Start by marking “The Mustard Seed” as Want to Read:
The Mustard Seed

The Mustard Seed

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Examining the ancient Gospel of Thomas--a Gnostic text supressed by the early church--Osho paints a portrait of Jesus that is radical and revolutionary, a Jesus who makes demands that run counter to the safe and gentle person of traditonal Christian teaching.
Published July 1st 2004 by Element Books Ltd. (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Mustard Seed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mustard Seed

Arana's Visitor by Julie RollinsVashua's Messenger by Julie RollinsBlackwell's Wrath by Julie RollinsWhen Dreams Die by Julie RollinsThree Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson
Life Changing Books
34th out of 68 books — 52 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutBeyond Bridalveil Fall by Sheryl SealBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealPhenomena by Susan TarrBeyond the World of Man by Sheryl Seal
Inspiring Books
385th out of 397 books — 531 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
The first book of many that I have read of Osho. (Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh when I read it) An absolutely fantastic look into the real meanings of the words of Jesus. Only a Master such as Osho can bring light to the true meanings of many of the parables of the Master that was Jesus. I read this in the summer of 1982 and it changed my life. It took me 9 months to read the first time as Rajneesh completely dismantled my understanding of the world and my belief structure. I would literally shake whil ...more
Harshavardhan Sakate
4th Book by osho after god conspiracy, krishna - the man and his philosophy and The book of woman..... Very nice, helps to get a lot of knowledge.... Increases respect about Jesus.... His teachings are told in the way of osho along with his stories and jokes and great philosophy.... Though he has criticized jesus in many ways, here he has told his teachings.. Recommended to those having interest in jesus, religion and philosophy........!!!
Carolyn
Eye opening and enlightening. My first OSHO read... And I can't tell you how many "aha" and "exactly" moments I had. How many notations I made laboriously in my Kobo. How much I wanted to commit all of these ideas and feelings to memory.

Jesus, as the Ascended Master, the man he is truly. Not manipulated by church or politics. A message clear and untainted.
Luis
He brought a different point a of view in Jesus teachings. He put him as a enlightened person such as Buddha and never denied his existence or teachings.
Sandrine
Probably the best Osho book I've read to date. I'll always treasure it. Always.
Donna Kirk
This book basically changed my life.
Gregory
Outstanding, Joyfilled
Jason Short
I enjoyed reading this book and took a lot of its wisdom to heart. This is my first exposure to the Gnostic scriptures and I am very interested to learn more about them. Osho lays bare religious insights that are hard to swallow and he holds no punches with regards to his teachings about abandoning the ego and materialism in exchange for a new, more awakened self. At points, in my humble opinion, Osho does come across a bit like a rambling lunatic on a downtown corner and he is quite difficult t ...more
Lydia
Great read, no matter what your religious affiliation. He has some great insights and formulas for good living. I did enjoy the controversial nature of the book, too. Lost writings, even hidden texts kept privatized by the Catholic Church in Rome. Very thought-provoking.
Wendy
Beautiful, divine journey into living outside the box.....
Ricardo Acuña
Un libro extraordinario, revelador, paradójico y profundo que recorre las enseñanzas de Jesús desde un punto de vista místico. Es una interpretación profunda de los evangelios, espiritual y metafísica. Recorre muchos temas de vida, muerte, deseo, culpa, tiempo pasado y futuro, conciencia y muchos más. Reflexiones muy profundas y reveladoras sobre las parábolas de los evangelios, que nos transforman si las recibimos con una atención y disposición abierta. Para mí, el mejor de los libros de Osho.

