Start by marking “Bear in Underwear” as Want to Read:
Bear in Underwear

Bear in Underwear

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  180 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Bestselling pop artist Todd Goldman makes his Blue Apple Books debut with a zany story about a bear, a backpack filled with underwear, and his group of furry friends who cheer him on in search of the perfect fit. Features comic-style illustrations and giggle-inspiring
‘tighty-whities’.
Published March 3rd 2010 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Bear in Underwear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bear in Underwear

karen
i mean - this book is getting 5 stars from me because i do not understand it, and i do not like the low-star ratings by people who fear this book for the wrong reasons. yes, i am the judge of reasons right now. scary, huh?? but this review is a gem for so many reasons, and its only comment kills me. i laffff.

but i understand some of the low-star reviews, i do. because there used to be a time when children's books had a message, right?? standards. a moral. this one seems like an explosion of terr
Thomas
Stumbled upon a copy of this at Target and read it with my younger cousin. We had a good laugh over it, and now I've decided to add it to my Goodreads shelf to help me meet my reading goal for people interested in children's books. I am curious as to why someone would stuff a backpack full of underwear, and I'm also curious as to why a bear would proceed to try on the underwear (let's hope they're new) with his friends in the hope of finding the perfect fit. But, I suppose the book is for kids.

Sue Smith
I mean - how can you not give a children's book that talks about underwear types a five star rating?! Tighty whities no less!! It gives hope for all of those people out there who would like to write a book but don't know about what ....or whether their idea has merit enough to be published. Tighty whiteys people - your published book opportunity is waiting!!

I can''t honestly say what attracted me to this book the most. It's not content, although it is a wee bit of a scream. Definitely kids would
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Have you ever been around 4 year olds? They are obsessed with anything potty, booty or underwear related. They go into hysterics if someone farts or burps.

This book is for them.

Is the story silly - oh yes. A bear finds a backpack full of underwear and tries them all on until he finds the right ones that fit. That's it.

And the kids think it is the funniest damn book they have ever read.

The kids read it to each other and bust out laughing. They read lots of books, some more silly than others. I d
Michelle
OMGosh! This has prop/flannel story written ALL over it! It would be so much fun to do this for preschool or family storytime!! Very, very cute.
Jul 31, 2010 Sarah marked it as to-order
I love books about underwear (not a very well hidden secret)
Mary Ann
While I like the artwork in this book - reminiscent of Scaredy Squirrel - the story and consistency leave much to be desired. When the bear runs across someone's backpack and hesistates to pick it up, children know this is a good thing - you don't look into someone's bag if you don't know whose it is. But when Bear reaches his friends, they all start pulling out the underwear, without any comment on whether this is OK or not. Kids are left wondering why Bear hesitated at first, and why he went a ...more
Aubriann
This book is silly and giggle inspiring.
The thing is, parents, teachers,aunts, uncles, and grandparents are adults. We read a lot into things because we have the experience of life. And it's our job to make sure children don't go around trying on the random backpacks full of underwear they run into on a daily basis.
The book is harmless, and makes every child I have given it to dissolve into fits of laughter. The same kind of laughter that is a result of saying, "A B C D E F Butt."
The pictures
Hafidha
This book is weird and kind of hilarious. Some forest animals are playing hide and seek when Bear gets hungry and abandons his hiding place to go home for food. Along the way he finds a backpack and takes it with him. He arrives home and all his friends urge him to OPEN IT! Finally, he does. The backpack is full of underwear. He tries them all on - getting comments from his friends like, "Too big, too dirty, too girly." The last pair are "tighty whities" that fit just right.

This story is so ran
Jessica
I received a free copy of this book from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This in no way influenced my review.

This would be a great book to read before a child goes to sleep. It is a cute book about a little bear that goes camping! The meter for this book was fantastic and made it very catchy and song like.
Bekka
This was a very silly book! It doesn't really have much of a story, but kids will laugh at the underwear. I did appreciate the illustrations, and also that BigFoot is a character in the cast of forest creatures. Fun for kids - parents will roll their eyes.
Gabrielle
Spunky. A great word to describe this book. I saw it and was instantly interested in what the book was going to be about. Of course, it's about a little bear whose critter friends cheer and push him along with a backpack full of underwear (that he found) in search of the perfect fit. The illustrations are so cute and funny you can't help but giggle. Young children would get a kick out of this book. The content is innocent, but it is up to your judgement on whether or not you would let you childr ...more
Tyson_serena Brown
We changed te words in this book to eliminate some of the peer pressure that is present and we say mommy gave the bear his backpack
Kerrie Best
I have never heard children laugh this much! EVERYONE should read this book to a child - it will brighten anyone's day.
Lorna
My 2 1/2 year old grandson decided that he wanted to wear underwear, not diapers, after we read this story together.
Miranda
Its silly and didn't really have a purpose, but we Stoll giggled about different parts.
Geni
May 25, 2013 Geni rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: poop
The front cover to the book is so pervasive I am still in disbelief that it actually is available to children. The fact that you can TOUCH the bear's underwear...it's a cotton fabric so that it gives the illusion to children that it is alright not only to touch themselves but other children in underwear...I really think it will become one of those unbecoming books that promote masterbation and early on mis-behavior if read...especially by teachers or librarians...NO WAY! Why would you read a boo ...more
Clacie
Jesse thought this was pretty darn funny. I thought it was only sort of funny.
Amanda
What else do you need to know?

