The Mark of the Cat (Outer Regions #1)

The Mark of the Cat (Outer Regions #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In the five queendoms, the kotti is a sacred animal, believed to possess magical powers. To young Hynkkel, the kotti Mieu is his treasured companion, his friend, his kin...until she is cruelly taken from him in a drunken rage by his violent brother, leaving Hynkkel's heart as barren as the deserts of his homeland.

Commanded by his father to Solo--to travel into the unknown...more
Published 1992 by Ace

Valerie
I really don't care for the world this story is set in. It's harsh, basically not fit for human habitation, and the humans make it worse, generally, by their determined cruelty.

That said, there are interesting elements, like the algae pools, and the artistic traditions. The story focuses on what amounts to an initation ordeal, which seems to be a compilation of adulthood ordeals, worked together into a shamanic quest.

The monstra ex machina in this book are the 'rats'. It might be interesting som...more
Roxanne
Fran Santiago
Very good reading...very different from what I normally read, but worth trying :) The author just writes with such depth of emotions/actions....You can actually visualize every detail with clarity :)
Kristeen
I once had the tarot deck upon which this book is based so it was a great surprise to discover that. I just picked up the book because Andre Norton is such a reliably good author. Now I have to find Year of the Rat.
Joe Murphy
This ended up being a rather excellent book although initially the strange language and telling method were hard to get into. Once the story got moving it was an easy read.
Karly Maddison
Loved Andre Norton growing up. This is probably the last book of hers that I read, though I went through many. She's the reason why I started to love sci-fi/fantasy to begin with.
Susan Mcvay honious
Susan Mcvay honious marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Theresa Murray
Theresa Murray marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Dennis Wit
Dennis Wit marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Sstump
Sstump added it
Feb 26, 2014
Madgastronomer
Madgastronomer is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Feb 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male"...more
More about Andre Norton...
The Elvenbane (Halfblood Chronicles, #1) Elvenblood (Halfblood Chronicles, #2) Elvenborn (Halfblood Chronicles, #3) Witch World (Witch World Series 1: Estcarp Cycle, #1) The Time Traders (Time Traders/ Ross Murdock, #1)