Start by marking “Cop Without a Badge: The Extraordinary Undercover Life of Kevin Maher” as Want to Read:
Cop Without a Badge: The Extraordinary Undercover Life of Kevin Maher

Cop Without a Badge: The Extraordinary Undercover Life of Kevin Maher

What's the difference between a cop and Kevin Maher? Kevin doesn't have a badge. And he doesn't play by the rules.

Cop Without A Badge tracks confidential informant Kevin Maher as he helps the NYPD, the FBI, and many other law enforcement agencies solve cases that range from robbery to extortion to homicide. In the process, Kevin becomes the highest paid CI the DEA ever ha
Published July 1st 2009 by Scribner (first published February 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Cop Without a Badge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cop Without a Badge

Mauricio
Only 2 things in this book are true; name change and arrest, PAY ATTENTION PUH LEASE.
Sandie
Dec 16, 2009 Sandie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lucky me! I noticed this book at a local church thrift store and purchased it for fifty cents.......and I may have overpaid at that. If this book was supposed to be some sort of expose, the only thing it managed to expose was that Kevin Maher is a guy with lousy judgement who tosses decent women under the bus while he "loves" junkies and crack whores. This "confidential informant" is nothing more than a sociopath who used anybody and everybody to get the money that would support his appetite for ...more
Although I liked this book, I reserved it for the sole purpose of reading about Danielle, from the Real Housewives of New Jersey. There were only about 25 pages in the book dedicated to Danielle. She definately was, as in the show, indicated in involvement with Kidnapping, Extorsion, Prostitution, and being involved with the Columbian Carelle. Not a bad read, but not something that is worth waiting months for from the library.
Kim
Jun 03, 2009 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because I occasionally watched "The Real Housewives of New Jersey", I couldn't resist putting this book on order at the library after the drama between Jacqueline and Danielle about Danielle's alleged past. This book was a good read .... well written and full of details. As far as the degree of Danielle's involvement in this crime saga, all I can say is, "WOW!"
Adna
This is a non-fiction book about a man named Kevin Maher. Kevin made some bad choices as a teenager and those bad choices ruined his dream of becoming a police officer. He therefore has to live his life with "might-have-beens" and so close to his dream. If we lose one dream, should we not dream another?

