Start by marking “The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank” as Want to Read:
The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank

The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  15,125 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
O extraordinário diário de Anne Frank tem vindo a comover milhares de leitores em todo o mundo, sendo um testemunho pungente e humano da perseguição aos judeus durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial. No entanto, sabe-se muito pouco da vida desta jovem após a sua captura, a 4 de Agosto de 1944, e posterior envio para os campos de concentração. Como suportou ela a brutalidade do ...more
Published July 1st 1992 by Anchor (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank

Alys Marchand
May 14, 2013 Alys Marchand rated it it was amazing
Those complaining that this book doesn't detail every day in the last seven months of Anne's life need to stop and realize that the only person with her all that time also died. Millions died. That the author of this book found six women who had spent any time with Anne is remarkable. Expecting to know what happened every day is simply not possible. Given the gravity of the Holocaust and the uphill battle of finding anyone who spent any time with her and knew her name at the time is impressive.

T
Krisanne Stewart
Mar 02, 2010 Krisanne Stewart rated it liked it
Oh my goodness. I bought this book because I wanted to know the "rest of the story": what happened to Anne Frank after she and her family were discovered.

The book has 6 different stories from survivors who crossed the Franks lives at some point. It was a bit of a tough read. These people retell horrific events in almost a flat, mono-tone tone. Almost all of them recount what it felt like to be stripped naked and have all of their body hair shaved.

As a mother, this book was almost unbearable be
Oct 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: history
The title "The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank" is a misleading title. I bought this book in the hopes that I would learn what happened to Anne during the 7 months she spent in the concentration camps. Instead, I heard the stories of several women who, at best, had chance encounters with Anne Frank.

While the stories these women told were heart-rendering and moving, they were not about Anne Frank. The women described the experiences Anne *might* have had while in captivity. In some cases, the onl
Mmars
Apr 02, 2012 Mmars rated it it was amazing
Really liked the approach of this book. Because Anne Frank is the most well-known victim of the Holocaust, Lindwer uses her to broaden his audience. I think that's why many people disliked this book. They loved the Anne Frank story & wanted more. They didn't want to read about the horrors of the Holocaust. Way to go Lindwer! Noone should pass through this life without reading about that one.

By assembling the accounts of women who either knew Anne or knew of her in the concentration camp he
Rossy
Oct 12, 2015 Rossy rated it liked it
This book was not about Anne Frank's last seven months, but the stories of 6 women about her individual experiences in the concentration camps. Many reviewers say this title was deceptive, and yes, it was, because this women just crossed Anne and her family at one point of another, but I guess the author "used" Anne to illustrate anyone's experience at the time. This events happened to so many people that, in a way, they happened to Anne, to Margo, to her mother, to her father, to any of the ...more
Sharon
Sep 10, 2007 Sharon rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students. teachers. humans.
Shelves: sofarin2007
Being the one person on the planet who actually wants to go to Amsterdam just to see the Anne Frank House, I loved this book. It's full of little known family photos and first person accounts of her last days from the people who were actually there with herin the camps,who survived. It's amazing to be able to picture her so personally, and to have it feel so real and as if it might have happened to *you*...it's a great companion to the diary, and I'm sure teachers could use parts of it for a ...more
Zöe Yu
Mar 10, 2012 Zöe Yu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holocaust-thema
I bought this book in Jerusalem after I met Mrs. Hannah Elisabeth Pick-Goslar known as "Lies Goosens" in Anne Franks Tagebuch. She gave us a speech on the last time she saw and spoke to Anne with the barbwire between them. She is a wonderful lady with good spirit, she could speak German, and I showed her my Tagebuch bought in Berlin Anne Frank Centre, she signed my book. I was happy that in my life time I am so lucky to meet her and hear her speech of their stories.

This book is basically interv
Emily
Aug 10, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I never realized (if I knew, I had forgotten) that Anne Frank actually died of typhus at Bergen-Belsen - not the gas chamber at Auschwitz-Birknau and just a few weeks before the liberation of the camps. The book also gives her diary a bit more of a context, as there is some information about her life before and after going into hiding.

