Start by marking “Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts” as Want to Read:
Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts

Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts

3.04 of 5 stars 3.04  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Three childhood friends. A malicious lie. One hell of a consequence.
Growing up, Roxanne, Del, and Alice tested the limits of their friendship with cruel, and often dangerous, games-but they always knew they would be bound together forever. Now, Alice's marriage is over, and her husband is having a child with another woman. Roxanne, an artist consumed by her work, is losin
Published December 30th 2008 by Ballantine Books

Be the first to ask a question about Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts

Tia
CALLING MR. LONELY HEARTS by Laura Benedict is a supernatural suspense, a genre that I only touch lightly here at Fantasy Debut. Usually, I like heroic tales of high adventure, which this book is decidedly not. But I loved it anyway. I couldn't put it down.

CALLING is a complex tale about three women, Alice, Roxanne and Del. Alice is the ultimate follower--she would do anything that her hero, Roxanne, says. Roxanne relishes this power, and like all power, it corrupts her. Del is Roxanne's support
Diane
Laura Benedict is a new to me author. Her new book titled: Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts sounded intriguing, so I decided to get it from the library. From the title alone, I had no idea this book would be as creepy as it was.............YIKES!

About the book

After summoning a lover through a ritual part witchcraft, three 13-year-old Lolitas—Roxanne, Del and Alice—believe that their new teacher at Cincinnati's Our Lady of the Hills school, is the angel sent to deflower them. Roxanne successfully scheme
Laurie
Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts was a dark tale of lies, revenge and the way they can eat at your soul. Roxanne, Del and Alice are teens at a private high school when the story begins. Bored with their lives, these 3 drastically different girls become interested in the arrival of a new priest. Roxanne, the ringleader of the group, is fascinated with the handsome Cuban priest named Romero. She leads the girls to spy on him and fantasizes about spending time with him. This thinking leads the girls to te ...more
Christie
I’ve tried to write a review for Calling Mr Lonely Hearts several times but every time I try to say what this book is about I get stuck. It could be summer brain; my mind just isn’t firing on all cylinders or it could be that I really don’t know what to say about Benedict’s book.

We first meet Roxanne, Del and Alice in the park. Roxanne is casting a spell or conjuring a spirit. It’s really nothing more than a childhood prank, but it has serious repercussions for the three friends. We don’t get to
Myvampfiction
review by SusanAshlea

*Warning: possible spoilers ahead.*

What goes around comes around...
You reap what you sow...

Never have those phrases been more true than in Calling Mr. Lonely Hearts, the second novel by author Laura Benedict. This book tells the story of 3 friends - Alice, Del and Roxanne - and how their childish games and spells come back to haunt them in the worst possible way.

Del, Roxanne and Alice all three agree to do a spell which Roxanne promises will bring them the perfect boyfriend
Cheryl Klein
This book may be the final straw in my habit of browsing the sparse shelves of my library's books-on-CD section for novels to listen to during my commute (next time I'll place something on hold that comes with good credentials). The subject matter--black magic, sinful priests, possession--is sensational, but the book is surprisingly boring. The prose lacks the shimmer of mystery that much less explicitly supernatural books deliver.

Mr. Lonely Hearts is the story of three Catholic schoolgirls who
Kelli
Angela (The Next Chapter)
This review and more can be found on my blog

This book was absolutely terrible, in my opinion. The characters were all extremely unlikable and didn't have one good or redeeming quality. I couldn't relate to a single character or find even one good quality in any of them. I I found myself not caring what happened to any of them. This book was so incredibly boring that I struggled to stay awake while reading it and couldn't wait for it to be finished just so I could move on to something else. I lit
Jo
9th February 2011

I was expecting this book to be supernatural and I enjoy being a little frightened, but this was just nasty! The characters were all unpleasant, damaged people with no redeeming features, there was no one to empathise with and some parts of the book were simply repellant. I am not in the least squeamish but found this distasteful. I am unlikely to read another of this author's books. I did read Isabella Moon which was supernatural but this has gone up several notches and was jus
Terry Blane
This book was very overwhelming for me....I liked how Gothic this novel was and it was enticing to read.....it was more eerie and dark which I liked and the secrets that were revealed later on really did shock me as reader. It left me in suspense and i loved it!!!

Tiffany Gadbois
I've never read a book where I hated every single character, until now. The main characters would best be described as ruthless, a pushover and pathetic. With that being said, I was intrigued enough to keep reading it to the end and they deserved their fate. I sided with evil.
Jodi
Maybe it was because I listened to this as an audio but frankly, with friends like these women, who needs enemies? Each of the three women were nasty and mean and had been since childhood. As teens they ruined the lives of a priest (though he did all the ruining) and he decides to get revenge by calling on the devil, which he does pretty effectively. The reader was awful. I kept thinking that Varik (the devil-type) was a vampire from Transylvania because that was the accent. I didn't think the p ...more
Emily Farrington
Loved this so beautiful wanted it to go on forever
Terri
This is a dark thriller about a group of people whose lives have become intertwined in a twisted skein of dysfunction. In the center of the knot are three girlhood friends, now all grown up and each having chosen a very different life. One is seriously unbalanced; one is a free-spirited artist; and the third is living a calmly married life.

