Start by marking “Der Hundertjährige, der aus dem Fenster stieg und verschwand” as Want to Read:
Der Hundertjährige, der aus dem Fenster stieg und verschwand

Der Hundertjährige, der aus dem Fenster stieg und verschwand

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  134,424 Ratings  ·  16,041 Reviews
Allan Karlsson hat keine Lust auf seine Geburtstagsfeier im Altenheim. Obwohl der Bürgermeister und die Presse auf den 100jährigen Jubilar warten, steigt Allan kurzerhand aus dem Fenster und verduftet. Bald schon sucht ganz Schweden nach dem kauzigen Alten, doch der ist es gewohnt, das Weltgeschehen durcheinander zu bringen und sich immer wieder aus dem Staub zu machen.
Published August 2011 by carl's books (first published 2009)

Morgan Bivens This book is a mix between historical fiction and realistic adventure. It switches between his part in historic events and his current situation,…moreThis book is a mix between historical fiction and realistic adventure. It switches between his part in historic events and his current situation, which is entertaining and humorous.(less)
Hamish Yes, but I think the Hundred-Year-Old Man is much better.

Jennie
Jan 09, 2013 Jennie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
And the title was so promising...

Dumb. Oh so dumb. The humor, if it could be called that, is roughly on par with children's knock knock jokes. And this feeble comedy is hammered on with an incredible relentlessness over 400 pages.

Ha ha...people drink vodka! Ha ha! A man who doesn't like politics meets every important political leader over 5 decades...ha ha! Religion and politics are dumb. Guffaw guffaw.

I actively groaned more times than be counted. I suppose this title will be the darling of b
Richard Derus
Dec 18, 2012 Richard Derus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Pearl Ruled (p100)--coincidentally, the end of chapter 8!
***see update below***
Rating: 1.5* of five

The Publisher Says: The international publishing sensation--over two million copies sold A reluctant centenarian much like Forrest Gump (if Gump were an explosives expert with a fondness for vodka) decides it's not too late to start over...

After a long and eventful life, Allan Karlsson ends up in a nursing home, believing it to be his last stop. The only problem is that he's still in good health,
Robin Webster
Sep 23, 2012 Robin Webster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t think I’ve ever read a book where the title so sums up what the book is all about. The story is set in Sweden and is about the life and adventures of our hero Allan Karlsson who on his hundredth birthday climbed out the window of his old people’s home and disappeared. He then sets out on a journey where he steals a suitcase which turns out to contain a fortune that was paid over to a group of bikers by a Russian organized crime syndicate as payment for a drug deal. There then follows an ...more
Angela Oliver
First it was funny, then it was tedious, then it was just annoying. The name dropping, the fact that one person could have such an influence on world politics. Very farcical. I think what bugged me the most was when they convinced the police officer to join them. Everything was just too smooth, too convenient. I struggled to finish it and I cannot understand what all the hype is about. The writing style seemed off to - aside from the lack of speech marks, there was a lot of repetition and unnece ...more
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
This was fairly enjoyable and funny, but a little out there for my taste. While I understand that a lot of the crazy and unrealistic things that happen were for comedic effect, I tired of it eventually.
If you are looking for a witty, funny, light-hearted tale, maybe give it a try!
Libbeth
Sep 11, 2012 Libbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, 2012
If I could have read this book at school instead of dull text books 'O'level history would have been brought to life. I enjoyed the way historical figures and events were tied in with Allan's remarkable life story, I enjoyed the characters, the daftness of it all and of course what's not to love about an elephant.

Frankie
Feb 14, 2013 Frankie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I have a soft spot for old men so maybe that helped!
I totally adored this old man! Such a sweetie and lead a very interesting life being involved in key points in history. (although I did find one or two of these historic chapters dragged on a bit)

Went straight into the story and the story was brillant.

Had so many unexpected events and moments in this book. Great characters including the chief inspector. Was brillant and kept me hooked the entire way through it. If in all hone
Simonne
Mar 18, 2012 Simonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally bizar book :) A Forust gump kind of feeling. I've never read any kind of book like this one.
The author made me wonder many times what to expect next and often I had a smile on my face.

