Start by marking “The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1

The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1 (The Losers Omnibus #1)

With the eagerly anticipated Warner Bros. Pictures movie The Losers set to reach theaters in April 2010, DC Comics collects the first twelve issues of THE LOSERS -- from the ANTE UP and DOUBLE DOWN TPs -- into a single, explosive volume!

This collection introduces The Losers, formerly an elite U.S. Special Forces unit that served as the covert bloody hand of America until
Published February 2nd 2010 by Vertigo (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Losers Omnibus, Vol. 1

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
238th out of 827 books — 1,590 voters
Preacher, Book 1 by Garth EnnisRat Queens, Vol. 1 by Kurtis J. WiebeLazarus, Vol. 1 by Greg RuckaColder, Volume 1 by Paul TobinVelvet, Volume 1 by Ed Brubaker
Where to start with Graphic Novels
94th out of 109 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Apr 10, 2013 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, heist
A heist comic that sets itself apart by making the target the American government, or at least a shadowy faction that works within it. Our heroes are former CIA, seemingly killed in action by their own handler after discovering the wrong secret. After years in hiding, they've gone on the offensive, working to take down the handler that betrayed them.

When you get right down to it, The Losers is a heist series. For something like this, I need plans that I can believe, daringly executed. And luckil
Gavin
Aug 05, 2013 Gavin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Well now this was a refreshing slap in the face. Great characters, impressive art, a politically charged storyline not very far removed from our own reality. This all comes together in this Volume 1. The kinetic nature of the action is well captured, but it's not just senseless violence, there's usually a goal in mind, and even then it tells a story.
Reading the introduction, this book was a kind of love letter to Shane Black movies, and it makes perfect sense...however this might even be more en
Jessica-Robyn
Jul 11, 2014 Jessica-Robyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of action movies and high stakes heists
Crime is probably one of my favourite genres, if only because it takes a great amount of talent to get it right. I had very high expectations of The Losers, from all the good things I've heard I was pretty sure it wouldn't be nearly what I imagined it might be. However am I happy with what I got!

Before I can even talk about the story, let us talk about the art. It captures the tone and severity of the characters so perfectly that if it was a single shade darker or lighter it wouldn't have worke
Callie Rose Tyler
Sep 04, 2012 Callie Rose Tyler rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This action packed story about a group of soldiers going rogue to uncover a corrupt government is not the type of stuff that I usually read. However, I always appreciate cleverness, and the The Losers operate with style. They execute plans with Ocean's 11 type precision and that will always entertain me. I've never seen the movie so I'm not sure how they compare but the character developement is lacking with some of the players such as Clay, the leader. Others leave something to be desired, such ...more
Jean-christophe Boudreau
May 21, 2014 Jean-christophe Boudreau rated it really liked it
Now Losers is a pretty great action packed comic series, it follows a group of ex-Special Forces who everyone thinks is dead but is really in hiding and trying to get revenge on Max who tried to kill them. Its a series full of many different things such as plot twists which when I read it I wasn't expecting to happen as well as plenty of action and interesting interaction between the main group of characters. The art style was pretty unique and is not one that I have really seen in other comics ...more
Jim
Yup. The book is better than the movie.

The movie wasn't terrible; but it wasn't great, either.

The book it was based on, however, is pretty enjoyable.

I was able to pick it up at the library, but unfortunately, they don't have the sequel; and this 300-page omnibus was interesting enough to make me want to continue the story.
Wendy
Feb 26, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
I'm madly in love with the movie, The Losers, and have watched it many, many times. There's something about a good buddy soldier film that just gets me.

Unfortunately, the graphic novel was a bit disappointing, at least initially. It was rather skeletal in terms of the plot and characters and their relationships and motivations. I commend the movie makers for expanding on this so well.

Okay, well the movie's plotline with Max was a bit over the top, but I'll forgive it for that because of everyth
Elysia
Jul 27, 2013 Elysia rated it liked it
So, I really, really love The Losers movie (and not merely because of Chris Evans). I also somehow ended up really, really invested in my Losers ship of choice. Consequently, reading the comics seemed like a logical choice, especially when looking for a good break from the torturous exercise in marathon reading that is A Song of Ice and Fire.

