Start by marking “The Catholic Myth: The Behavior and Beliefs of American Catholics” as Want to Read:
The Catholic Myth: The Behavior and Beliefs of American Catholics

The Catholic Myth: The Behavior and Beliefs of American Catholics

For the past three decades, Andrew Greeley, priest, sociologist, and bestselling author, has researched the behavior and beliefs of American Catholics. Here he translates his works into hard data as he describes the fascinating, wonderful, and slightly daffy story of American Catholicism since the end of the Second Vatican Council. A powerful argument, this survey dispels ...more
Published August 1st 1997 by Touchstone (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Catholic Myth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Catholic Myth

Roger Buck
Hard for me to be objective about this. On the one hand, there are truly valuable _sociological_ insights here! Once upon a time I was enthused indeed.

On the other hand, Greeley seems possessed by a liberal Catholic battle-axe and pours scorn over those who don't share his liberal Catholic agenda. I related to this when I was a liberal Catholic myself, but over time I became ever more traditional and saw that the Gospel according to Greeley had its limitations.

In my own writing, I have invoked t
Argum
Sep 20, 2015 Argum rated it really liked it
Fr. Greeley's personality is very much a part of this book despite its statistical and sociological foundations. At times that is abrasive, but for the most part even when I disagree with him it adds spice to what could be dull. I wonder how true these trends are now at almost 20 years remove from publication. His central idea about seeing the world differently because you are Catholic driving the many different ideas and problems in the Church are interesting and I think valid. Very interesting ...more
Nicole
Apr 05, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it
Written from Greeley's sociological perspective. He cites lots of statistics and analyzes data. The conclusions are interesting and not always what I would have anticipated. His sense of humor comes through.
Denise
Jun 25, 2008 Denise rated it it was amazing
If you've ever wondered about the subtle differences between Roman Catholics and Protestants than this book will interest you. Easy to read, and very eye-opening.
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2011
Aelwyn Daeira
Aelwyn Daeira rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2008
Joe
Joe rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2011
Christine Wilcox
Christine Wilcox rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Merrie
Merrie rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2007
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Sharienne
Sharienne rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Mark Mossa
Mark Mossa rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2010
Ó Ruairc
Ó Ruairc rated it did not like it
Aug 11, 2016
John Pietruszka
John Pietruszka rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2014
Phil Lawless
By now, we wonder whether the surveys quoted would show the same results. Still very enlightening.
Tess
Tess rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2013
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2012
Camme
Camme rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2014
Andrina
Andrina rated it did not like it
Mar 30, 2013
Brenda Eckels Burrows, aMGC
Brenda Eckels Burrows, aMGC rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2013
Dan Borst
Dan Borst rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2011
Suzanne Hlotke
Suzanne Hlotke rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2015
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2011
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2011
Nancy Jeffrey
Nancy Jeffrey rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2013
Samuel
Samuel rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Iris
Iris rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2013
Andrew Greeley was a Roman Catholic priest, sociologist, journalist, and author of 50 best-selling novels and more than 100 works of nonfiction. For decades, Greeley entertained readers with such popular characters as the mystery-solving priest Blackie Ryan and the fey, amateur sleuth Nuala Anne McGrail. His books typically center on Irish-American Roman Catholics living or working in Chicago.

htt
More about Andrew M. Greeley...