Start by marking “Name That Dog” as Want to Read:
Name That Dog

Name That Dog

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Got a new puppy and need to find the perfect name? In twenty-six poems, told from A to Z, meet dogs of every type and personality imaginable. Does the puppy love to nap in the flowers? Name her Daisy! Maybe the puppy slips his collar. He?s Houdini! And don?t forget Melody, a dog who howls and croons to any kind of music. For pet owners and dog lovers alike, this funny, rhy ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Dial Books

Christine
Jul 08, 2011 Christine rated it really liked it
You don't have to be a dog lover to appreciate the pups and their monikers in this fun book of poems about, what else, perfect names for you favorite K-9. Snickers would have to be my favorite.
Donalyn
These 26 poems--spanning dog names from A to Z--celebrate the appearance, personalities, and talents of 26 different dogs.
Neha Amin
Mar 29, 2014 Neha Amin rated it really liked it
Review: This a very enjoyable and entertaining poetry collection. The poems are from A-Z. The poems are about different dogs. There is one poem per page and it also features a picture of the particular dog. The names of the kind of dog is even written on the bottom. That helps a lot since I am unfamiliar with dog types.

Chosen Poem: Elvis( The poem is about a Cocker Spaniel.)

He wiggles and jiggles
and dances around.
He swings to the music
with a rock'n' roll sound.
His ears look like sideburns.
His f
Shala Howell
What the Five-Year-Old thought: "It was naming dogs. It was so very very very good."
Suz
Dec 22, 2012 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Students love trying to guess what each dog's name will be and the reason why.
Melissa
There are so many names you can give a dog. In this story, the author creates a name and a personality for 26 different dogs. Each dogs name begins with a different letter of the alphabet and their personality and characteristics also begin with that same letter.
Jaime Barrera
Feb 24, 2016 Jaime Barrera rated it it was amazing
A great and fun read. I love how every poem is tied to the characteristics of dogs. Every poem reminded me of a dog I've known. This is a good read aloud and a great way to have students get into poetry writing.
Tami
May 08, 2016 Tami rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Poems about dogs - names given depending on their personality or things they do.

Writing: Students can write a poem about a pet or animal and give a name to the animal.
Heather Hawes
Mar 08, 2015 Heather Hawes rated it it was amazing
A great way to review the alphabet and assist young readers in learning about some adorable pups! I know many young children who would be interested in this book of poems!
Sarah Lane
Jul 27, 2014 Sarah Lane rated it liked it
This poetry book includes a poem for different dogs with names A-Z. Each poem is based on that dogs' silly characteristics. Children would love the repeating and rhyming.
Ashley Enlow
Mar 06, 2015 Ashley Enlow rated it it was amazing
This book of dog poems from A-Z spoke to my puppy loving heart! I think this book would be a good example of a special poem for when one of my students get a new puppy!
Brianna
May 07, 2016 Brianna rated it really liked it
A cute, attractive book with alphabetical names and tongue rhyming poetry displaying the reason for each name as well as giving the breed of each.
Alice
Jun 30, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Trying to get the kids this summer to write poems. This is a perfect example! Fun rhymes and about dogs. Can't beat that! Cute pictures, nice poems!
Karen Arendt
Jun 24, 2011 Karen Arendt rated it it was amazing
An adorable collection of rhyming poems about dogs. The poems are presented in alphabetical order by the pet names given to dogs. The breed name is noted at the bottom of each poem. This would be a great book to introduce poetry or dogs. It would also be a great way to introduce research about dog breeds. Students could select a dog breed, find 3-5 facts about the dog, then choose a name for their breed.
Heidi
A good ABC book if the child loves dogs. Some of the poems were fun and seemed to speak the dogs' personalities. A couple didn't get to me. And some were interesting poetry forms that still worked well. The illustrations fit the poems. And I wouldn't mind meeting some of those dogs.

For a good variety of poetry and with subjects (dogs and names and ABC) familiar to children, I can see why this is a nominee.
Laura Madsen
Sep 22, 2011 Laura Madsen rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
An A-to-Z collection of poems, each describing a particular dog and its name. It's a neat concept, and some of the poems are quite cute, like "Noodles" the poodle:

All over my puppy
are oodles and oodles
of swirls of fat curls that
remind me of noodles.

However the illustrations are of a disturbingly freaky nature. The Boston terrier looks like an abused gremlin and the Chihuahua looks like a rabid bat.
Bethe
Apr 02, 2012 Bethe rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-poetry
I found the "dog name A-Z" for each poem a bit gimmicky - some of the poems were awkward in the rhythm and rhyme schemes and seemed forced. Some of the poems were just fine like "Chewy". The illustrations were strange and didn't look like the breed listed at the bottom of the page (doberman pinscher and beagle), although I did appreciate the nod to some lesser known breeds.
Marcie
Jul 22, 2010 Marcie rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Easy to read poems. One page for each breed with a name from Aspen (Lab- incidentally the most common pet in the USA to Zipper (Dutch Smoushond- I never heard of it either). My favorite is Melody (the melodious Basset Hound). Although the writing is not pitch perfect, kids will enjoy finding and reading their pets and may get some ideas for names.
Jennifer Lavoie
A fun book of rhymes for dog names that also gives breeds. I thought it would be a fun activity to do with my second graders - have them make a poem about their pet. A fun way to teach poetry. And for the younger students its a silly book. I like that not all common breeds are used and some unusual breeds are. Makes it more interesting.
Carrie
Nov 06, 2012 Carrie added it
These poems were all pretty funny. There is every dog imaginable in every poem and they all were named depending on their personalities. There was a dog who loved to sleep in the flowers so they named her Daisy. I thought it was a creative way to express different dog types. Children would definitely have fun listening and reading these!
Amy Carr
Apr 22, 2011 Amy Carr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-poetry
I've always personally felt like many dogs resembled their owners or had a very distinct personality that is manifested in their physical appearance...this books proves my theories absolutely correct. Extremely delightful book of children's poetry about dogs...in all their variety and glory!
Riley
Apr 14, 2011 Riley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
"Name That Dog" is just a poetry book about dogs names A to Z. I guess if your looking for a dog name you could read the poems and see what name fits your dog. If your looking for a short poetry book this is the one and it's not stupid just because it's about dogs names.
Kim Miller
Nov 29, 2013 Kim Miller rated it really liked it
I Love that all of these poems are centered around dogs. Each poem is about a different breed. I used a poem from this text for my phonics "ing" lesson.
Erin
Sep 07, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
A pleasant diversion of collected poems about different breeds of dogs. Dog lovers and poets will enjoy equally.
Melanie
Jul 23, 2013 Melanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
We enjoyed reading this A to Z poetry book about dog names.
Sharie
Jan 13, 2016 Sharie rated it it was amazing
Poetry!
A to Z!
Creative!
Rylee Harrison
Rylee Harrison rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Kylee
Kylee rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Shea
Shea rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
Tori
Tori rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I grew up in Gary, Indiana with one sister and two brothers. I liked to ride my bike, and play games with my older brother and the other kids who lived on our street. I also liked going to the beach on Lake Michigan in the summer, and ice skating in the winter. I liked reading all year long.

After high school, I went to nursing school and became a registered nurse. My first nursing job was as a Pe
More about Peggy Archer...