Start by marking “The Mark of the Cat (Outer Regions #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mark of the Cat (Outer Regions #1)

The Mark of the Cat (Outer Regions #1)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
In the five queendoms, the kotti is a sacred animal, believed to possess magical powers. To young Hynkkel, the kotti Mieu is his treasured companion, his friend, his kin...until she is cruelly taken from him in a drunken rage by his violent brother, leaving Hynkkel's heart as barren as the deserts of his homeland.

Commanded by his father to Solo--to travel into the unknown
Published 1992 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about The Mark of the Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark of the Cat

Aelvana
Hynkkel is no warrior, though he comes from a House of warriors---to the eternal disappointment of his father. So while his strong and skilled brother gains all the honor, Hynkkel is little better than a servant. When his father finally allows him to solo (a wilderness survival test that bestows the status of an adult), he encounters some of his world's largest predators, the sand cats. But rather than perish beneath their claws, he strikes up a friendship . . .

This is an interesting bit of worl
Valerie
I really don't care for the world this story is set in. It's harsh, basically not fit for human habitation, and the humans make it worse, generally, by their determined cruelty.

That said, there are interesting elements, like the algae pools, and the artistic traditions. The story focuses on what amounts to an initation ordeal, which seems to be a compilation of adulthood ordeals, worked together into a shamanic quest.

The monstra ex machina in this book are the 'rats'. It might be interesting som
Roxanne
Fran Santiago
Very good reading...very different from what I normally read, but worth trying :) The author just writes with such depth of emotions/actions....You can actually visualize every detail with clarity :)
Kay Gardner
Apr 01, 2016 Kay Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked this book a lot. i synced to the writing style nicely, and enjoyed the details of the world and inhabitants. there's a sequel i'll have to read (the year of the rat).
Linda Karchmar (Cameron)
Awesome book - I loved it! I would love to see a sequel to this book!
Nataliia Koliadenko
Very touching story. Recommend it to fantasy lovers.
Gail Morris
Oct 25, 2015 Gail Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought that this book was going to bury me in details and end in a cliff-hanger and I would have to find the next book... but it quickly got down to the action of things and the adventure took off for the main character and his companion. They fought huge rats and crossed hot dry deserts and then Hynnkel is chosen to compete for the crown of Emperor along with 4 others from different queendoms... and then it really gets interesting.
Kristeen
Nov 24, 2009 Kristeen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I once had the tarot deck upon which this book is based so it was a great surprise to discover that. I just picked up the book because Andre Norton is such a reliably good author. Now I have to find Year of the Rat.
Joe Murphy
This ended up being a rather excellent book although initially the strange language and telling method were hard to get into. Once the story got moving it was an easy read.
Karly Maddison
Jun 28, 2012 Karly Maddison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Andre Norton growing up. This is probably the last book of hers that I read, though I went through many. She's the reason why I started to love sci-fi/fantasy to begin with.
Sensitivemuse
Sensitivemuse marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
Tamra Dougherty
Tamra Dougherty marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Alan
Alan added it
Apr 24, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Kathy
Kathy added it
Mar 14, 2016
Colin Vollebergh
Colin Vollebergh marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Lj
Lj added it
Mar 16, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Mar 03, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Linda
Linda added it
Feb 07, 2016
Aaron Meyer
Aaron Meyer marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Melissa Melo
Melissa Melo rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Berardo Ioannoni
Berardo Ioannoni marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Margo Tucker
Margo Tucker rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Sharon Holloway
Sharon Holloway marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
  • The Unforsaken Hiero  (Hiero, #2)
  • Mountain Magic
  • Moon-Flash (Kyreol, #1-2)
  • The Alchemist's Pursuit (The Alchemist, #3)
  • Overkill (Orphan's legacy, #1)
  • The Dreamstone (Arafel, #1)
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • Needle (Needle, #1)
  • The Golden Naginata (Tomoe Gozen, #2)
  • The Dark Abyss (Philip José Farmer's The Dungeon, #2)
  • Threads of Malice  (Dubric Bryerly, #2)
  • The Earth Book of Stormgate
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)
  • Godspeed
  • The History of the Runestaff
  • Police Your Planet
  • Sisters in Fantasy 2
  • A Trace of Memory
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...