A bizar great fun kind of book.
Becky
Oct 03, 2012 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first thought upon finishing this book (and the thought will sound negative but it's really not) is that it was much longer than I thought it would be. And I say that, not negatively, because truly, how much can you expect from an 100-year-old man who climbs out of a window?

Well, Allan Karlsson is not your typical 100-year-old man, and this book will prove it to you. I read some of the reviews before I started it, and many people compared the book to the movie Forrest Gump. After finishing th
Kevin Ansbro

"I bear a charmed life."
-William Shakespeare.

Oh, what a FUN read this was!
A real delight.
My wife was the first to devour it on a recent holiday, and while doing so she chortled, chuckled and cackled with such gusto that I imagined someone had let a hyena and a kookaburra loose in our hotel room!
"Oh, you must read this, Kevin! You must read it!" She urged.
(And so I did).

Allan Karlsson absconds from an old people's home on the eve of his hundredth birthday.
He's on the run from the authorities, i
Hal
This novel is absolutely insane! It destroys any image you may have of the stoic, humorless Swede. You may want to avoid reading this book in public. Your guffaws, snickers and smiles are apt to draw weird looks from folks around you.

"The 100-Year-Old Man..." was a hit when first published in Swedish and continued as a comedic smash when translated into English.

It is certainly a rewriting of history. You meet a Franco, a Truman, a Mao, a Nixon and others along the way who are nothing like the hi
Catriona
May 20, 2012 Catriona rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A charming, sweet and often hilarious black comedy.
Enter the world of Allan Karlsson - the 100 year old explosives expert who, during his rather extraordinary century, has met some of the most influential of world leaders, stolen from a ferocious gang member whilst he was in the toilet, developed an affinity with Sonja (who doesn't often take to people - she's quite a discerning elephant) and is a very loyal and protective cat owner.
Not one for sitting quietly when it's time to do something, Al
فرشاد
May 29, 2015 فرشاد rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
یکی از جالب ترین کتابهایی هست که این اواخر خوندم ..روایت موازی از زندگی حال و گذشته یه پیرمرد همراه با ذکر جزئیات تاریخی .. کتاب طنز قابل قبولی داره و روایتی نویسنده خیلی روون و جذاب هست .. ولیکن بنظر میرسه حجم کتاب میتونست قدری ازین کمتر باشه .. و البته اواخر داستان به اندازه شروع جالب نیست .. و اخرین نکته هم اینکه فکر میکنم بخش تاریخی کتاب از بخش دوم قشنگ تر باشه ..درکل کتاب جالبی بود ..
Ana  Vlădescu
My first impulse was to give this a one-star rating, and after about two seconds of thinking, I did exactly that. However, after a more careful revision and after re-reading a couple of passages, I decided this should get a solid two-star rating. The reason is simple: a one star rating, by my mind, is for a book I deem incomparably stupid and written by an imbecile who can't put a couple of words together to form an at least decent story. I have given one star ratings before, and after looking t ...more
مونا حسینی
Feb 15, 2015 مونا حسینی rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-0
یک کتاب بینظیر با ترجمه ای فوق العاده عالی
اصلا به نظرم در این کتاب ، مترجم یعنی خانم فرزانه طاهری
با واژه های قشنگی که به کار بردن و جمله های زیبایی که نوشتن
معجزه کردن.
خوندنش رو به همه توصیه می کنم :)
Margitte
This is the most hilarious, off-the-charts, tragicomedy-idea I have read in a long time. Probably the most outrageous bucket list in motion ever constructed as a plot. I felt a little bit psycho for sniggering where I should not. And laughing out loud made me question my own levels of emotional intelligence! But really, the book is written so bizarrely funny, I just could not help myself. Did I stop reading when I thought to rather see a shrink than continue? Of course not! The action-packed mur ...more
David Sven
Oct 31, 2013 David Sven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
This book is in need of a better, more descriptive title than The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. Seriously, it's about as imaginative as "Jonas Jonasson."