And I feel that this quote by Rachel van Amerongen-Frankfoorder sums up many, many things about the Holocaust and its aftermath: "The Allies must
Andrew
Aug 10, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, 2012
This is an extremely harrowing read, I was actually quite shocked when I read that it was actually aimed at young readers. It tells the story of six women who knew Anne Frank in the months after she and her family were taken from their hiding place.
I have seen a couple of reviews that say the title is misleading, I sort of understand that. At first you assume that the book is going to be a chronological narrative of what happened to Anne in that time. Of course, if such material existed, it wou
Maria Carmo
May 10, 2016 Maria Carmo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I read this book in less than 24 hours. I just could not stop! It is more than the last seven months of Anne Frank, it is the lives of several women who came across Anne and Margot during their last months. The sheer reality of these women's lives makes one take stock of all that we have and incites us to cherish our freedom of expression and our heritage.
One of the details I found so interesting was the fact that some of these women were politically awaken and aware even before Hitler managed t
Zoe
Jul 16, 2011 Zoe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Although this book, as several others point out, includes accounts of those who had at times very fleeting meetings with Anne Frank this is irrelevant to the worth of this book. I even think that Anne Frank is irrelevant to this book to some degree though it is good that having been referenced to Anne Frank it probably saw a larger readership.

These womens stories are incredible. Some of them admit they were hard to tell. But there are several moments things from this book that stay with me. Tha
Sam
Jun 09, 2016 Sam rated it it was amazing
So sad. So impacting. WOW.
Nick
Aug 02, 2012 Nick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an important addition to the Diary, and fills in extra details about others whose lives overlapped with Anne's, even if fleetingly, in the months after the Franks' capture.

I urge anyone who is even remotely interested in humanity to read this book. It is not just about the treatment of Anne Frank, or of Jews in general. It also describes how humans can become inhuman when they lose compassion.
More positively, it tells the story of a country defiant under occupation, and of the coura
Kecia
Feb 06, 2012 Kecia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, judaism
This is a collection of interviews with six women who knew Anne Frank after her arrest. These women are not famous like Anne, but their stories are important too. I've always wanted to visit the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, but one of the women who knew Anne, wrote in the visitor's book, Anne would not have wanted this. (or something to the effect). Now, I'm not sure I do want to visit there. Perhaps just reading her diary is more than enough.

I knew Anne and Margot died at Bergen-Belsen shortl
Sofija
Aug 07, 2016 Sofija rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Estava um pouco céptica em relação a este livro, já muito foi dito sobre Anne Frank e julguei que este seria apenas um escritor qualquer a tentar lucrar com a sua vida. Para ser sincera só comecei a lê-lo porque foi oferecido pela minha e ainda bem que o fez.

O livro é o testemunho de seis mulheres que tiveram contacto com a Anne Frank e a sua família depois de ela ser capturada pelos nazis, mas não se limita a isso até porque o seu contacto foi breve e com interrupções. Talvez algumas pessoas s
Sally
I bought this two days ago after visiting the Anne Frank Huis in Amsterdam, because I have always been very interested in tales of the Holocaust and have of course read her diary. As a book on its own it was interesting and harrowing, yet more uplifting than some since of course all of the women telling their stories had survived the concentration camps. However, I thought the title was a bit misleading because it was not about the last seven months of Anne's life at all. It was seven months ...more
Valerie
Oct 13, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing
I bought this book at the Anne Frank house in amsterdam. When I read the back I thought that I was going to find out about Anne in the camps. Instead I was presented with others stories who shared in the experiences. My heart hurts so badly for each of these ladies. My only though tomboy liking the book was the stories were poorly edited.'they were told in the exact thoughts and phrases the ladies told them.
Although it's great to hear them exacty as they remember them, it would of been great for
Rebecca
Sep 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
You don't need to be familiar with the Anne Frank story to be drawn into this book. It has first hand accounts of several women who survived the concentration camps, and crossed paths with Anne Frank while there, sometimes in very small ways. They really give the details of the special challenges women faced in the camps, and how they made it through. Their stories are fascinating and inspiring apart from their Anne Frank connection.
Amy
May 31, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing
This is yet another book that illustrates the strength of the human spirit. It isn't pleasant to read about what these women went through during the holocaust, but we owe it to them to hear their story. If they could survive it and live to tell the story...the least we can do is listen, and try to learn something from it. Each woman knew the Frank family and either shared a barracks, a position in line for roll call, or a transport with them.
Sean Kennedy
Feb 04, 2014 Sean Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A series of interviews from women who crossed paths with Anne Frank in Auschwitz and Bergen-Belsen, there is real pain in the simple way they tell their stories. Anne Frank is often a symbol of the 6+ million who died in concentration camps, but here are six more women with stories to tell. And every one should be heard.
Tee Ponsukcharoen
Oct 24, 2016 Tee Ponsukcharoen rated it really liked it
This book portrays not only life of Anne Frank, but various lives of people in the concentration camp who did not give up and take care of each other. That's a relief that the good of humanity is not crushed even in the darkest time.
Michelle Beese
Dec 04, 2016 Michelle Beese rated it it was amazing
Having just visited Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam, reading this book had such a powerful impact on me. It is so inspirational that these women were able to survive what they did. It also reminds me that I have nothing to complain about, and to be appreciate all of the good I have in my life!
Camryn Ciancia
Nov 16, 2016 Camryn Ciancia rated it liked it
I thought this book was good. It was cool to get other perspectives of the Anne Frank story and it was like I got insider information. The concept was really cooland I enjoyed it.
Claudia Moscovici
Apr 16, 2015 Claudia Moscovici rated it really liked it
Review of The Last Seven Months of Anne Frank by Willy Lindwer
The Diary of Anne Frank is one of the most important legacies of the Holocaust. It documents the experiences of a young Jewish girl, her family and their friends while hiding for years in concealed rooms behind a bookcase, called “the Secret Annex”, in Nazi occupied Netherlands. Anne Frank’s father, mother and sister moved into the Secret Annex in July 1942. Soon they were joined there by the Van Pels family and by Fritz Pfeffer, a de
Magda Pais
Aug 22, 2016 Magda Pais rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own, 2016
Pela primeira vez desde que me propus escrever sobre os livros que leio, estou com engulhos sobre um livro ou sobre o que escrever sobre ele. Ora vamos lá explicar o que se passa e pode ser que me compreendam. Ou que, escrevendo, eu própria me compreenda.

