Start by marking “E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)” as Want to Read:
E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone Mystery)

E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone #5)

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  25,848 Ratings  ·  622 Reviews
Kinsey Millhone, P.I. is a 32-year-old, twice-divorced ex-cop with an irreverent, wise-cracking style reminiscent of Philip Marlowe - and a great pair of legs - who piles her trade in the small Southern Californian town of Santa Theresa.
Make no mistake about it, Kinsey Millhone is one tough cookie. When a routine insurance claim she's investigating turns into non-routine
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published July 3rd 2001 by Random House Audio Publishing Group (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about E is for Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about E is for Evidence

James
Book Review
E is for Evidence, written in 1988, is the fifth book in the "Kinsey Millhone" mystery series by the hilarious Sue Grafton. It's just before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature is stirring, except for one of Kinsey's two ex-husbands: Daniel Wade. And if that's not enough, she takes on a small investigation involving arson, only to find a mysterious $5K deposit into her bank account that she didn't put there. Something smells a little too much like gas... and yup,
Brenda
Nov 15, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Private Investigator Kinsey Millhone was working on a routine insurance claim – a fire in a factory a few days before – when she came to the uncomfortable realization that she was being set up. After discovering $5000 had been deposited anonymously into her account, then documents going missing with false, incriminating papers in their place, she knew she needed to find answers quickly.

As her investigation took her into the wealthy but messed up Wood family, owners of the business where the fact
Mark Baker
Nov 25, 2016 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2016
A couple of days before Christmas, Kinsey is asked to investigate a fire for the insurance company she sometimes works for. Everything looks routine until she is called in to defend her findings and sees pages that were not part of her original file. Afraid she might find herself accused of insurance fraud, she starts investigating the situation. But is she the target or an innocent bystander?

I truly enjoyed this book since it starts out with a great mystery that doesn’t involved a murder. Of co
Ed
Mar 22, 2011 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every few months, I've been checking out a Sue Grafton alphabet title.
"E" now makes for eleven, according to my Goodreads account, that I've read. This week I saw on Goodreads that Ms.Grafton has V IS FOR...coming out (does anybody know what the "V" stands for? Vengeance? Vendetta?). "E" is a compact, peppy, and scrappy entry in the series. In short, it rocked. Kinsey investigates an insurance fraud and gets sucked into a dysfunctional rich family (as the rich families are often depicted in pri
29/10 - Kinsey is so easy to read. Compared to my last book, which was very well enjoyed and earned the same number of stars, I read it in half the time. E is for Evidence is about insurance fraud, starting with a fire at a commercial building. To begin with there is no murder, not for about half the book, which surprised me as A through D have involved Kinsey investigating a missing person who turns out to be murdered or just a murdered person who needs to be investigated. We do, eventually, ge ...more
Deborah Markus
I learned three things from reading this:

1. You can read these books out of alphabetical order and you'll be fine, other than the crippling guilt and terror you'll sustain if you're as OCD as I am.

2. Kinsey Millhone feels the same way I do about medical "care":

Staying here was out of the question. Hospitals are dangerous. People make mistakes. Wrong blood, wrong medication, wrong surgeries, wrong tests. I was checking out of this place "toot sweet."

3. When it comes to anything outside of an ordi
Elyse
I don't know if it's just me but I feel like there was more swearing in this book than the others! A lot! I was surprised by the amount. This one was also a lot more graphic, violence-wise. Describing a dead body, it was gruesome! But overall, I liked this story. Pretty dark, though. We finally get to meet someone from Kinsey's past whom we've barely heard about. And the subtle foreshadowing about him, spot on, Kinsey! This was a mystery with Kinsey in the middle!
Julie
Mar 18, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
E is for Evidence by Sue Grafton is a 2005 publication.

I am obviously very behind in this series, but one of my new year’s resolutions is to catch all the way up with at least one series, and this one gets first choice.