Here is a list of some alternative titles for your consideration Jonas son of himself - how about

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Went on a Killing Spree

or

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Likes to Blow Stuff Up

or

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared, Jonas Jonasson
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: شانزدهم آگوست سال 2014 میلادی
عنوان: مرد صد ساله ای که از پنجره فرار کرد و ناپدید شد؛ نویسنده: یوناس یوناسون؛ مترجم: فرزانه طاهری؛ تهران، نیلوفر، چاپ سوم 1393، در 372 ص؛ شابک: 9789644485978؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان سوئدی - قرن 21 م
در سال 1392 با عنوان: پیرمرد صد ساله ای که از پنجره بیرون پرید و ناپدید شد انتشارات به نگار؛
داستان زندگی پیرمرد قهرمان داستان از ورای تاریخ قرن بیستم میلادی را ا
Anna
Apr 28, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Παππούς ετών 100 που βρίσκεται στο γηροκομείο αποφασίζει τη μέρα που γιορτάζει τα 100ά του γενέθλια ότι το γηροκομείο είναι ένα ιδιαίτερα καταθλιπτικό μέρος για να ζει και ότι δεν έχει ούτε μία μέρα για πέταμα, οπότε πηδάει από το παράθυρο και δραπετεύει. Χωρίς προορισμό και με ελάχιστα χρήματα στην τσέπη του, παίρνει το λεωφορείο με γνώμονα μόνο το πόσο κάνει το εισιτήριο. Στο σταθμό λεωφορείων, όμως, κάνει μια "ατυχή" γνωριμία με έναν γκάγκστερ της "Never again" (ατυχή για το γκάγκστερ), ενώ έ ...more
Miss Ravi
Oct 11, 2015 Miss Ravi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, 1394
گاهی همهچیز بهطور مسخرهای هوشمندانه است. این چیزی است که میشود دربارهی این کتاب نوشت. در نظر اول شخصیت اصلی آدمی احمق و کودن جلوه میکند اما اگر سیر زندگی او را بخوانید، میفهمید که او با اقبال بلند و هوشی زیرکانهای همواره از مرگ گریخته و حالا در صد سالگی دوباره دست به ماجراجویی میزند. کتاب طنزی خوشایند دارد و گاهی از هماهنگی و جفت و جور شدن اتفاقات طوری خندهام میگرفت که دلم نمیآمد برای این کتاب کمتر از چهار ستاره در نظر بگیرم.
به شما بگویم که لحظات خوشی را با این کتاب سپری خواهید کرد. :)

پ.ن: بعد
Elyse
Apr 15, 2014 Elyse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to know where 'the old man' went when he climbed out of the window? Curious? Stop reading the reviews --trust your friend --and take the journey yourself. [MANY other great reviews if you 'must' read some].

This book is priceless!

'Dudes' too will enjoy this book, also! Reading this, *Gary*! lol

Carmen
Feb 28, 2014 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Hilarious book about a 100-year-old man who crawls out of the Nursing Home window and goes on many adventures involving, but not limited to: murder, elephants, and robbery.

The chapters about what's going on with Allan (the old man) now, at age 100, are interspersed with chapters about his many adventures in the past as an explosives expert. In his extensive worldwide travels he meets and befriends Franco, Stalin, Mao Tse-Tung, Presidents Truman and Johnson, Churchill, etc. etc.

I love the bare-b
Noeleen
Dec 06, 2012 Noeleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know what to expect when I started reading Jonas Jonasson’s The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared. I did know that I was in the mood for a right aul giggle and this little gem of a story most certainly didn't disappoint.

