Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising

Shrapnel: Aristeia Rising (Shrapnel #1)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Venus, 2250. After five years of war, the last free colony in the Solar System is about to fall. Unknown to the attacking marines—or even the colonists themselves—the most infamous heroine of the war has gone into hiding in exile on their planet. Now she must organize a revolt against the very marines she once fought alongside and lead the colonists to freedom.
Published August 25th 2009 by Radical Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Shrapnel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shrapnel

Jessica
Appeal Characteristics Visual Art, strong female lead, Character Development, Storyline

You are on Venus in a world filled with two types of people. Helots and Geno-types. Helots are normal humans who were conceived naturally, where Genotypes have had their genes altered to maximize their potential. Helots are discriminated against intensely, and are enslaved on other planets because of their inferiority. Back to Venus, Anyway, Venus is one of the last planets that Helots and Genotypes live in...more
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian  http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Shrapnel ended up being a problematic 'read' for me. I cut my tooth on military sci fi (Cherryh especially) and was hoping for something literary in this graphic novel. However, the story really could have been told in any setting and didn't need the sci fi trappings. It was fairly basic, overly wordy, and didn't really go anywhere interesting.

With a generic story, I look for the art to carry and expound upon the story. T...more
Ari  P.
Nov 08, 2010 Ari P. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hardcore sci-fi fans
Shelves: fiction
Very interesting story, great battle scenes, good characters, good artwork, but, sometimes the art is very dark and you can barely discern between the good guys suits armor and the baddies'. The art is very good but I feel it could be better if the tones and brightness were more attuned. Good storytelling though, full of sci-fi terminology and great concept.

Good, but could be better.
Mike Gallagher
The writing was good. The story was average with a strong start. It was similar to Warhammer 40K without being as interesting or as military minded.
The art was dark and overly abstract sometimes. It was difficult to
Follow the story in the art. For as much work went into
Making this book it should have shown more.
John Xero
Decent CG art which can look a little muddied and dark in places, making some of the battle scenes confusing and unclear. It was easier to skim fights and work out what had happened by the aftermath, which was a shame.

The story is military SF in tone, with a light political edge. Interesting and well-written.
Rick
I agree with other reviews that the art was sometimes ambiguous and I couldn't tell which characters I was seeing. The story itself was quite good and overall I liked the art but I dinged it a star due to the art sometimes being too hard to make out.
Andre
The book fell apart on me a quarter of the way in. I'm not really interested in reading more as it felt like looking at a series of painting rather than reading a graphic novel.
Matt
A fair story, although one of the better sic fi graphic novels I have read.

The art is beautiful and emotive in places, and muddy and confused in others.
Brent
Spectacular art & a decent story.
Karin
Beautiful artwork, some of the best I've seen.
Calvin Daniels
Calvin Daniels marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Paulius
Paulius marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Michael Di pietro
Michael Di pietro marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
H.
H. marked it as to-read
May 16, 2013
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Lawrence
Lawrence marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Steampunk, New We...: Does anyone else read comics/graphic novels? 29 28 Feb 02, 2014 08:08AM
Heart of War Control Under Fire (Bloodlines) Fighting Phantoms A Time for War (Bloodlines) Blood Brotherhood