A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire #3, Part 1 of 2)

A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire #3 part 1/2)

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  26,207 ratings  ·  924 reviews
The Seven Kingdoms are divided by revolt and blood feud, and winter approaches like an angry beast. Beyond the Northern borders, wildlings leave their villages to gather in the ice and stone wasteland of the Frostfangs. From there, the renegade Brother Mance Rayder will lead them South towards the Wall.

Robb Stark wears his new-forged crown in the Kingdom of the North, but...more
Published April 7th 2001 by HarperVoyager (first published August 8th 2000)

Kristin
Better than the last book, not as good as the first. Altogether an interesting story, but the pace of the series is very slow and if GRRM mentions one more banner/sigil, I'm gonna lose it...
Josh
George R R Martin had fun with this instalment – the evidence is in the dialogue and actions of the characters who manage to find moments of jocularity amidst the chaos of war. Tyrion Lannister is his usual swashbuckling self with a sharper sense of violence honed through bloody battle and everyday dealing with his treacherous domesticated life. Robb Stark breaks an oath and gains comfort of the flesh – a choice sure to have ramifications on the war effort. While King Joffrey continues to echo t...more
Lisa
Célia
"A Tormenta de Espadas" é a primeira parte do original "A Storm of Swords", geralmente considerado o melhor volume publicado até agora das Crónicas de Gelo e Fogo, da autoria de George R.R. Martin. Apesar de ainda só ter lido metade (do livro original), posso dizer que de todos os volumes lidos até agora este foi o meu preferido. O motivo para isto é que, para além de todos os aspectos positivos presentes nos volumes anteriores, este livro é consistente no que diz respeito ao interesse gerado pe...more
Kirstine
It is a good book.
Rationally I know this. And I did enjoy it. There are some great characters, great stories and great writing. It's a very imaginative and epic tale. And it has tons of things I love, like dragons and sword fighting and magic and a huge wall of ice AND WILDLINGS. Rationally I know this.

But.. My emotional response?
Too many characters.
Too many storylines.
Too many things happening in different places.
AHHH. My poor head.

The things is, I care about too few of the PoV characters...more
Tim Howard
The first volume of the third book of A Song of Ice and Fire is a 600pp behemoth in its own right. I loved the first two books, but GRRM is really revved up here. I'm not sure I have ever read a novel in which so much shit has gone down. Every chapter brings unexpected twists of fate, and at least two chapters ended with me shaking my head and whispering, "Oh. Fuck me."

If you're into this series, you don't need me to tell you to read this, and indeed you probably did so years ago. If you're not...more
Liz
One thing I have to say about reading Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' is that I can never go straight into the next one without getting some literary respite from a few other books first, despite the books always ending on about 20 different cliffhangers.

The novels are well written, and obviously have had an immense amount of work put into the writing. However, firstly they're REALLY complex. Just when you think you've got a handle on all the characters, another 5 pop up from somewhere, who y...more
Carmo Santos
Comecei este livro com grande expectativa e terminei-o já a acusar algum cansaço. A guerra fez uma pausa no campo de batalha mas as estratégias continuam nos salões nobres. Forjam-se alianças e casamentos para consolidar o poder, casamentos tão estapafúrdios, que não admira que houvesse tantos bastardos.
Gostei da evolução da história em torno da Daenerys e pouco mais. Demasiadas personagens, não vou (nem sequer tento) fixar tantos nomes e tenho dúvidas se irão ter um papel relevante no evoluir d...more
Georgia
You know, at this point I don’t even know where to start talking about this series. I am truly and completely enamoured with it, and George R. R. Martin is a sheer genius. I could literally leave this review there, but I suppose that would be unfair!

A Storm of Swords Part One was a great read from the get go. The prologue raised the hairs on the back of my neck when the arrival of the Others was announced, and let’s just say Chett’s reaction was probably rather accurate. I’m trying to think of h...more
Colette
I'm seeing a lot of negative reviews about this book: people complaining about a slow story line and a ridiculously cruel world where anyone can be killed off without a second thought. My response is: if you want a quick, happy clappy mushy book, you need to get yourself to the romance section. Or even better, the young adult section.

My biggest pet peeve in books is feeling that characters are safe. I want people to die. I want people to be miserable. It tells me that the author is serious and...more
Karen Brooks
I started this book with high expectations, picking it up after having just finished book two and being unable to bear even a pause in the saga that is the Song of Fire and Ice. Well, those expectations have not only been met, but exceeded, as Martin takes the reader further into the machinations of the major houses of the Seven Kingdoms and the lives of the characters that dominate this violent, passionate and dark tapestry. In this book, we follow mainly the story of Caetlyn, Rob, Sansa and Ar...more
Rhiannon Ryder
My epic summer read continues with A Storm of Swords (book three), and another 1128 pages of George R.R. Martin goodness. What a fantastic summer read! all I want to do it loll around in the back yard with the kitties, some ice cream or a cold drink and some of George’s awesome story telling. And all this talk of freezing, and snow, and winter's coming, is all very helpful when your dying of heat stroke as well. It's almost cooling in its own right!