This is the story of a bear in underwear. If you are not already giggling, then
you should see a doctor because your funny bone is probably broken.

The illustrations are great and it's a cure story. Plus, if you are one of
those people that are looking for a book to do more that entertain, this one
has a nice little lesson that everyone is different and that is OK.

Tee-he-he, it's a bear who tries on funny underwear. How are you not
rushing to your nearest bookstore for a
T
Sep 09, 2013 T rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
While I still don't fully understand the book, my kids love it and haul it off the Oldies But Goodies shelf at least once a month. Maybe it's the cloth underwear on the cover. Maybe it's Bigfoot playing hide and seek. Maybe it's the bear in pink girl's underwear. I'm not quite sure. But, I do know that if I find a backpack of underwear in the forest, I'm not likely to try them on. Maybe that's how I know that I'm an adult now. Hmmm....
Brenda Pritchard
toddler-->preschool story time; print motivation, narrative skills, phonological awareness;
This book is about a bear who must find the right pair of underwear. Other pairs are too big, too small, too colorful, until he find the right pair.
Silly story about underwear and children will laugh. The cover includes cloth feel to the underwear offering sensory aspect of the book.
Tricia
Cute pictures though I'm not exactly sure what the point of animals wearing underwear is. In fact, I've had to remove a star in case children reading this think it's okay to start trying on strange undergarments they find in a mysterious backpack.

I love the characterization of the bear's friends and my favourite picture is Big Foot hiding behind a tree.
Dona
Sure to become a classic, Bear in Underwear is funny. Bear stumbles upon a backpack full of underwear and tries them all before he finds the pair that works for him. He then cheerfully shares the remaining underwear with all of his friends much to the delight of readers young and old. Laugh-out-loud illustrations and text.
Melissa
The story and illustrations are really funny but I was a bit unsure of the premise. A backpack full of underwear just laying in the forest? Not to mention that the bear tries them all on. I guess I'm too much of an adult to see the appeal of trying on a bunch of underwear found in a bag. A bit strange.
Angie
Kind of a ... dare I say it ... dumb idea for a story.

That said I do like the illustrator's style.

And as I'm flipping through I just kept seeing a group of kinder or first graders LOVING this book. Of me having to get them back down to a "voice level one" because of all the giggling.
Mrs Bond
Cute, silly story. Not a whole lot of substance, not a good fit for the school library. Underpants as a topic I can deal with, but little underpants attached to the cover is just inviting insanity. My 6 yo son, who claims he doesn't like to read, loved this book.
Bri
I was checking this in at the 'brary and had to read it. It was a fun little read and amusing enough, but the plot was weak...even for a children's book.

Still, it gets points for having a backpack that explodes with colorful underwear.
I love this book! It is so much fun and silly, it also helps to explain why daddy walks around the house in his underwear it's cause he is a bear. (This book is an inside joke in our house!) Amazon also sells a stuffed bear in underwear.
Heather
most suitable for using for kids that don't want to wear underwear. I must confess as an adult that I find it, due to subtext the kids don't have, naughty. Especially the "feel it" cover with the tighty wighty.
Michelle
I like Aliens Love Underpants better, but this one is fun for little kids, so I gave it a 3.
  • Dinosaur vs. the Potty
  • Pouch!
  • Mouse Was Mad
  • My Farm Friends
  • The Great Nursery Rhyme Disaster
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • Lost Sloth
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • Don't Slam the Door!
  • Swim! Swim!
  • If All the Animals Came Inside
  • Two at the Zoo
  • Is Your Buffalo Ready for Kindergarten?
  • Solomon Crocodile
  • I Love My Daddy Because...
  • Bubble Trouble
  • Ten on the Sled
  • Say Hello Like This!
Boys Are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them! Girls are Weirdos but They Smell Pretty The Bus Driver Honey Bear's Blue Bathing Suit Bear's Underwear Mystery: A Count-and-Find-It Adventure