Early in their teenage years they performed a ritual to summon a boyfriend especially for them. The rest of the book may or may not be a result of the impact
Barbara ★
This is a book that I would have given up on if it hadn't been a 5-star title. I didn't like any of the three girls - Roxanne, Delilah or Alice. They were all vindictive little bitches with evil intent. Roxanne was the instigator but the others followed like little disciples of satan. In the end I believe they got what they deserved but I don't think Romero should have blamed himself for the results of his own machinations. After all, the girls wronged him first and even without his intentions, ...more
June Hotaling
wow strong language,very dark & evil.
Becca
I generally don't read horror novels, and I was reminded why with this book. Perhaps its unfair for me to rate it poorly in that I was disturbed by it, but I guess it's fair warning to those looking to read it.
There's a central figure who's the embodiment of evil, and all sorts of terrible things happen
repeatedly.
and I finished it feeling like I didn't gain anything. I did find the "end" of the main characters to be interesting and for me, unexpected. All in all, though, I wouldn't recommend t
Susan
I forced myself to make it through 5 discs of the audio book before giving up. What a depressing book. Not one character had any redeeming qualities so I just didn't like any one enough to worry about all the horrible things happening to them. Sometimes when I don't like an audio book, I go get the printed version at the library to scan through and learn the ending but I didn't see any reason to depress myself any more than I already had.
Sue
i really liked this book...all the twists and turns, wonderful. don't let the time it took me to read this make you think it wasn't good or a page turner! it most certainly was....there was too much life going on for me for a while is the only reason it took so long to finish. i would highly recommend this book...thanks laura, you've done it again! great read!
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
This book gave me chills. I will never say, "I'd give anything if....." You have to be careful what you wish for. You have to be careful what you trade your soul for....this book centers around the lives of three girls, the choices they make and the consequences of those choices. This book is graphic, creepy and chilling and I would read it again.
Robyn
I picked this up randomly at the library, being in the mood for something suspenseful and frivolous. It was well written, but a little genre-less. Unclear whether it was horror or fantasy or thriller or what. Entertaining enough, but read kind of like a movie script in its lack of characterization or other novel-like qualities.
Dorsi
I almost stopped reading this book several times. It was very difficult to stay with. Very slow in parts. I will say that the story is original & the characters are well developed. The whole thing was entirely too dark for me & the ending (actually much of the book) was incredibly DEPRESSING!
Arbkdbarb
Blech! I managed to choke down 100 pages and finally just gave up. I didn't care for a single character (and there were too many anyway). I thought it would be suspenseful, but it was just downright weird and it skipped around so much I couldn't even seem to follow the storyline.
I read 2/3 of the book, but I just felt no need to keep reading it. Some of it was interesting, I suppose, but it was not so gut-wrenchingly-absorbing that I wanted to even skim until the ending to see what happened.
Aurora
Plenty of dark, messy psychological stuff going on here. I started it thinking I wouldn't finish it, but got kind of mesmerized, wanting to know how it all turned out in the end.
Amber Jones
Creepy is the only thing I can say about this book. I don't think I would knowingly read another book by this author.
Donna
Depressing!!! with a "thrown together ending" that was stupid. This is the last Benedict book I'm reading!
Shirley
Not well written. Just a bunch of details that could have been presented more effectively.
Nicole
Feb 25, 2009 Nicole rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gwennie
Shelves: myst
Good supernatural thriller about consequences. The flashback scenes were a little annoying.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mist Over Pendle
  • The Drowning Pool
  • The Lonely Mile
  • Pictures That [Tick]
  • Triskellion (Triskellion, #1)
  • Dispatch
  • His Perfect Submissive
  • Ghosts: Recent Hauntings
  • Hide Your Eyes
  • Hide And Seek (The September Day Series, #2)
  • Witness in Palestine: A Jewish American Woman in the Occupied Territories
  • Selected Stories
  • The Leaping
Author of dark suspense novels. BLISS HOUSE--a Southern Gothic ghost story--is out in June 2014. Her other novels, DEVIL'S OVEN, ISABELLA MOON and CALLING MR. LONELY HEARTS, are available in paper and as ebooks. She lives in the southernmost part of a Midwestern state, surrounded by coyotes, owls, deer, and a sky bright with stars.
More about Laura Benedict...
Isabella Moon Bliss House Devil's Oven Surreal South: An Anthology of Short Fiction and Poetry Surreal South '09: An Anthology of Short Fiction