Start by marking “Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising” as Want to Read:
Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising

Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising (Shrapnel #1)

Venus, 2250. After five years of war, the last free colony in the Solar System is about to fall. Unknown to the attacking marines—or even the colonists themselves—the most infamous heroine of the war has gone into hiding in exile on their planet. Now she must organize a revolt against the very marines she once fought alongside and lead the colonists to freedom.
Published August 25th 2009 by Radical Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shrapnel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrapnel

Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Shrapnel ended up being a problematic 'read' for me. I cut my tooth on military sci fi (Cherryh especially) and was hoping for something literary in this graphic novel. However, the story really could have been told in any setting and didn't need the sci fi trappings. It was fairly basic, overly wordy, and didn't really go anywhere interesting.

With a generic story, I look for the art to carry and expound upon the story.
Jessica
Dec 01, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Appeal Characteristics Visual Art, strong female lead, Character Development, Storyline

You are on Venus in a world filled with two types of people. Helots and Geno-types. Helots are normal humans who were conceived naturally, where Genotypes have had their genes altered to maximize their potential. Helots are discriminated against intensely, and are enslaved on other planets because of their inferiority. Back to Venus, Anyway, Venus is one of the last planets that Helots and Genotypes live in
Mike Gallagher
Aug 23, 2011 Mike Gallagher rated it it was ok
The writing was good. The story was average with a strong start. It was similar to Warhammer 40K without being as interesting or as military minded.
The art was dark and overly abstract sometimes. It was difficult to
Follow the story in the art. For as much work went into
Making this book it should have shown more.
Ari
Nov 07, 2010 Ari rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: hardcore sci-fi fans
Shelves: fiction
Very interesting story, great battle scenes, good characters, good artwork, but, sometimes the art is very dark and you can barely discern between the good guys suits armor and the baddies'. The art is very good but I feel it could be better if the tones and brightness were more attuned. Good storytelling though, full of sci-fi terminology and great concept.

Good, but could be better.
John Xero
Apr 24, 2012 John Xero rated it liked it
Decent CG art which can look a little muddied and dark in places, making some of the battle scenes confusing and unclear. It was easier to skim fights and work out what had happened by the aftermath, which was a shame.

The story is military SF in tone, with a light political edge. Interesting and well-written.
Rick
Oct 20, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it
I agree with other reviews that the art was sometimes ambiguous and I couldn't tell which characters I was seeing. The story itself was quite good and overall I liked the art but I dinged it a star due to the art sometimes being too hard to make out.
Andre
Sep 17, 2012 Andre rated it did not like it
The book fell apart on me a quarter of the way in. I'm not really interested in reading more as it felt like looking at a series of painting rather than reading a graphic novel.
Brent
Dec 19, 2013 Brent rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, sci-fi
Spectacular art & a decent story.
Matt
Nov 17, 2010 Matt rated it liked it
A fair story, although one of the better sic fi graphic novels I have read.

The art is beautiful and emotive in places, and muddy and confused in others.
Maarten Broekman
Maarten Broekman rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2015
Dbacon
Dbacon rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2010
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2011
Alexander
Alexander rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2014
Theodore
Theodore rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Thilani Samarasinha
Thilani Samarasinha rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Dave Ong
Dave Ong rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Brian
Brian rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2015
Philip
Philip rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2011
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Oct 25, 2014
Dany Belanger
Dany Belanger rated it liked it
Jun 08, 2015
Frank Lanza
Frank Lanza rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Daniel Blas
Daniel Blas rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2014
Alexander Thomas
Alexander Thomas rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Jason Dickman
Jason Dickman rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
BrokenMnemonic
BrokenMnemonic rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Michael Butler
Michael Butler rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Seth Morris
Seth Morris rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2017
Steampunk, New We...: Does anyone else read comics/graphic novels? 29 31 Feb 02, 2014 08:08AM

Shrapnel (2 books)