Being the equivalent of roughly 9 and a half of...more
Gregory
New favorite character: Queen of Thorns. Other than that, I thought this book was the worst entry so far. It was so full of characters complaining (I'm giving a hard side-eye to Sam & Davos, especially) & chapters that didn't really go anywhere, plot-wise. Plus, Martin's sex scenes have gone beyond tiresome & have become completely laughable. Dude, where's my male gaze? Oh, it's lingering on Ygritte's/Brienne's/Shae's "teats."

I will say, howevs, that I'm liking what Martin is doing w...more
Steve Rippington
Oh dear.

I so wanted to like this series. I raced through the first two books and thoroughly enjoyed them. The premise was hardly original, but the prose is well written and the plot and characterisation was refreshing. Then, three books in, came the horrible realisation that Martin has become a victim of his own success. People will buy his books no matter what he puts in them. Much like Rowling, he no longer needs to worry about an editor.

Where did he go wrong? The problems boil down to two fac...more
Mick O'Dwyer
After the mild disappointment of A Clash Of Kings, which felt like too much padding in places, this is more like it. Probably edges A Game of Thrones in terms of story-telling: pace, imagination and character development are all in high gear. Without giving away any plot details ...

Good Bits:
While one or two characters retreat to the shadows, others step forward and there's some great additions. For once I'm becoming fascinated with Daenerys character and her development, gone is the simpering...more
Andrew Russell
I loved the previous books in this series:the intrigue, betrayal, huge bloody battles, death coming to characters without a moments notice. Not to mention a writing style which brought everything to life in vivid detail and made it feel real, in spite of it being firmly in the fantasy genre.

The only thing is, this particular book just falls rather short of it's predecessors for the reason that it lacks most of what I've described in the first paragraph. It starts to founder under the burden of t...more
James
It's not a totally fair review as this isn't really the book that George Martin put out. Instead, book three has been hacked into two smaller books for the attention (or bag size) challenged paperback reader. Sadly, the only way to do this is to hack the book in half - leaving all the set up and slow build in the first book and (hopefully) all the action and outcome for the second half. However, I haven't read the second half yet, so the first book seems somewhat lacking...

There were a couple of...more
☼~Marian~☼
Sep 29, 2011 ☼~Marian~☼ rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers
Recommended to ☼~Marian~☼ by: GR members
The plot was never boring. The characters gracefully transitioned to different roles they had to play . Though there were parts that are redundant. Same course of event through the eyes of different characters. Between reading, I was close to throwing this book because the author has this queer habit of butchering my favorite characters. Near its ending, the story somehow mustered a little strength to redeem for the loss.

**COMMENTS BELOW CONTAINED SPOILERS..READ AT YOUR OWN RISK**
Noora
5 out of 5 stars, despite there still being many unanswered questions. Taking into consideration that this is a part 1 of 2 book, I've decided to overlook that fact. Regardless, this part had a few additions that I loved, such as Queen of Thorns, Brienne of Tarth and chapters designated for Jaime's POV.

Of course other than the brilliant detail, imagery and dialogue, my love for this series would not be of this magnitude if it weren't for Arya and Tyrion. As with George R. R. Martin's writing, I...more
Ana
Neste quinto livro da Saga Crónicas do Gelo e Fogo continuamos a seguir a história dos reinos de Westeros e dos seus respectivos reis, bem como da Rainha Dragão em Pentos e como não podia deixar de ser da vida para além da Muralha. Contudo são dados novos pontos de vista... Este livro começa logo com a perspectivas de alguns membros da Patrulha da Noite e de Sor Jaime Lannister, perdendo-se a perspectiva de Theon Greyjoy.
Fiquei bastante satisfeita com o facto deste livro nos dar muita informaçã...more
Eileen
Another amazing book by Mr. Martin. I love his writing style, I think he's a genius and his books are very detailed, addictive and mesmerizing. He knows how to grab the attention of the reader, keep it all the way throughout the book and in the end he leaves you with a yearning for more. He makes you fall in love with the characters and the unique world he has created.
As much as I love this book again I must say that it has a down-side and that's the enormous amount of characters and the many ba...more
Sofia Teixeira
Voltar a Westeros é sempre sinónimo de uma nova aventura (ou várias) cheia de reviravoltas, emoções e adrenalina. George R.R. Martin não se poupa, nem aos seus leitores, às peripécias de um reino cheio de reis e de ao mesmo tempo sem nenhum realmente digno desse título. E enquanto os nobres se vão preocupando com a conquista do reino em si, para lá da Muralha as movimentações vão sendo cada vez maiores e os Outros estão cada vez mais activos. O Inverno está a chegar e não promete nada de bom.

