Start by marking “Unparalleled Sorrow: Finding My Way Back From Depression” as Want to Read:
Unparalleled Sorrow: Finding My Way Back From Depression

Unparalleled Sorrow: Finding My Way Back From Depression

In early 2008, Barry Dickins—an artist and author—suffered from insomnia. He went to the doctor, who cited clinical and severe depression as the cause. He checked in to a clinic and was told that he would be there until the joy returned to him. But the joy eluded Barry for months, and so for months he stayed alongside patients with schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, and oth ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Hardie Grant Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Unparalleled Sorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unparalleled Sorrow

Steve Dow
Feb 07, 2012 Steve Dow rated it really liked it
Sometimes you want to reach between the lines and shake Mr Dickins from his depressed torpor. If you've ever known anyone in your life who has succumbed to this hideous disease - especially if they've been convinced to partake of some of its more odious treatments such as electro-convulsive therapy - you will relate. Barry also writes beautiful sentences; you'll just need to make allowances for his tendency to spin a line or several of Hunter S. Thompson-style exaggeration.

Here's my 2009 intervi
Tony Adams
Jun 08, 2013 Tony Adams rated it really liked it
Very hard to read...as someone going through it now, Bazza's words are especially poignant. They touch me deeply in a way that only those who know the condition can understand. Incredibly moving.

I've long admired Barry Dickens' work and love his style. This book fits perfectly - its open, raw, moving, real...it just fits. I love it.
Initially NO
A memoir about the abuses of psychiatry with illustrations, by a Melbourne public figure (author, comic and visual artist). Much validation in this book for psychiatric survivors who have been forcefully injected with noxious chemicals and electrocuted. Dickins didn't find either helped, rather severely hindered his health, and haltered his ability to earn a living by his arts, as psychiatrists ridiculed his life. An engaging read, with the ‘unparalleled sorrow’ referring to his mother’s sufferi ...more
S'hi
Jan 23, 2012 S'hi rated it liked it
Barry Dickins’ “Unparalleled Sorrow” presents some interesting insights to how we navigate life. He is appreciated by many for his wit and diversionary tactics, but when he can no longer run away, within nor from himself, he finds himself in ‘clinical depression’. In a sense he is bullied back to outward signs of conformity to life, but is he in any better touch with himself?

Barry considers that he knows himself through his writing and drawing. Much of both of these activities have not been abou
Oli Aloha
Apr 14, 2011 Oli Aloha rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. It's beautifully written, sad yet hopeful and wonderfully honest. The subject matter is difficult. Depression, forced ECT and losing so much later in life couldn't have been easy but the writer takes us on a journey through his past, his treatment and recovery to record what is a remarkable achievement in understanding the human condition.
Karen
Oct 28, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
This book follows Barry Dickins road through depression and his road out of it
Renee
Renee is currently reading it
Sep 07, 2016
Suezanne Martin
Suezanne Martin is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2015
Laylee
Laylee marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Tegan
Tegan rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
Evelyn Avendula
Evelyn Avendula marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
S.G. Velez
S.G. Velez marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Asween
Asween marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Denis Anton
Denis Anton rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Michelle Hamer
Michelle Hamer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Sean Oakes
Sean Oakes rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
David
David rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Silvia Brown
Silvia Brown marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2012
Di
Di rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2012
Kaye
Kaye is currently reading it
May 04, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2011
Vireya
Vireya rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2011
Brooke
Brooke rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2010