Taking us on a journey through the main historical events of the 20th century, Allan Karlsson has certainly lived an eventful, out of the ordinary, crazy life, meeting the top players in the political arena as he does so. Not only that,
Sawsan
Feb 07, 2017 Sawsan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
يهرب آلن من نافذة غرفته بدار المسنين في عيد ميلاده المائة ويختفي
ينطلق في رحلة غير مُخطط لها يلتقي فيها بشخصيات غريبة وأحداث غير مُتوقعة
وأثناء رحلة الهروب يحكي الكاتب عن حياة آلن خلال مائة عام ومغامراته التي لا تنتهي
طوال حياته يقع في ورطات غير معقولة ويخرج منها ببساطة وعفوية
يتنقل بين البلاد ويعاصر الأحداث الكبيرة والخطيرة في العالم ويُصادق رؤساء الدول

رواية لطيفة ومسلية مكتوبة بأسلوب فكاهي وساخر
Victoria

Let’s be honest, it’s a ridiculous title. I like ridiculous titles though, they breed curiosity at the very least (even if they do get shortened in discussion for ease and amusement – my favourite shortened title thus far is “Heartbreaking sh*tty sh*itness” – 5 points to the person who works out the full title first). So when Betty picked this for book club this month, I was at least drawn in by the title (and of course by the author’s fantastic name). And the ridiculousness of the title most d
لیلی
Apr 16, 2015 لیلی rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: دارمشان
شاید یکی از ۱۰-۱۵ کتاب برتری باشه که تا حالا خوندم!
و برترین بودن همیشه به ارزش ادبی و تاریخی و این ها نیست، گاهی برترین دقیقا ینی اونی که از خوندنش لذت بیشتری میبریم!:)
بثينة العيسى
هذه رواية لطيفة، يندر أن يقرأ أحدنا نصًا أدبيًا على هذا القدر من الفكاهة. في مقاطع كثيرة وجدتني أقهقه، وأنا بطبيعتي ممتنة لكل من يجعلني أضحك.

مجنونة فكرة أن يكون عجوزا في المئة من عمره سببًا في تشكيل تاريخنا المعاصر. أحببت الربط وقدرة الكاتب المدهشة على خلق العلاقات. الحبكة كانت متقنة مثل ماسّة.

الشيء الوحيد الذي لم يعجبني هو الإطالة، بعد 200 صفحة تصبح شريكا مع الكاتب في الكتابة، لأنك اكتشفت لعبته، وهذا أفقدني بعض المتعة.

قراءة ممتعة أتمناها للجميع! وشكرا دار المنى على هذا الكتاب.
Ace
Dec 06, 2016 Ace rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what I was expecting the 'story' to be with this book that has such a great title, but I didn't enjoy it.

I was not interested in the million things that had happened to Allan over the last 100 years. I thought it was all a bit ridiculous and I didn't connect with him or anyone else in the book, not even the elephant!

I absolutely loved The girl who saved the king of Sweden, so I'm baffled as to why this one didn't do it for me.
2 stars.
·Karen·
Sep 27, 2011 ·Karen· rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-german
In which we learn that only a Finn or a Russian can compete in the hard drinking stakes with a Swede.

Allan Karlsson is not looking forward to the impending celebration of his 100th birthday in the company of his fellow inmates of the care facility in which Sister Alice rules with an iron hand in an iron glove. Nor does he relish speechifying by the local mayor and the interest of reporters. In fact the whole shebang is likely to take place with nothing more refreshing to the spirit than tea, so
  • Das Känguru-Manifest
  • Berlin Poplars
  • The Second Coming
  • Petits suicides entre amis
  • Dandy
  • The Boy Who Granted Dreams
  • The Darkest Room (The Öland Quartet, #2)
  • Doppler
  • The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules
  • Potensgiverne
  • Hersenschimmen
  • Beatles
  • Het huis van de moskee
  • Der Hals der Giraffe
  • Capital
  • Tiny Sunbirds, Far Away
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Ett öga rött
After a long career as a journalist, media consultant and television producer, Jonas Jonasson decided to start a new life. He wrote a manuscript, he sold all his possessions in Sweden and moved to a small town by Lake Lugano in Switzerland, only a few meters from the Italian border.

The manuscript became a novel. The novel became a phenomenon in Sweden, and now it is about to reach the rest of the
More about Jonas Jonasson...

“Things are what they are, and whatever will be, will be.” 317 likes
“People could behave how they liked, but Allan considered that in general it was quite unnecessary to be grumpy if you had the chance not to.” 135 likes