Start by marking “Professional Baking” as Want to Read:
Professional Baking

Professional Baking

A clear and well-illustrated book on both the theory and practice of all aspects of professional baking. Over 400 recipes and 200 drawings and photographs describe fine quality bakery and dessert products, including breads, pies, cakes, pastries, custards, meringues, souffles, puddings, frozen deserts, and decorative work. Special sections on exotic decorative work cover t ...more
Published February 4th 1985 by Wiley

Andy
Jun 20, 2010 Andy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bakers
Shelves: kitchenxplosion
If you're into baking at all this is essential reading. One of the textbooks used at Le Cordon Bleu, this excellent instructional book goes into exhaustive detail about different flours, leavening agents, every style of bread, pastry, cakes and even custards. You probably won't have need for another baking book once you get this, because Wayne Gisslen's Professional Baking is as comprehensive as it gets.
Ginnie
Sep 25, 2010 Ginnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All bakers.
Recommended to Ginnie by: My chef
The worst problem with this textbook is how much you have to flip around to find the complete technique to the formulas. Rather impractical when in the middle of tempering chocolate or making an Italian Meuringue.
Syahira Sharif

This is one of the book I frequently use and read all these years. Its a comprehensive book about the science of baking and it cover all the basic terms and steps in baking pastries, cakes and bread. Although I never actually use this book for the recipes but I find it provide wealth of information that you wouldn't find even in the wikipedia.

The recipes started with the basics to intermediate and professional. Unlike the Professional Cooking where you don't really need the precise measurement
Rick Hunter
Aug 27, 2015 Rick Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, culinary
So far, this is the best book that I've read in Culinary School. if you have any interest in baking at all, this book shows you are of the basics. Not only does it show you all of the baking basics of everything from biscuits to creme Brule to pies, it shows you how to make pretty much anything that a batter is used for like doughnuts & crepes. There are also plenty of recipes for fillings & sauces to go along with your baked goods. This one is a must for any Culinary professional.
De
Jan 09, 2011 De rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a great book for bakers. The recipes are terrific for the cakes, pies, etc. but our bread was consistently too wet because the recipes call for far too much water. We cut it back by 1/3 and would add as needed to make the proper consistency. That said there are some wonderful and exotic cakes in there that I was lucky enough that my BFF made and put my name on :)
Alma
Aug 27, 2012 Alma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This text was included in my classes at LCB. I keep it around in part because of the recipes and the notes I took, but it makes a great reference volume, as well. Covers a lot of topics, and has a huge number of recipes.
Justina
Jun 02, 2015 Justina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yasmine Alfouzan
Great explanations of techniques, but there is no way in hell I'm going to use emulsified shortening.
Tina
Dec 21, 2012 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clear instructions, beautiful pictures and fantastic recipes. Best textbook I've used so far. No re-selling this one; it's a keeper, for sure.
Mary
Sep 16, 2008 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
great textbook - has a lot of information that I am constantly using for reference. Also, the formulas are really easy to use and variate and i have found some of the best recipes out of this book.
Courtney
Apr 15, 2016 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a wonderful baking book. Excellent recipes. If you are in the field of cooking or baking this is what you will need.
Petabyte
Oct 06, 2007 Petabyte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kitchen-magic
I'll probably never use anything from this book (my sister bakes, and quite well too!) because I'm too lazy, but paging through it gives me an appetite. :)
Mia
Aug 14, 2008 Mia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading this for school, I've found that it's very informative. We're using the Fifth Edition, which Goodreads doesn't have listed.
I recommend it for serious bakers out there.
Brittany Chambers
Jun 27, 2014 Brittany Chambers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Textbook for my pastry class- a good blend of history, terminology, method, and recipes (sorry, formulas).
Super useful!
Holli Starnes
Holli Starnes rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2013
Regine Rose
Regine Rose rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was amazing
Dec 09, 2007
Cache
Cache rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2015
Gwen
Gwen rated it liked it
Jul 31, 2016
Robin
Robin rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Eldric Liew
Eldric Liew rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2014
Matheus De
Matheus De rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2007
Nicole Von buelow
Nicole Von buelow rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2014
Zeke
Zeke rated it it was amazing
Jul 01, 2014
Sillsjeffrey
Sillsjeffrey rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2013
Melissa  I
Melissa I rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Jane
Jane rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2008
Syafiqahmurad
Syafiqahmurad rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2014
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • In the Sweet Kitchen: The Definitive Baker's Companion
  • How Baking Works: Exploring the Fundamentals of Baking Science
  • The Secrets of Baking: Simple Techniques for Sophisticated Desserts
  • The Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate
  • The Art & Soul of Baking
  • On Cooking: A Textbook of Culinary Fundamentals
  • How to Bake: Complete Guide to Perfect Cakes, Cookies, Pies, Tarts, Breads, Pizzas, Muffins,
  • Nancy Silverton's Breads from the La Brea Bakery: Recipes for the Connoisseur
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • Advanced Bread and Pastry
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • The New Professional Chef
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • Paris Sweets: Great Desserts from the City's Best Pastry Shops