By now, Kinsey is quite well known amongst mystery readers, most of whom agree she paved the way for many more heroines in this genre with her wit, grit, and sassy determination. With the storyline set back in the 1980’s, there is a little nostalgia involved too, plus our favori
Carol Brill
This is my second of Sue Grafton's alphabet series- also read A. I don't usually read popular mysteries.
Recurring POV heroine, PI Kinsey Millhone is a down to earth, likable character.
This is a fun, easy read with enough suspense to keep turning pages. Just the break I needed after binge reading Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, and Sense and Sensibilities in the last couple weeks. Talk about opposite ends of the literary spectrum :)
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Much like J.D. Robb’s In Death books, I’ve come to see this series as a comfort read for me. Whenever I’m reading something rubbish or need a refresher, I always turn to Sue Grafton to get me out of my funk.

E IS FOR EVIDENCE has a little bit of a Christmas theme to it so it was nice to read around this time. I especially liked this one because it’s a little bit different to the other cases that Kinsey has had in the past. This one isn’t as fast-paced but it’s intriguing on a different level bec
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Denise
Feb 25, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great page turner. We meet Kinsey's second ex husband! Suspenseful until the last chapter.
Neelam Babul
May 27, 2017 Neelam Babul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book full of mystery and suspense, kept me glued to the book twisting and turning with excitement and anticipation.

I love books where the main character is a tough independent female character who is strong and a problem solver.

Kinsey is accused of insurance fraud and to prove her innocence embarks on a fatal journey to clear her name and eventually hold the person responsible for the crime.
Aida
Mar 14, 2016 Aida rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really, really am not a mean spirited person but I just can't seem to like these books thus far.
Reading the Sue Grafton/Kinsey Millhone series of books, each title representing a letter of the alphabet, is a disappointing roller coaster ride or at best a test of endurance of mediocre writing. Her first book has you making the approach into a flat, seemingly endless and meandering ride, that leaves you wondering if it was worth the price of your ticket. The second books makes some strides but
Under the Covers Book Blog

Shelley
Plot/Summary of Book: It was the silly season and a Monday at that, and Kinsey Millhone was bogged down in a preliminary report on a fire claim. Something was nagging at her, but she couldn't pin it. The last thing she needed in the morning mail was a letter from her bank recording an erroneous $5,000 deposit in her account. Kinsey had never believed in Santa Claus and she wasn't about to change her mind now. Resigning herself to a morning of frustration, she phoned the bank and, assaulted by ca ...more
RJ
Sep 21, 2011 RJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, I've read about half of Sue Grafton's Alphabet Series. This one discloses more of Kinsey's backstory that any of the others. Two characters from her past stir recollections along with powerful feelings.

First is Ash, an old friend from high school. Ash is an unassuming silver spooner who would have remained a long-term friend had it not been for the economic void separating their families. As a teenager, Kinsey was intimidated by the wealth and self-assuredness of Ash's family. As an adu
Mmyoung
Sep 25, 2011 Mmyoung rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
"E: is for Evidence left me feeling "C" is for curious why others so like this series and "I" as in indifferent as to whether Kinsey Millhone ever solves the mystery and clears her name. In fact I felt indifferent as to the fate of any of the characters in the story.
It did leave me wondering whether Grafton wants the reader to realize just how mediocre her detective's skills are. Millhone breaks and enters and she trades information with people who would (and should) lose their jobs for violatin
May 10, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the most fast-paced Kinsey Millhone mystery yet. Kinsey's case starts out as a typical investigation of an insurance claim but soon she is suspected of fraud. She must become her own client and get to the bottom of the conspiracy before she ends up dead.

THINGS I LOVED
Kinsey's observations of the world around her never fail to make me laugh, like her comment on a lady's yellow sweater, the color of a not so good urine sample. Later, her lower class upbringing leads her to wipe her hands
Jennifer Kreft
Jul 11, 2011 Jennifer Kreft rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"G" is for Great Gimmick. I love Sue Grafton's heroine and I plan to read the entire series. Now it's just a matter of getting back into alphabetical order, and that is merely to keep better track of which ones I have read. Another thing to love about Grafton's funny and spunky mystery franchise: They are satisfying in any order--if you happen to be one of those people who shudder at the thought of doing things alphabetically. (Kinsey herself might rebel against being told what book to read next ...more
Randee Baty
Feb 18, 2013 Randee Baty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, mystery-pi
This book gives us a lot of insight into Kinsey as well as a good mystery. We find out quite a bit of background on her ex-husband and their marriage which makes Kinsey an even more well-rounded character than she already was. The people involved in the mystery are people she's known for years and again, we see her as a person with history. She's not nearly so dismissive of the social aspects of life, in fact, she wishes she was part of some of them! Nice character development.

