Start by marking “The Mustard Seed” as Want to Read:
The Mustard Seed

The Mustard Seed

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  291 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Examining the ancient Gospel of Thomas--a Gnostic text supressed by the early church--Osho paints a portrait of Jesus that is radical and revolutionary, a Jesus who makes demands that run counter to the safe and gentle person of traditonal Christian teaching.
Published July 1st 2004 by Element Books Ltd. (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about The Mustard Seed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mustard Seed

Kim
Nov 16, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
The first book of many that I have read of Osho. (Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh when I read it) An absolutely fantastic look into the real meanings of the words of Jesus. Only a Master such as Osho can bring light to the true meanings of many of the parables of the Master that was Jesus. I read this in the summer of 1982 and it changed my life. It took me 9 months to read the first time as Rajneesh completely dismantled my understanding of the world and my belief structure. I would literally shake whil ...more
Harshavardhan Sakate
Jan 28, 2013 Harshavardhan Sakate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
4th Book by osho after god conspiracy, krishna - the man and his philosophy and The book of woman..... Very nice, helps to get a lot of knowledge.... Increases respect about Jesus.... His teachings are told in the way of osho along with his stories and jokes and great philosophy.... Though he has criticized jesus in many ways, here he has told his teachings.. Recommended to those having interest in jesus, religion and philosophy........!!!
Carolyn
Eye opening and enlightening. My first OSHO read... And I can't tell you how many "aha" and "exactly" moments I had. How many notations I made laboriously in my Kobo. How much I wanted to commit all of these ideas and feelings to memory.

Jesus, as the Ascended Master, the man he is truly. Not manipulated by church or politics. A message clear and untainted.
Sandrine
Apr 07, 2011 Sandrine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably the best Osho book I've read to date. I'll always treasure it. Always.
Luis
Feb 11, 2012 Luis rated it it was amazing
He brought a different point a of view in Jesus teachings. He put him as a enlightened person such as Buddha and never denied his existence or teachings.
Donna Kirk
Nov 09, 2007 Donna Kirk rated it it was amazing
This book basically changed my life.
Gregory
Jan 11, 2012 Gregory rated it it was amazing
Outstanding, Joyfilled
Jason Short
Jun 17, 2015 Jason Short rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book and took a lot of its wisdom to heart. This is my first exposure to the Gnostic scriptures and I am very interested to learn more about them. Osho lays bare religious insights that are hard to swallow and he holds no punches with regards to his teachings about abandoning the ego and materialism in exchange for a new, more awakened self. At points, in my humble opinion, Osho does come across a bit like a rambling lunatic on a downtown corner and he is quite difficult t ...more
Camille Michiko
Feb 15, 2016 Camille Michiko rated it it was amazing
Another phenomenal book from the lectures of Osho. Jesus can never be taken literally, and although you cannot take Osho too literally, he tries to unfold the truth in words that the people of this generation are able to grasp that Jesus speaks of in 21 of his sayings that are very much misinterpreted by our unconsciousness if we attempt to interpret them ourselves. Maybe then only enlightened masters should interpret the teachings of previous enlightened masters for they have the eyes to see an ...more
Lydia
Aug 10, 2011 Lydia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read, no matter what your religious affiliation. He has some great insights and formulas for good living. I did enjoy the controversial nature of the book, too. Lost writings, even hidden texts kept privatized by the Catholic Church in Rome. Very thought-provoking.
Wendy
May 20, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, divine journey into living outside the box.....
Brandon
Jan 18, 2015 Brandon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very well thought out meditation on some of the sayings from the gnostic Gospel of Thomas, one of the Nag Hammadi texts. I wouldn't say this is a Christian book, though. I don't know much about Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh (later known as Osho), but this is basically Eastern philosophy/spirituality, not Christian per se. Of course, Rajneesh is of the mindset that all religions at their core are the same, once you dig through the surface stuff that gets laid over the basic spirituality, ...more
Ricardo Acuña
Un libro extraordinario, revelador, paradójico y profundo que recorre las enseñanzas de Jesús desde un punto de vista místico. Es una interpretación profunda de los evangelios, espiritual y metafísica. Recorre muchos temas de vida, muerte, deseo, culpa, tiempo pasado y futuro, conciencia y muchos más. Reflexiones muy profundas y reveladoras sobre las parábolas de los evangelios, que nos transforman si las recibimos con una atención y disposición abierta. Para mí, el mejor de los libros de Osho.

"
Lou Carmichael
Sep 30, 2015 Lou Carmichael rated it it was amazing
Osho has a habit of throwing you into obstinate disagreement, shaking you up, spinning it around and leaving you contemplating the very opposite you thought he was saying in the first place. A complete mindbender of a read, a revelation of christ consciousness. My first Osho read, pulled out of the bottom of a black sack in a charity shop, what a jewel!
Dan Pfeiffer
Dec 08, 2014 Dan Pfeiffer rated it really liked it
This is a challenging book in some passages because it asserts a non-Western/organized religion view of Jesus by way of discussing the meaning of 21 of His sayings. And while I do not agree entirely with some of the assertations I do enjoy any work that challenges orthodoxy. By providing a Hindu spiritualist viewpoint the author achieves a deeper philosophical and comforting understanding of the message.
Divakar
Oct 18, 2014 Divakar rated it really liked it
one of the best book.. I have ever read...for me it took some time to understand the things that are conveyed in the book...It was a truly a spiritual awakening experience....Osho gave a clear insight of Christ messages...Very good book..
Dennis Johnson
Definitive reading for all

