Start by marking “Stillwatch” as Want to Read:
Stillwatch

Stillwatch

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,427 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
"I TOLD YOU NOT TO COME..."
Slipped under the door of her Georgetown home, the note was an ominous reminder of Pat Traymore's past. The beautiful young television journalist had come to glamorous, high-powered Washington to produce a TV series. Her subject: Senator Abigail Jennings, slated for nomination as the first woman vice president of the United States.
With the he
Published May 25th 2000 by Simon & Schuster (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Stillwatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stillwatch

Maurean
I found this to be an entertaining mystery, and it has convinced me to try other MHC books in the future, but I don't know - based on this one novel - if I would classify her as the QUEEN of suspense (there are other contemporaries of hers that I enjoy just as much, certainly, if not more - Sandra Brown, Linda Fairstein, Heather Graham; all come immediately to mind). But, that's being really nit-picky, isn't it?! The storyline was intriguing, the characters were sympathetic, and it kept me turni ...more
Amanda McGill
Jun 23, 2016 Amanda McGill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
There is something about MHC's main characters that I would never be friends with them in really life. Pat Traymore in Stillwatch is no exception. Pat is young (27), a successful news reporter, however she is so boring and lacks any personality. I really don't care about Pat.

Stillwatch is about Pat going to Washington to interview Congresswoman Abigail Jennings. While she is in Washington, she uncovers some facts about Abigail that could ruin Abigail's chances of becoming the first female vice
Walt
May 17, 2009 Walt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife and a friend, Janice, from our third-Monday book club (we meet at Barnes and Noble) went to see Mary Higgins Clark and her daughter, Carol, speak at the high school recently. Subsequently, my wife bought this to read on her Kindle, so I decided to read it, too. I don't think I had ever read Mary Higgins Clark before. I probably won't read her again.

Pat Traymore is the protagonist, a newswoman with a new job in Washington D.C. Her parents had died violent deaths there when she was a chil
Fuglsang
Feb 01, 2011 Fuglsang rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who prefer an easy read and who don't mind flat characters
Not quite bad but not quite good either. Sure, it was a fun read, at least the last third of it, but it just lacked something. Come to think of it - that's pretty much how all Clark's books are.

The characters lack some quirks and some spirit. They're not really that unique and they're certainly not gonna stay with me for a very long time, as is the case with all her books. I'm pretty certain I'm gonna forget what the book was all about in a while. Also, calling Clark's 'The Queen of Suspense' se
Eve Nolon
This is my favorite of Mary Higgins Clark's books, possible tied with A CRY IN THE NIGHT, but where STILLWATCH shines is the politics of Washington, DC and all of the small town deals and double-crosses. Where most of Clark's characters are not all that memorable, Pat Traymore is the exception. I loved Pat's panache and grace, her vulnerability and strength. She's an interesting character because she has so much stake in the intrigue, even when she doesn't know it. The first time I read this one ...more
Elizabeth Pendleton
Stillwatch is one of my favorite books. The early books from Mary Higgins Clark were always well written and interesting, and Stillwatch was no exception.

During Camelot (The Kennedy years for those of you going..huh?), there was a young and attractive Senator, his beautiful wife and little daughter. They appeared to have the world at their feet, until the unthinkable happened, and two parents died in a scandal, their little girl broken and expected to follow them to the grave.

Years later, an i
Carol
Nov 03, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am discovering I have not read all of Mary Higgins Clark's book. There are a few old ones I somehow missed. So glad someone else found and read them so I would know about them too. Pat Traymore is a born interviewer and has been on a steady climb to success. She is given the chance to move to DC and do a series on women in government. What most people don't know is that Pat lived there as a child and that her parents died in a murder suicide and she was hurt very badly during that episode and ...more
Beverly Johnson
Jul 28, 2014 Beverly Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who like romance/suspense
Great read! Mary has done it again!

Mary Higgins Clark has done it again! "Stillwatch" is a novel that focuses on the life of Patricia Traymore . Pat is hired to put together a documentary on Congresswoman Abbigail Jennings. Pat moves into the home of her birth parents and is looking through her father's information to find out more about them. Pat barely gets settled into the house when she receives a threatening note written..."I told you not to come." Pat literally ignores the note and begin
Connie
Aug 30, 2011 Connie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was about Pat Traymore and how she was doing an expose on Abigail Jennings a Senator who was looking to be vice-president. Pat had something from her past that she was trying to remember and it was related to what She was doing the expose on. It was not hard to figure out who the bad guy was, but I really enjoyed this book.
Laurie D'ghent
Jul 08, 2012 Laurie D'ghent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect example of why I love Mary Higgins Clark--no sex, very little swearing, an intriguing plot line without being evil or mess-your-pants material, antagonists that you can actually see a little of yourself in. Perfect.
Joan
Jun 20, 2016 Joan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual Mary Higgins Clark doesn't disappoint. An up and coming young woman (Pat) with a sad past gets the opportunity do a TV show about a congresswoman who hopes to be the next American Vice President. The woman isn't happy on the idea and doesn't want her early roots investigated. This program is supposed to show that she is the right person for the job but as usual things don't go to plan. While working on the program Pat moves back into her old family home. She starts to remember the terri ...more
I LOVED Mary Higgins Clark when I was in high school (so trashy, I know), so every now and then I get in the mood for a lightweight read, and she typically fits the bill. I don't know why, but there is something in her pseudo-gory storytelling, always laced with a bit of psychology, that makes me laugh and, more importantly, keep reading. I enjoy a good mystery - although I don't know that I'd call this good, more like a good December read when my brain is full of everything else. But I enjoy st ...more
Sharol
May 17, 2008 Sharol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All of her stories blur together over time. I can't recall what most of these are even about because they're all so similar. :)
Debbie Heaton
Jul 16, 2014 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Clark’s mystery suspense novel, journalist Pat Traymore moved to Washington to produce a TV series surrounding Senator Abigail Jennings, destined to be the first woman vice president of the United States. Teaming with Congressman Sam Kingsley, Pat delves into the senator’s background only to find dark secrets that could easily destroy her up-and-coming career. But more sinister are the connections Pat stumbles across that appear to be connected to her own childhood nightmare.