O livro chama-se Os últimos sete meses de Anne Frank e traz-nos o testemunho de seis mulheres que sofreram horrores nos campos de concentração nazi. Para que humanidade não esqueça aquele que foi o maior genocídio da história, aceitaram partilha
Ellie
Sep 27, 2013 Ellie rated it liked it
Introduction: Willy Lindwer’s The last seven months of Anne Frank, is a biography of seven women.

Body Paragraph 1:This book is about seven women who tell their stories about being Jewish during the war. All of these women once knew Anne in Westerbork concentration camp, Auschwitz, or Bergen-Belsen, and were fortunate enough to make it out alive.They explain how they ended up in a concentration camp and what it was like to be living there.

BOdy Paragraph 2: The tone was the most effective in the
Nose in a book (Kate)
This was a tough read, in more ways than one, but it was also an enlightening and occasionally reaffirming one and I’m glad I have read it.

The title is to be honest misleading. This is not a book about Anne Frank. Rather, Anne Frank is a loose link between six Dutch women who tell their stories of the war and their experiences of concentration camps. More accurately what they have in common is that they were all arrested by the Nazis toward the end of the occupation of the Netherlands and taken
The Book Worm
May 06, 2016 The Book Worm rated it liked it
his book is a collection of the testimonies of six dutch women that were arrested and taken to concentration camps during World War Two. Other than the introductory notes and the descriptions that accompany the photos, everything is told in the first person. Through these women's stories lives the memory of those that did not survive. Anne Frank was one of them.
This is not a light book, and neither it is meant to be. It would be insulting otherwise. It is a book where the capacity of the human
Trisha
Sep 24, 2014 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Ik laat het even bezinken en tot een verhaal komen.

25/9/14:
Ik heb het boek echt moeten laten bezinken. Het was lastig om te beschrijven wat ik heb gelezen vooral omdat het vooral ook biografisch is.

Zeven vrouwen vertellen in dit boek over hun leven tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog en vertellen over hun leven en hun kennismaking met Anne Frank, Margo en hun moeder.
De vrouwen uit het boek vertellen wat zij deden voordat ze werden opgepakt, hoe hun kampreis is verlopen en waar ze Anne ontmoette. Ze
  • The Hidden Life of Otto Frank
  • Memories Of Anne Frank: Reflections of a Girlhood Friend
  • Anne Frank: The Book, the Life, the Afterlife
  • Anne Frank: Her life in words and pictures from the archives of The Anne Frank House
  • Anne Frank: The Biography
  • The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank
  • From the Ashes of Sobibor: A Story of Survival
  • Edith's Story
  • The Dentist of Auschwitz: A Memoir
Documentary filmmaker and television producer Willy Lindwer has been a director and producer since graduating from the Netherlands Film Academy in Amsterdam in 1971. For many years he was on the program staff of several Dutch broadcasters. He founded his company AVA Productions in 1985. Currently he heads two TV-companies, AVA Productions in The Netherlands and Terra Film Productions in Jerusalem, ...more
More about Willy Lindwer...