A T...more
Marisa Martins
(Pode contém spoilers para quem não leu os livros I, II, III e IV)

Jon Snow está para lá das Muralhas e vê-se obrigado a viver com os selvagens. Arya continua a enfrentar perigos na sua demanda para chegar a casa. Tyrion convalesce depois do terrível acidente que sofreu durante o ataque de Stannis a Porto Real. Catelyn, com a ajuda de Brienne, tenta trocar Jaime Lannister pelas filhas, Sansa e Arya. Robb, embora continue a ganhar batalhas, está longe de ganhar a guerra, objectivo cada vez mais lo...more
Cata
Embora nos restantes volumes tivesse visto a série antes de ler os livros, desta vez decidi fazer o contrário. Pensei que este volume correspondia à terceira temporada, mas depois descobri que a terceira temporada inclui também o início do próximo livro [o que constitui a minha principal desculpa para ainda não a ter visto]

Há uns tempos atrás esbarrei com um mega-spoiler sobre o aclamado Casamento Vermelho [foi acidental, I swear!], o que atiçou ainda mais a minha curiosidade para A Tormenta das...more
Lou Robinson
I left starting the third book until after the tv series so I didn't get too ahead of the story but with hindsight, it probably made no difference. Thoroughly enjoyed this next chunk of the saga, my favourite characters featured heavily and remain the ones I'm most keen on - Arya, Tyrion and Jon. Liking Jaime more. Not liking Ygritte: "You know nothing, Jon Snow!" . Yawn, she's dull.
And poor old Sansa eh? That girl has no luck.
James and Suzanne kept telling me that loads of people die in book 3....more
Jo
The epic saga continues although this one kind of overlaps with the previous novel, giving different viewpoints of the same event. Strangely though, it works. I also like the addition of the story being told from the povs of characters who have already appeared such as Jaime Lannister and finding out more of how he thinks, etc. For some reason, though, because of the way he's portrayed in the TV series, I picture Jaime as something like Prince Charming in the Shrek movies and in my mind he's for...more
Katrin
Ich würde dem Buch sogar 6 Sterne geben, wenn ich könnte. Meiner Meinung nach bis jetzt der beste Teil der Reihe. Ich hoffe, das Band 6 sich ebenso hält.

Ist schon krass was diesmal wieder alles so passiert. Wieder sterben gute Charaktere, andere Heiraten oder müssen eher gesagt heiraten (ob sie nun wollen oder nicht) und wieder andere werden schwer verletzt. Teilweise kommen die Ereignisse wieder so überraschend, dass man nur denken kann....WTF!

Ich freu mich auf mehr!
Andy
Only 3 Stars.....? I did, I did really like it, I guess as it's only a part 1 book it left many unanswered questions & tbh I liked the way the tv series played out some of the differences, which i dont oft say, as normally for me books are far superior to film/tv.

Onto the second part next as it's waiting at the library for me.
Graham
A great read, just as good as (if not better) than the two previous novels. Somehow, A STORM OF SWORDS feels better: deeper, more layered, more stuff (important stuff) going on. I particularly like the way that we're given new psychological insights into previously repulsive characters, making them sympathetic in the extreme.

Looking at the novel subjectively, it's hard to pinpoint what makes it so great. A lot of characters don't really do much or progress anywhere. But I think it's the characte...more
Please help 8 52 Jan 05, 2014 01:35AM
The Red Wedding 4 67 Jun 18, 2013 01:29AM
I still don't like Jaime Lannister. 9 123 Apr 17, 2013 06:52AM
  • A Vingança do Assassino (A Saga do Assassino, #4)
  • O Medo do Homem Sábio (A Crónica do Regicida, Livro 2 - Parte 1)
  • A Senhora da Magia (As Brumas de Avalon, #1)
  • Ventos do Norte (Acácia, #1)
  • O Guerreiro-Lobo (A Saga das Pedras Mágicas, #2)
  • O Dardo de Kushiel (Kushiel, #1)
  • Inside HBO's Game of Thrones
  • Chrzest ognia (Saga o Wiedźminie, #5)
  • Os Pilares da Terra - Volume II
  • Schatten über Ulldart (Ulldart - Die Dunkle Zeit, #1)
  • The Earthsea Quartet
  • The High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy, #3)
  • Dark is the Moon (The View From the Mirror, #3)
George R. R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

Martin attended Mary Jane Donohoe School and Marist High School. He began writing very young, selling monster stories to other neighborhood children for pennies,...more
More about George R.R. Martin...
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2) A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, #3) A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, #4) A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, #5)

“Why ask for truth when you close your ears to it? - Ser Barristan Selmy to Daenerys” 8 likes
“For Phyllis who made me put dragons in” 5 likes