Chilling…you can’
Eustacia Tan
Oct 27, 2011 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, while it isn't mind-blowing, is interesting enough that I read it in one sitting (thankfully, I finished studying for the day)

The premise is interesting: it starts with Patricia Traymore (apparently this is part of a series), as she moves to Washington D.C to do a documentary on a potential female Vice-President: Congresswomen Abigail Jennings. However, while it takes place (the novel spans one week), she receives threats that escalate in nature.

This book is genuinely exciting. It re
Shelley
Aug 18, 2013 Shelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I see most people gave this novel a 3 for "liked it". I can't say that I "liked it", so it had to be a 2 for "it was ok" because it was nothing but ok, actually it was pretty disappointed. It's been awhile since I've read a MHC, maybe I've moved on or maybe this was one of her weakest ones?

The story line was good, but the writing and the characters just didn't do it. When MHC was describing people who had money, I noticed they were all beautiful, but when she was describing people who didn't, n
Sharon Mathews
Stillwatch (Mary Higgins Clark)- Pat Traymore is known for her documentaries. Her success in them has landed her a new job- a tv series focused on important women. Her first assignment is over Senator Abigail Jennings, and she's anxious to start.

Ah, Washington. The hustle, the bustle, and the scandals. With threats coming in over her program over Jennings, and the terrors of her past arising, it'll be a miracle if she makes it out alive.

Let me start off by saying that Mary Higgins Clark is a fa
Claire
As Patricia digs deeper in Jennings past, she’s discovering that Abigail might not the woman she’s had admired all these years after all. What will she do when she discovers that the incident with her parents may have involved the good Senator? Mary Higgins Clark is a master of mystery. You’ll be hooked until the end simply because you want to know how everything will turn out. The characters are heartwarming and believable. You feel sympathy for every single character at some point in the book. ...more
Kay
Mary Higgins Clark proves once more she has a special knack for putting a suspenseful novel together. One that will have you anxiously waiting to have time to pick it up to continue this exciting journey. She brings the characters to life and keeps you crossing your fingers for our heroin. Thank you, Clark, for another great read. Once again you have proven yourself one of the great storytellers.
2brian7009
Dec 02, 2011 2brian7009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book a couple of days ago. I brought to bed with me beacause I had nothing else to read. I decided to give it a chance because my mom amd sister say this author is really good. So far from what I read I know that there is a journalist that is moving into an old house that she use to live in when she was younger. It just so happens this also the house that her parents died in. She recieves a disturbing phone call at her work from someone she can't decribe. The person on th ...more
Karen Lancaster
Dec 09, 2015 Karen Lancaster rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The suspense kept building up making me read chapter after chapter. I read with a sense of dread, but had to know the outcome. It's the story of a television journalist with a history investigating a politician for her documentary. There are interesting twists as she discovers more about her subject as well as her own family.
Nadine
Oct 08, 2014 Nadine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! didn't have it figured out until the very end.
Pat Traymore, is a journalist who has moved to DC to head up a new TV Series on women in government. Delving into the life of her first subject--a Senator who may very well become the next Vice President, Pat discovers secrets hidden in Abigail Jennings' past and also puts herself in danger.
T
Mar 05, 2016 T rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How wonderful to get lost in a story! Mary Higgins Clark will take you into the story and you won't want to leave. Characters are developed easily and naturally making this book a joy. Clues from the past and present add up and mysteries of the past and present are solved. This book was written decades ago and is still a wonderful read.
Rebecca
Sep 07, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as other Mary Higgins Clark books I have read. The plot just seemed to be lacking something and didn't really move in places. The end was also a little lack lustre. However Mary Higgins Clark's writing is far superior to many, in my opinion, and therefore I still give it 4 stars as a worthy read.
Katie
Nov 19, 2014 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was not one of my favorite books of hers. It was good but I found the story, the mystery taking too long to develop. There wasn't enough happening to really keep you guessing or coming back for more and then everything happened in the last couple of chapters. The pacing just felt a little off to me.
Michelle
Feb 07, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The was an OK book that had good suspense elements but halfway through it was obvious who the perpetrators were. The writing style is easy to read. It is a good book to read to pass time but it is not memorable. I would recommend this as something to read when you do not want to stress your brain.
Lizzie
I'm a big MHC fan since childhood! This is one of my top 3 favorites of her novels, and it doesn't hurt that it's set in DC!

As always, entertaining. I've reread it probably a half dozen times, but it's always still fun to get to the end.
Diane
Oct 02, 2015 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Top investigative journalist Pat Traymore is in Washington, finding out all she can about the woman tipped to become the first female Vice-President. But she is also trying to exorcise painful childhood memories by visiting her old family home.
Phe
Apr 04, 2015 Phe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars - Stillwatch is the 5th mystery/thriller written by Mary Higgins Clark, the "Queen of Suspense". A "master plotter" with the ability to slowly draw out the tension while making readers think everyone is guilty.
Booklover
It is a political thriller. I think you will enjoy it.

At times, I felt the storyline was convoluted.

Anyone else have that deja vu experience when they think either the story is not making sense or I did not read something right?

• Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • The Christmas Box
  • Listen for the Whisperer
  • Secret Admirer
  • Fall of a Cosmonaut (Porfiry Rostnikov, #13)
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...