"
Dan Pfeiffer
This is a challenging book in some passages because it asserts a non-Western/organized religion view of Jesus by way of discussing the meaning of 21 of His sayings. And while I do not agree entirely with some of the assertations I do enjoy any work that challenges orthodoxy. By providing a Hindu spiritualist viewpoint the author achieves a deeper philosophical and comforting understanding of the message.
Divakar
one of the best book.. I have ever read...for me it took some time to understand the things that are conveyed in the book...It was a truly a spiritual awakening experience....Osho gave a clear insight of Christ messages...Very good book..
Terry
Subtitled "A living explanation of the sayings of Jesus from the Gospel According to Thomas," this book is based on the Dead Sea scrolls. Rajneesh starts each of his twenty discourses with a quote from this gospel. He does a very good job of explaining what Christ meant by his sayings, why he said it, and how the text can be used to build our lives today. Rajneesh maintains that Christ is the eternal seed within everyone's heart, and that increased awareness will bring out what Jesus and Buddha ...more
Deborah J.
For those who are curious about e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g Jesus has ever said….

Osho, despite his personal reputation, is a brilliant, and inspired being. He takes Jesus' quotes from the book of Thomas and writes extensively on them.
Even I, a non-Christian, am highly touched by the word of Jesus from an un-included book in the Holy Bible. (Christians don't know what they're missing.)
Terry Monk
If you haven't read this, than you are missing out. Raised Catholic with only basic spiritual tools, I needed this leg up. I have since redecorated my spiritual tool box to reflect a more universal understanding, more Mystical, yes Mystical.
Heather
This is a great book. Osho is a very palatable author. His words and insights are very easy to follow as if you are not reading but rather having a conversation with him.
Michael Sinai
A must read, especially for Eastern religion/philosophy people who have been generally turned off by Christianity.
Amy
Read this book 24 years ago. Thought I'd see how it's changed.
Steve
An important book with spiritual insight by a controversial figure.
Frederico Brígida
love books, loved the smell of this book.
Sudha Hamilton
Great insightful book by a master.
Eneida
Dec 01, 2010 Eneida added it
Read it in Portuguese.
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Edvard Green
Edvard Green marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Moritz Von
Moritz Von marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Mercury McCutcheon
Mercury McCutcheon marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Diana Luque
Diana Luque is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2015
  • The Art of Being and Becoming
  • Biology Of Transcendence
  • Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing
  • The Mystery of the Grail: Initiation and Magic in the Quest for the Spirit
  • Le Mystère des Cathédrales
  • The Chakras
  • Harbinger (The Bleeding Worlds, #1)
  • Beauty in Decay: The Art of Urban Exploration
  • Seen Reading
  • The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
  • Messages from Michael
  • A New Model of the Universe
  • Fine Art Wedding Photography: How to Capture Images with Style for the Modern Bride
  • Studies in Occultism
  • Progressive Witchcraft: Spirituality, Mysteries, and Training in Modern Wicca
  • Spirited: Connect to the Guides All Around You
  • The Spectrum of Consciousness
  • The Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft: Shadows, Spirits and the Healing Journey (Temple of Witchcraft, #3)
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by ...more
More about Osho...
Courage: The Joy of Living Dangerously Love, Freedom, and Aloneness: The Koan of Relationships The Book of Secrets (Vigyan Bhairav Tantra ) Creativity: Unleashing the Forces Within Freedom: The Courage to Be Yourself

“Jesus said: If the flesh has come into existence because of the spirit, it is a marvel; but if the spirit has come into existence because of the body, it is a marvel of marvels. I think Karl Marx missed this! I wonder what he would have thought if he had come to these saying of Jesus. Jesus says:…flesh has come into existence because of the spirit…as all religions say—God created the world. That means flesh has come out of the spirit, matter has come out of the mind; consciousness is the source, the world is just a byproduct. Then, Jesus says:…it is a marvel—it is a mystery. …but if the spirit has come into existence because of the body…as atheists say, materialists say, Karl Marx, Charvak and others say…. Marx says that consciousness is a byproduct of matter. This is what all atheists say, that the world is not created out of the spirit, but the spirit is just a ‘by-phenomenon’, an epiphenomenon of matter; it comes out of matter, it is just a byproduct. Then Jesus says:…if the spirit has come into existence because of the body, it is a marvel of marvels. The first is just a marvel: that God created the world. But the second is a marvel of marvels—if the world created God. To believe the first is difficult; to believe the second is almost impossible.” 3 likes