While there are some significant differences between the comic and the film adaptation, this omnibus covers a lot of familiar territory. Having watched the
Mark
Jul 10, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it
The first two books in this series were definitely a fun and exciting read. Andy Diggle certainly took the name of the classic DC war heroes The Losers and gave it a fresh twist, although at times it felt like a number of other properties.

However, since I'm reading the trade long after the issues came out, I'm quite sure that he was one of the first writers to tread this area in comics.

The art by Jock is what really sets this book apart though, his crisp and clean lines, with the inking in subtl
Mary
Nov 03, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Darian
Jul 26, 2016 Darian rated it really liked it

I'm inclined to think that THE LOSERS is--like what Alan Moore said of WATCHMEN--strictly speaking, unfilmable. It's just too violent, too big, and the way some of the panels just segue into each other sometimes...

Diggle's dialogue is a bit cheesy and unbelievable at times, but this IS a comic book after all. So we can forgive him. Besides, he's got all the other areas covered: distinguishable characters, real-world relevance, great action, etc. And Jock is the comics equivalent of a master cine
Hobbes
Jan 21, 2012 Hobbes rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed reading this graphic novel. I admit I only picked it up because I loved the movie and was curious. The book does not setup a specific back story the way the movie does. Just that they saw something they were not suppose to and were put on a death list, which they survived. Now they are trying to track down Max who put them on the list, but they have no idea who he is or how to get to him. There is a lot more going on in the book than in the movie, but several bits are taken ...more
J.
Mar 18, 2012 J. rated it liked it
A crazy, over-the-top heist caper, with obvious similarities to the A-Team, with mountains of action, conspiracies, and twists. This is like the summer blockbuster of comic books; it's loud, brash, and fun, but also seems sort of hollow. The pacing is a little strange because we get essentially a 6-issue heist with no character development, then 2 issues with no action and all character development, then a 4-issue heist with no development again. So Diggle doesn't manage to merge the two at all. ...more
ElenaSquareEyes
May 28, 2016 ElenaSquareEyes rated it it was amazing
I loved the film The Losers and had high hopes for its source material and it as everything I wanted and more and I honestly think that The Losers is one of the most faithful book-to-film adaptations I’ve seen.

The Losers are a team of ex-CIA operatives who are trying to figure out who framed them and bring them to justice. Book One pretty much follows the events of the film (with more details and backstory obviously) while Book Two is completely new for someone like me who’d seen the film. The L
aaron
May 23, 2010 aaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
i really, really liked this graphic novel! the losers are a group of special ops agents who were framed and presumed dead in afghanistan. they go on a mission of revenge in order to find the c.i.a. spook who goes by the name of max. in order to do this they bring on a new member by the name of aisha...and she is vicious! this is a great revenge/conspiracy theory story that is beautifully illustrated by jock. the noir and heavy shadows lend themselves wonderfully to this great story!
Miss Kate Reads
This is a bloody good read - violent, compelling, funny, and fast paced. Told from different perspectives, it's quite interesting seeing the story play out from different eyes.

I put this in my "made a serious impact" shelf because of the quotes that the beginning of the some of the "chapters" (for lack of a better word at the moment). There are some really interesting and vaguely terrifying quotes here.
Natlyn
Jul 01, 2010 Natlyn rated it liked it
I was disappointed that the comic lacked the character interactions of the movie. While the underlying story is the same, the emphasis is different. This first volume (or rather first two volumes) is too guns and 'splodey things and not enough getting to know the characters. Perhaps that would be rectified in the following three volumes, but volume five is currently out of print, so I don't think I'll bother with three and four.
Mark
Jun 09, 2010 Mark rated it liked it
The art looks more like movie storyboards than comic book art and the language is the typical R-rated banter from your standard action film... which makes it unsurprising that this series was turned into a film earlier this year.

While I'm not crazy about the art (or most of the "homage to Shane Black, Screenwriter" dialogue), there's a very solid caper/good guys gone rogue storyline with some nifty plot twists.