I think young people should read this book in order to see that an individual should grow up as a law abiding citizen. We are human and we make mistakes but we must learn from those mistakes and
Clare
Jul 10, 2010 Clare rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I have requested this from the library because I am obsessed with The Real Housewives of New Jersey. Kidnapping, drugs, and Danielle? I may skim the chapters that don't concern the housewife I love to hate.
Beth
Dec 18, 2009 Beth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really, I only read the small section about Danielle from The Real Housewives. I was less impressed than I thought I'd be.
Holly
Dec 06, 2009 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started this book two days ago, read halfway through in one night and then had to abandon it. The book follows a guy who was a teen criminal and becomes a police informant. He gets information out of the guys he went to jail with to commit them of crimes...all of the crimes being murders. I started to get quesy reading about the cases and then couldn't sleep last night! So I threw the book across the room.
Graceanne
Dec 15, 2010 Graceanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book about being a paid informant for Law Enforcement. Kevin Maher lived on the edge for many years, but deep down all he ever wanted to do was be a cop, so being an informant was the closest way he could accomplish his dream. Kevin went on one rollercoaster ride after another and you will feel that when you read this book...very entertaining read.
Debbie
Oct 09, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First I need to say that I am a "Housewife" junkie and I wanted to read this book because of the reference on the New Jersey show.
That being said, this is a very good and fast read. I had trouble putting this down. It is a true story and I found myself being drawn to Kevin, the main character. He has lived quite the life and I hope maybe there will be a follow-up on his adventures.
Abby Mitchell
I read this book because I'm an avid Real Housewives of NJ watcher!! Had to read it just to learn more about Danielle aka Beverly Merrill!
Jaci Berg
I read this book only because if the controversy over it on the Real Housewives of New Jersey. It wasn't bad, but go figure they made a big deal over somebody discussed on maybe ten whole pages.
Cheri
No wonder Danielle was so ticked about this book - she looks like a whora.
Ipo
Jan 25, 2017 Ipo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with everyone else I wanted to read this book based on the attention it got on the Real Housewives. After reading this book and Danielle's memoir I really don't know who's telling the truth. Danielle's memoir talks about the abuse Kevin did but in Kevin's book, it speaks about nothing of that sort. Only that they had big arguments. She was only mentioned like in one chapter of this book, which got me to think why was Theresa so upset (in the infamous table flipping dinner scene). While she ju ...more
Marc94
Jul 21, 2012 Marc94 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extraordinary tale of a man's life being an informant for the NYPD and at times the DEA. Convicted of grand theft auto in 1971, Kevin Maher received a four year prison sentence despite being a minor at the time. Unforunately, this felony conviction shattered his dream of becoming a real cop. But having met many acquaintances he was still able to occassionally help the police in solving cases by wearing a wire. This book provides another account of what the world of crime and law enforcement i ...more
Jul 08, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It may not be ALL true but I choose to believe that Kevin Maher has lived a pretty incredible life! It was a good read & I was excited to see what the hell he was gonna get into next! Don't know where Teresa Guidice got "prostitution whore engaged 19 times" from but it's clear that Danielle "Beverly Merrill" was definitely a coke whore...but it was the 80s and I'm pretty sure there are alot of reformed coke whores out there! lolol
Mara S
Aug 31, 2010 Mara S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a neat book that told me a lot about the undercover work that police officers do- I'd really had no idea other than the Hollywood versions, which we all know are erroneous. Well-written although I feel the author randomly emphasized some things that were not so relevant to the story as a whole, like cars.
Ryan
Mar 31, 2010 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was not impressed with how Maher acted while he was getting paid to inform. However, sometimes you have to take the good with the bad. I think that in the long run, more good that harm was done by him.
Nathalie
Mar 01, 2011 Nathalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay...im guilty! I was intrigued to read what it had to say about "Danielle" from housewives of NJ...but overall the life of Kevin Maher is interesting, complex, entertaining...his ego could have been a story on it's own o_O
Amy
Sep 11, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who was intrigued by the Real Housewives of New Jersey
I'm a sucker for a good true-crime story! A page turner that I can't put down. We are clearly not talking meaningful literature, but a compelling story that had me wanting to know what happened next.
Tbone
Nov 13, 2014 Tbone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty awesome book with some great undercover and high profile stories. Also shines a light on the bad consequences of drinking and drugs.
Amy
Dec 17, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't decide if I like the guy or not. It seems to think he's a hero, mis-understood person who's sadly never been given a chance. I'm not sure I agree. But it was interesting enough a story
Christina
Pleasant surprise. I am having a hard time putting this book down after three chapters. Maher was full of adventure during the uncertain teen years.
LK
Feb 27, 2010 LK rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This would have earned five stars, but I was not amused by Maher's adverse behavior while working as an informant. I would be interested to learn where he is today - professionally and personally.
Kitsa
Kitsa rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
April Farley
April Farley rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Jonas
Jonas rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2012
Dorothy Daidone
Dorothy Daidone rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Angela Johnson
Angela Johnson rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2015
  • The Naked Truth: The Real Story Behind the Real Housewife of New Jersey--In Her Own Words
  • The Real Housewives Get Personal
  • Stillwater Creek
  • A Cop's Life: True Stories from the Heart Behind the Badge
  • Tallulah!: The Life and Times of a Leading Lady
  • In the Middle of the Night: The Shocking True Story of a Family Killed in Cold Blood
  • The Mammoth Book of Unsolved Crime: The Biggest and Best Collection of Unsolved Murder and Mystery Cases
  • Kids Who Kill
  • Some Kind of Miracle: A Novel
  • Hunting Humans: An Encyclopedia of Modern Serial Killers
  • Always Have, Always Will
  • Killing Willis: From Diff'rent Strokes to the Mean Streets to the Life I Always Wanted
  • Uncle Al Capone - The Untold Story from Inside His Family
  • No Equal Justice: Race and Class in the American Criminal Justice System
  • Secrets of the Tomb: Skull and Bones, the Ivy League, and the Hidden Paths of Power
  • I'm Still Here: Confessions of a Sex Kitten