was great! I should have figured out the mystery but I didn't and I liked that! The plot is well crafted and, of course, I like the references to the idea that maybe one day the Catholic Church will be less restrictive about the role of women.
Feb 06, 2010 Sarah rated it liked it
These books are fun, maybe because of their pro-Chicago bent, maybe because I've never heard of a Catholic priest referring to God as "Her." Mysteries sometimes with a supernatural tinge, and always with some good Chicago Irish.
Juliet
May 07, 2011 Juliet rated it liked it
Wanted an audio book during a weekend of driving & the library had this one. Certain phrases were used too frequently for me, but all in all the book was enjoyable and Andrew Greeley's views surprised & delighted me.
Sharon
May 11, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Greeley's zingers toward the pomposity and arrogance of certain people-- and the gentleness and kindness toward others. Interesting twist as Blackie solves the mystery of the missing priest/Tv preacher.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 11, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
Set in France, a television priest disappears. Bishop Blackwood is loaned by the Cardinal in Chicago to the Archbishop of Paris to investigate. Full of the usual Greeley twists, turns, and enjoyment.
John
Jul 05, 2013 John rated it really liked it
A fun read - but make sure you read this before reading The Bishop Goes to the University.
Somewhat improbable, but I read it in one sitting and enjoyed it. Bishop Blackie is a"hoot."
Connie
Jan 18, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it
If you can get past the author's idiosyncrasies, including naming God as a she, this was a fascinating, informative mystery with the surprising solution learned at the last minute.
Dalila
Dec 14, 2012 Dalila rated it liked it
I liked it. I had never read any of his books. I may read more of his work. It was a nice mix of places and cultures. Also, Catholicism lightly addressed but nicely done.
Tom
Oct 15, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it
Enjoyable. Learned a ot about French culture and their government. Also a good philosphical discussion of loveand marriage.

The mystery was also reasonably clever.
Emm
Jan 11, 2009 Emm rated it it was amazing
a delightful "locked-room" mystery without gratuitous violence that I couldn't quite predict all the way to the end - a rarity for me!
Polly
Mar 06, 2013 Polly rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, adult
This is one of the better Bishop Blackie mysteries, IMHO. Interesting, funny and with a decent solution to a knotty problem.
Renee
Aug 13, 2010 Renee rated it it was amazing
Read by George Guidall (probably not the proper speling, I'm sorry...), my favorite narrator- played Zelda listening to it.
Dee
Aug 27, 2011 Dee rated it did not like it
The book was very slow.

However, the truth about the disappeared person did have an unexpected/surprise twist to it.
Terrie Moran
Dec 06, 2013 Terrie Moran rated it it was amazing
Blackie Ryan goes to Paris and solves an elusive mystery. Wonderful! Bishop Blackie is a long tiem favorite of mine.
Marie
May 27, 2008 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy
The mystery is great, but I got sick of phrases being repeated ad nauseum (every other page, no lie).
Carroll
Oct 25, 2013 Carroll rated it liked it
Not very interesting, even though it featured the popular Greenley's character Bishop John Blackwood Ryan.
Conyers
Jul 30, 2012 Conyers rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This was a lot of fun, especially since I had just visited the Crypte and St-Germain.
Mark
Apr 22, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
The best of the Blackie Ryan series, I thought (only a couple I have not read yet).
Shannan
Jul 13, 2012 Shannan rated it liked it

It was a pleasant read, but I figured out the mystery before it was revealed.
  • Ghost in the Guacamole (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)
  • The Knocker on Death's Door (Felse, #10)
  • Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3)
  • Miss Dimple Suspects (Miss Dimple Kilpatrick #3)
  • Uncommon Clay (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #8)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • Love Finds You in Calico, California
  • The Betrayal Game (Mikhal Lammeck, #2)
  • There's Nothing to Be Afraid Of
  • On the Soul of a Vampire (On the Soul, #1)
  • Buffalo Bill's Dead Now (Wind River Reservation, #16)
  • The Arrangement
  • Dead or Alive (Kevin Kerney, #12)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Light Thickens (Roderick Alleyn, #32)
  • Last Kiss Goodbye
  • Love Finds You in Deadwood, South Dakota
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...

Blackie Ryan (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Happy Are the Meek (Blackie Ryan, #1)
  • Happy Are the Clean of Heart (Blackie Ryan, #2)
  • Happy Are Those Who Thirst for Justice (Blackie Ryan, #3)
  • Happy Are the Merciful (Blackie Ryan, #4)
  • Happy Are the Peacemakers (Blackie Ryan, #5)
  • Happy Are the Poor in Spirit (Blackie Ryan, #6)
  • Happy Are Those Who Mourn (Blackie Ryan, #7)
  • Happy Are the Oppressed (Blackie Ryan, #8)
  • The Bishop at Sea (Blackie Ryan, #9)
  • The Bishop and the Three Kings (Blackie Ryan, #10)