Hay Fever: How Chasing a Dream on a Vermont Farm Changed My Life

Hay Fever: How Chasing a Dream on a Vermont Farm Changed My Life

3.15 of 5 stars 3.15  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The compelling, funny story of a high-powered professional’s life-changing journey from Manhattan big cheese to Vermont goat cheesemaker

In the tradition of food memoirs like Under the Tuscan Sun and A Year in Provence, Hay Fever tells the story of New York City literary agent Angela Miller and how looking for tranquility on a Vermont farm turned into an eye-opening, life-c...more
Published March 26th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hay Fever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hay Fever

Lilo
Feb 27, 2014 Lilo rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: obsessed cheese-enthusiasts
Recommended to Lilo by: Dollar Tree Store
I had a hard time rating this book. Two stars is too much, one star is too little. Well, I decided to be generous and give it two stars, but I might change my mind.

To start out with, the book's undertitle "How Chasing a Dream on a Vermont Farm Changed My Life" is rather deceiving. It makes you think this book is going to carry you into the beautiful countryside of Vermont where it will let you indulge yourself in your own dreams of homesteading, growing your own veggies, tending to a little orch...more
Melissa
A new homesteader, I pick up anything I can find on other people's accounts of homesteading. Not only are they informative, but they give me an idea of what I"m in for. However, for this book, while I mostly enjoyed it, there were a few things that made me a bit unsettled.

Angela Miller decides that being a literary agent is not enough. She wants to have a farm, and soon that extends into running and Artisan cheese making business. This requires the hiring of several employees and cheese makers (...more
Stacey
Can I give this one 3 1/2 stars instead of 3 or 4? 3 1/2 because it's about goat farming. May not be as great for everyone else. Not 4 because as someone who owns goats, it just seems like she's got a lot of hired help for the hard work, yet talked about how much hard work it is.... am I missing something? I know people who have as many goats and do it without much help at all. Of course, that's necessity, maybe they would hire out more help if they could bankroll the "lifestyle" like the author...more
Mattalie Mcinerney
At times, this book was interesting and informative. However, it was ironic that the author, a woman working in the publishing field, appeared to be oddly tone deaf when it came to her own writing(sometimes very pompous, critical, and condescending). This was especially true when she recounted her treatment of farm employees, cheese makers, and well, even her own husband. Not to mention the poor animals. If she had focused more consistently on recounting the work of the farm and cheese making an...more
Kelley
It was just okay. It took me an inordinately long time to read it. In some places the book was very dull. Learning about goat farming and cheesemaking was interesting for the most part, but it tended to run on too long, getting bogged down in details about the business that made my eyes glaze over.
Tdevany
starting the farm and the description of the cheese making process was ver interesting especially as it came with a sense of fiscal costs. I did not enjoy the personnel admonishments and sense of self rightousness that came through. it detracted from the cheese making tale.
Maggie
While I learned a bunch about cheese making and goat husbandry, the author came across as distinctly unlikeable and totally full of herself.

Kristina Seleshanko
At first, I wasn't sure I'd like this book. The first several chapters deal with the author's dual life as a New York City literary agent and beginning diary goat farmer. Miller and her husband are quite wealthy, and I couldn't really relate. But as the author wrote more about her actual farming and cheese making experiences, I found myself enjoying the book.(Although I must note I was astonished - in a bad way - at how much money her small farm receives in the form of taxpayer funded grants...)
Cathi95
(Nonfiction 2010) Angela Miller, a Manhattan professional, and her husband buy a country home in Vermont, to enjoy the "simple life" and relax from their busy lives in New York. From this decision comes a tale of learning to run a farm, and then to developing artisanal cheeses to sell to an increasing number of New York restaurants. She has to learn how to raise the goats, how to feed them to get the best flavor in the cheeses, how to cure cheese ... it goes on and on, as does her job in New Yor...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Made me want to work on a goat farm in Vermont and make cheese - real escapist non-fiction. Can't imagine how Angela Miller held down a full time job in the city and ran the Vermont farm.
Melissa
The author is also an editor and co-owner of an editing company. With that being her main occupation, I expected the book to be better written. However, it didn't keep my attention and was somewhat repetitive. I enjoyed learning about raising goats and making cheese but otherwise, it was a dud.

There was a small portion of foul language, but enough to bump it down two stars in my opinion.

Not a recommendation to others from me.
Julie Brown
I enjoyed this book, though I don't know how many others would. I heard an interview with the author on the radio and became interested in how an NYC literary agent could go to part-time gourmet goat cheese farming in Vermont and make it work. I'm happy that I bought the hard copy, because there are cheese recipes in the back. I successfully made the queso fresco and will want to refer back to it.
Lanette
I read this one awhile ago and could have sworn I already reviewed it, but I guess not. This is not at all the finest 'homesteading' book I've read. Instead, I remember it being a personal vendetta against all the disgruntled employees she hired/fired... probably a good read for those with goats and wanting to make cheese, but not for me.
Oceandreamer001
I'm loving this book. Angela and her husband have a farm where they raise goats and make cheese from the milk.

My grandfather had goats when I was a child, and I loved them. So interesting to read about this sweet creatures, and the work and money that goes into making a farm/cheesemaking business work.
The story is a little disjointed and jumps back and forth in time. It is an eye opening look at what it takes for a city person to start a farm dairy business and just what a non-stop job farming is. Not the best non-fiction I've ever read, but I really enjoyed the subject matter.
Shannon
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was packed full of interesting information and very entertaining. When I finished I had to look up the farm website, now I just want to order some good cheese.
Nancy
About an urban professional who made a midlife switch to farming - goats! and making wonderful cheese!
I liked it very much and loved learning about goats! She was a very compassionate goat farmer. . . .
Jenn
I enjoyed it. I learned alot about making cheese, terroir and the various artisanal cheese makers in Vermont. The writer has a breezy style, and I enjoyed reading about the sheep.
Lisa
Really enjoyed the sneak peak at what goes into owning and working a goat farm and making cheese. Fun for the foodie in me.
Penny
Quick read; fairly interesting.
winniecooper
winniecooper marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Jason Danahy
Jason Danahy marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Koleka Tautuaa
Koleka Tautuaa marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Ashlee Shepherd
Ashlee Shepherd marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Empire of the Eye: Landscape Representation and American Cultural Politics, 1825-1875 Simple Ways to Live Carefree - Overcome Anxiety and Worry (No Shit Guide Series) You Are The Mother Of All Mothers: A Message of Hope for the Grieving Heart Quest Holders AARP Hay Fever: How Chasing a Dream on a Vermont Farm Changed My Life