This story centers
Andrew
Dec 17, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sue Grafton's "alphabet series" is a lot of fun without being like, say, Janet Evanovich or Sanders' Archie McNally series. So I was looking forward to re-reading them and, as is my OCD nature, reading them in order.

"A", "B", "C" and "D" were a whole lot slower than I remember - a trend that was shattered by "E". This 300 pg novel contained a building being burnt down, another one being blown up, as well as the requisite murder. Plus a few extra for good measure... AND we get to meet one of her
Suzy
I've read a number of Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, and this year I decided I would revisit them. What prompted me to read "E" is that it's set around the Christmas/New Year holiday. This is the 3rd "Christmas mystery" I've read in the last couple of weeks.

At first I thought this felt a little dated, but was quickly pulled in. It was fun to reconnect with Kinsey Milhone, the scrappy California-based insurance investigator. Lots of Kinsey's back story is included in this one, making it even m
Nancy Brady
Dec 26, 2016 Nancy Brady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-book
The first of the Kinsey Millhone mysteries read...from there, the previous novels were read as they were available in the library. After that, all were read as they came out.
Love Kinsey's independence,sassiness, and her VW Bug and her neighbor and landlord Henry (he has got to be one of the coolest characters in this series). The stories are complex enough as the private detective figures out the mystery.

Suggestion: read them in order rather than hit-skip especially as they become darker and re
Sandra
Feb 06, 2009 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Onwards and upwards, I'm continuing on through the alphabet.

I liked this one because Kinsey is forced to defend herself against something more sinister that's trying to kill her.

As with most of Grafton's books, there's always a person who is introduced that never quite gets tied up in the end. I'm a little annoyed with that. They seem to play a major part in the plot and then drop off.

Other than that minor irritation, another good read.
Brooke ♥booklife4life♥
**Short Review**

Well this was way more interesting than the other Millhone Mystery book i read. I halfway saw the twist coming when she got the $5k money but i wasn't completely sure, but then once the botched fire reports came up, i was like damnnnnnn they're gonna throw her under the bus. I thought it was the main guy who owned the place doing it so i was wrong on that. Overall, i liked this one wayyyy more than the last one, still reminds me greatly of Stephanie Plum but eh, i'll deal :D
Debra
Apr 17, 2016 Debra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barely squeaking by as a 3 star for me.

Secret identities, ex-husbands, incest, bombs, murder all should make for a good mystery but this seemed flat for me. I read C is for Corpse and enjoyed that one much more than this. In this book, I did learn more about Kinsey's background but had a hard time getting into this book.
Jessica
Grafton's got a gift for sketching out characters in a fairly brief way but giving them personality and verve, which makes this series continually worth returning to. It's fun to chuckle over the influence of mid-80s technology as well from this oh-so-modern vantage point.
Addie
Oct 11, 2011 Addie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the Playboy review of this book that says, "Kinsey Millhone is almost perfect." I certainly love her character! Witty, badass and clever. I finished this one and immediately started reading F is for Fugitive. What will I do when I run out of these books?!?!?!
Shelly Sievert
Jun 22, 2010 Shelly Sievert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Kinsey Millhone series. Kinsey has spunk and these books are fun to read without having to think too much. I recommend these books to anyone looking for a fun read.
Alphabet Murders: E 1 1 May 07, 2017 09:49AM
*Best Sellers* Bo...: E is for Evidence 1 1 Aug 14, 2016 07:56PM
What books do you re-read 10 25 May 11, 2016 01:37PM
The Women's Myste...: E is for Evidence 1 7 Aug 09, 2013 09:22PM
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
  • Pennies On a Dead Woman's Eyes
  • The Grilling Season (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #7)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)

“There's a certain class of people who will do you in and then remain completely mystified by the depth of your pain.” 67 likes
“Smile. It gives your face something to do.” 29 likes