If one thinks one knows anything about Jesus, this is the book to read.
This could be the greatest book ever written on the subject.
Rodrigo Bacila
Sep 10, 2015 Rodrigo Bacila rated it it was amazing
No words can describe how deep is this book, a profund analyses of our souls and meenings! It comes to be almost dangerous!!!!
Terry
Jul 24, 2012 Terry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
Subtitled "A living explanation of the sayings of Jesus from the Gospel According to Thomas," this book is based on the Dead Sea scrolls. Rajneesh starts each of his twenty discourses with a quote from this gospel. He does a very good job of explaining what Christ meant by his sayings, why he said it, and how the text can be used to build our lives today. Rajneesh maintains that Christ is the eternal seed within everyone's heart, and that increased awareness will bring out what Jesus and Buddha ...more
Deborah J.
Aug 19, 2014 Deborah J. rated it it was amazing
For those who are curious about e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g Jesus has ever said….

Osho, despite his personal reputation, is a brilliant, and inspired being. He takes Jesus' quotes from the book of Thomas and writes extensively on them.
Even I, a non-Christian, am highly touched by the word of Jesus from an un-included book in the Holy Bible. (Christians don't know what they're missing.)
Terry Monk
Dec 29, 2013 Terry Monk rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read this, than you are missing out. Raised Catholic with only basic spiritual tools, I needed this leg up. I have since redecorated my spiritual tool box to reflect a more universal understanding, more Mystical, yes Mystical.
Dwende Jumalon
Apr 18, 2014 Dwende Jumalon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure this is a book of spiritual substance needed in my 'journey'. i have read The Shadow of the Bamboo by the same author Bhagwan and it guided me along the way.This one's another provision,i hope, for my trip.
Heather
Dec 20, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. Osho is a very palatable author. His words and insights are very easy to follow as if you are not reading but rather having a conversation with him.
Brenda
I read this when I was a young teen (no memory of how I got it or why) and have been thinking about it a lot lately. Time to read it again I suppose.
Pamela Laurence
Jul 09, 2012 Pamela Laurence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though this is based upon the teachings of Jesus, there are lessons for all - this is not a book on religion. There is a whole universe within.
Michael Sinai
May 25, 2012 Michael Sinai rated it it was amazing
A must read, especially for Eastern religion/philosophy people who have been generally turned off by Christianity.
Darya
Jan 04, 2013 Darya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very very good book, i really recommend this specially to Christian People. The author also known as Osho.
Amy
Jun 17, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Read this book 24 years ago. Thought I'd see how it's changed.
Steve
May 31, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
An important book with spiritual insight by a controversial figure.
Frederico Brígida
love books, loved the smell of this book.
  • Commentaries on Living 1
  • A New Model of the Universe
  • The Mystery of the Grail: Initiation and Magic in the Quest for the Spirit
  • Dictionary of Theories
  • Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing
  • Osho: Living Dangerously: Ordinary Enlightenment for Extraordinary Times (Masters of Wisdom)
  • The Gnostic Jung and the Seven Sermons to the Dead
  • Encyclopedia of Gods: Over 2,500 Deities of the World
  • The Function of the Orgasm (Discovery of the Orgone #1)
  • Seen Reading
  • Fourteen Lessons in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism
  • Biology Of Transcendence
  • The Supreme Identity
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by ...more
More about Osho...

“Jesus said: If the flesh has come into existence because of the spirit, it is a marvel; but if the spirit has come into existence because of the body, it is a marvel of marvels. I think Karl Marx missed this! I wonder what he would have thought if he had come to these saying of Jesus. Jesus says:…flesh has come into existence because of the spirit…as all religions say—God created the world. That means flesh has come out of the spirit, matter has come out of the mind; consciousness is the source, the world is just a byproduct. Then, Jesus says:…it is a marvel—it is a mystery. …but if the spirit has come into existence because of the body…as atheists say, materialists say, Karl Marx, Charvak and others say…. Marx says that consciousness is a byproduct of matter. This is what all atheists say, that the world is not created out of the spirit, but the spirit is just a ‘by-phenomenon’, an epiphenomenon of matter; it comes out of matter, it is just a byproduct. Then Jesus says:…if the spirit has come into existence because of the body, it is a marvel of marvels. The first is just a marvel: that God created the world. But the second is a marvel of marvels—if the world created God. To believe the first is difficult; to believe the second is almost impossible.” 3 likes
“If you break down a seed you will not find the tree there; you can dissect it but you will not find a tree hidden there. And you can say there is no tree and people were just foolish saying that a great tree is hidden in this seed when there is nothing. This is what analysts have always been doing. You tell them that this flower is beautiful; they will take it to the lab and they will dissect it to find where the beauty is. They will come upon chemicals and other things, they will dissect it and analyze it, and they will label different fragments of the flower in many bottles—but there will not be a single bottle in which they will find beauty. No, they will come out of the lab and they will say, “You must have been under some illusion, you were dreaming—there is no beauty. We have dissected the whole flower, nothing has been left, and there is no beauty.” There are things which are known only in their wholeness; you cannot dissect them. They are greater than their parts, this is the problem—a basic problem for those who are in search of truth. Truth is greater than all the parts joined together. It is not just the sum of the parts, it is greater than the parts. A melody is not just the sum of all the notes, of all the sounds. No, it is something greater.” 0 likes