Note: the violence is occasionally graphic.
Riju Ganguly
Mar 31, 2015 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing
Andy Diggle is one of the finest storytellers in business right now. How good is he? Well, he is SO good that even some truly inept filmmaking (Hollywood style) has failed to reduce the charm of this series that he had envisioned. And the artwork accompanying the story is literally outstanding (it forces one to imagine everything, including the backstory, about a character after you have seen him or her across a few frames). Truly superlative stuff that you ought to read. Highly Recommended.
Dan
May 08, 2014 Dan rated it liked it
The whole paranoia crime/spy thing seems kinda tired to me. I kind of lost interest in the beginning of this, and it became hard to try and keep track of who were "the good guys" and who "were the bad guys". I mean I understood that the main plot was that the scumbag corporation controls the government, and these guys wanted to stop it. I thought this was an average read.
Sophie
Oct 11, 2010 Sophie rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Up until the 7th issue, this would've only gotten three stars, although it would have been somewhat unfair: since I saw the movie before reading the book, the first six issues where a bit boring and felt like they dragged on forever. But once I got into unknown territory, it got good again. Secret agents and special forces and conspiracies? Fun and compelling reading.
Sheila
Apr 19, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
I think my rating would have been higher if I hadn't seen the movie first. Even though they are somewhat different, the fact that I already knew about what was going to happen made the novel a bit boring. I like the idea though--secrets, lies, a whole lot of blood&guts&guns--and am excited to read book two.
Amanda
Aug 31, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Another comic where the movie is better than the novel in my opinion. It was too jumbled to understand some parts. Perhaps I am not a full comic person. But I like other comics, this one just left me feeling not interested.
Steve
Jul 26, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Liked the movie too. In my opinion this is not Andy Diggle's best work. For that you need to look at Adam Strange: Planet Heist. But definitely not a disappointing read. Interesting how the artist Jock seems to have a lot of guns pointed at your face. Unnerving but effective.
James
May 30, 2012 James rated it liked it
This was kind of a weird story to read. The present day time in the book gave it a eerie feeling. What if all of that was going on right now. We would know nothing about it. I just found the book a little to close to reality in some parts.
Jain
Didn't really engage me. Also, Aisha's inability to use contractions got on my nerves. (Writers! I promise, it's possible to convey that a character has a different cultural and linguistic background even if you don't make him or her talk like a robot!)
Bri
Apr 10, 2012 Bri rated it really liked it
After falling in love with the movie, I had to check out the series. Definitely just as in love with the series. I love the characters. Never found myself bored while reading it.

Now I'm just trying to convince the library to buy Book Two...
Deborah S
Jan 11, 2016 Deborah S rated it it was amazing
There are few books now that really make me want to read them. Even less with comics. I'd seen the movie yet nothing could prepare me for how much more depth there was within the comics. If you liked the movie - you'll love the comics even more.
Mike Jensen
May 12, 2010 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
This collection features most of the stories used to plot THE LOSERS film (2010). It is well plotted and fun, but the art occasionally makes it difficult to follow the story or identify characters. The film is better, which is interesting to those of us who study adaptation.
Adam
Jan 08, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this comic. I picked it up after watching and loving the film - Jock's art really lends well to this type of storytelling. The plot is good, though feels a little disjointed at first as it pretty much hits the ground running part way through the story.
Bibliophiles of L...: August - Losers Omnibus Vol. 1 2 2 Jul 29, 2015 07:56PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #17 The Losers by Andy Diggle 1 1 Feb 03, 2014 10:37PM
  • Area 10
  • Courtney Crumrin: The Final Spell (Courtney Crumrin, #6)
  • Gotham City Sirens, Volume 2: Songs of the Sirens
  • Hit Girl #2
  • Young Liars, Vol. 1: Daydream Believer
  • Nightwing: On the Razor's Edge (Nightwing Vol. II, #7)
  • Countdown to Infinite Crisis
  • The Unwritten, Volume 5: On to Genesis
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 2: Crossroads
  • Luna Park
  • S.H.I.E.L.D.: Architects of Forever
Andy Diggle is a British comic book writer and former editor of 2000 AD. He is best known for his work on The Losers,Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Adam Strange and Silent Dragon at DC Comics and for his run on Thunderbolts and Daredevil after his move to Marvel.

In 2013 Diggle left writing DC's Action Comics and began working with Dynamite Entertainment, writing a paranormal crime series Uncanny. He is
More about Andy Diggle...

“I'm warning you, I am a lethal killing machine. It was a secret government experiment. They did stuff to me. Spooky stuff... Anal stuff. It turned me into a dangerous telekinetic. As the ancient Tibetan Philosophy states "Don't start none, won't be none!” 0 likes