Lonely Planet New Zealand (14th edition September 2008)

Lonely Planet New Zealand (Lonely Planet Travel Survival Kit)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  290 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Includes contributions by food expert Lauraine Jacobs, historian James Belich, Maori publisher John Huria and musician Gareth Shute. Contains loads of information on New Zealand's thriving organic establishments and Maori community-based tourism operators. Expanded chapters on Outdoor Activities & Maori Culture. Inspirational interviews with local experts.
Paperback, Lonely Planet, 756 pages
Published September 2008 (first published 1977)

Maria Khalid
I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend Lonely Planet guides when traveling. I have only ever bought this one for when I went to New Zealand (and there may even be a newer version of it out now), but I found it extremely helpful. When I went to New Zealand, I bought two guidebooks. This one, and the Eyewitness guide. I could see that this one had a lot of information, but the Eyewitness guide had a ton of pretty pictures... haha. At first I only used the Eyewitness, but then when I picked up Lonely Planet, I...more
Eastofoz
A good guide especially in terms of what to see. Lots of detail and the general info is very well-done as well as interesting to read. It could have had more info on hotels and restaurants though. It's ideal for backpackers or people traveling on a small budget.
Sara
Guys, I'm sorry, but I'm over LP. Too complex, too much info, too many Americans in one place. Plus, I'm not hip enough/don't wear enough black to be a part of their eating and drinking guides. Use something different. Highly suggest the Footprints guides!
Nethy
I'll start by saying the this is a lonely planet and therefore pretty good. The format of listing eating/sleeping/activities for every destination along with prices and direction is a killer formula. You'll almost certainly end up doing things, eating and sleeping in better places and at better prices with this book than without out it. That said, and keeping this in mind that I usually really like LP, I have a mostly negative review.

1. For many places in the world, lonely planet is written wit...more
Debra
used a lonely planet from 10 years ago but still worked out famously despite the differences in prices.. harsh! one thing not in the lonely planet is hurling yourself down a river at Milford Sound on a Firestone innertube with 3 other morons, almost drowning due to the heroic efforts of the boyfriend crushing then trying to 'save' me.. but his good effort was rewarded because i was the person flung the fartherest from the raft (something about being the smallest on a innertube with 3 grown men-...more
Melissa
[2011.11.30] Used 2010 15th Edition to plan the New Zealand portion of our Nov-Dec 2011 trip (approx 11 days). We rented a car and drove north to south, starting in Auckland, down to Wellington, crossing on the ferry from the North to South Island, continuing onward to Fox & Franz Josef Glaciers, and ending in Christchurch (stopping at various points along the way). The book combined with Google maps and a Rough Guide map were our main resources.
Myridian
This book was incredibly useful during our trip. While the information on culture was good, thr relatively few glossy pictures made it something I didn't pick up as much. Once we arrived though, a day didn't go by that I didn't consult this book. It never lead us astray either. Particularly on the south island the book was great. There the towns were small enough that the reviews were pretty exhaustive and always useful.
Tj
May 16, 2008 Tj rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone going to New Zealand
Shelves: informative
I was in New Zealand for 6 months, and this book covered almost every town I visited. As a backpacker I really didn't need to know about 5 star hotels, but I found some amazing places to eat, places to visit, and places to stay. And only a few of them disappointed.

Just remember it's only a book and you will learn a lot just talking to other travelers as you go and exploring on your own.
Jules
Great companion to my 5.5 weeks in New Zealand.
Melissa
[2011.11.30] Used 2010 1st Edition to brainstorm the New Zealand portion of our Nov-Dec 2011 trip. Great for the photographs and overviews (and some detail). Good for pre-trip planning but too hefty to actually bring on a trip (printed on thick paper in full color).
Caitlin
Not a very insightful guidebook. Mostly it lists a few sights, accommodations, and eateries in each town. To really be useful, it would need to be more detailed for each region and actually give recommendations of what places are worth while.
Krista
(I liked this edition much better than the previous edition I had from the library. Very helpful for planning, with Internet supplementation; still to be tested in real-trip mode.)
my first lonely planet-- when i was studying abroad and bought a car with a friend it was invaluable. still, there is no substitution for "discovering" places by oneself.
Alex
Well I probably being bias here but I found this the best book out of all the lonely planet books that I have used. I used this a lot while travelling and working in NZ.
Heather
I bought this book for my husband for our one year "paper" anniversary. We are planning a trip to NZ and this book provides a lot of great information!
Excellent book which can be extremely useful as a trip planner specially when is the first trip to this fabulous country.
Alicia
Jan 19, 2008 Alicia is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
God bless Dip. Look how adorable he is: http://youtube.com/watch?v=ckVsvRCra8I
Sanne
travel essential, LP is a must
Texas
very informative and well structured
Hilary
That's right... New Zealand. Woohoo!!
Wilco
Wilco marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tommo
Tommo added it
Jul 20, 2014
Wahyu
Wahyu marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
  • National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States
  • The Last Grain Race
  • The Thomas Sowell Reader
  • New York
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth: A Rough Guide to the World: 1000 Ultimate Travel Experiences (Rough Guides Reference Titles)
  • Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die
Australia Lonely Planet New Zealand's South Island Lonely Planet Toronto: City Guide Lonely Planet Central Australia: Adelaide to Darwin Lonely Planet Best of Singapore