Start by marking “CookWise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed” as Want to Read:
CookWise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed

CookWise: The Secrets of Cooking Revealed

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  3,710 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
Offering “the hows and whys of successful cooking,” Cookwise, by well-known food writer and culinary sleuth Shirley O. Corriher, tells you how and why things happen in the course of food preparation. The more than 230 outstanding recipes featured not only please the palate, but demonstrate the various roles of ingredients and techniques—making Cookwise an invaluable refere ...more
Published August 21st 1997 by William Morrow Cookbooks

To ask other readers questions about CookWise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CookWise

The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
32nd out of 1,005 books — 990 voters
The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanKitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainAnimal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverFast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserIn Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Food-Related Non-Fiction
190th out of 759 books — 1,407 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan 19, 2009 Kent rated it it was amazing
If you're a food science geek like me, this is a great reference. Not quite as approachable as Alton Brown (but you might have seen her on the Alton Brown show Good Eats). The recipes are chosen to be good examples rather than great eats, but they're still pretty good. The key is that she teaches you how food works -- which helps you to figure out how to make better food. If you're the type to cook by eye and taste and smell, this is the kind of cookbook you want to read.
Miss Poppy
May 31, 2009 Miss Poppy rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book. There are recipes, but the value of the book is in how it explains the processes of cooking - why foods do what they do when they're cooked. Having a strong background regarding processes and ingredients makes it much easier to experiment and succeed. It's a Bible I return to again and again.
Mardel Fehrenbach
Jun 28, 2010 Mardel Fehrenbach rated it liked it
Recently I was cataloging my cookbook collection and the process was making me think about all the different books and why I had them. I decided to randomly work my way through some of them, cooking and reading, mostly out of curiosity about why I originally purchased them and what I thought about them now.

The first book I grabbed, Cookwise by Shirley Corriher, was chosen because although I remembered that I have used it for reference, I couldn't actually remember that I had cooked much from the
Nov 23, 2014 Helen rated it really liked it
An excellent resource. Too bad I have to take it back to the library.
Aug 04, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
Shirley is the REAL brains behind Good Eats.

Episode Three Chips for Sister Marsha is blatantly stolen from Shirley's 3 dueling chocolate chip cookie recipes - designed to show the interaction of the baking ingredients.
Jun 10, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: experienced cooks
Shelves: cookbooks, 999
Now that I've looked through this one, I vaguely remember reading it a few years ago, but I liked it better then, for some reason. This time around, I went from being totally impressed to completely overwhelmed in just a few pages. The book starts with bread. Well, I bake bread. So I know about that. But this went so far over my head, it was into the stratosphere. I was overwhelmed with a discussion of which kind of flour I needed, based on protein content. Then we got into the importance of add ...more
Aug 10, 2009 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: wine-and-food, 2009
I think I've been too spoiled by Alton Brown and his Good Eats show. Shirley Corriher tells you what the different cuts of meat are on a cow, Alton gives pictures.

Overall, interesting descriptions on the science of cooking and looking at what makes food at a molecular level. There seemed to be a lack of quality control - some pages would detail measured amounts, others would skip it.

The organization was a bit curious to me - the book clearly opens with bread recipes, then dances around all kin
Apr 25, 2016 Jaime rated it it was amazing
I first heard of the author on 'Good Eats' where he uses her as a reference, normally admitting that she is more qualified than he.

It struck me to order the book online & I waited very impatiently for its arrival. I was not let down. It's filled with insight and science based explanation as to why food reacts the way it does depending on different variables. I especially appreciate the charts she laid out for "troubleshooting" a recipe.

One of my favorite tips was to use vodka for flaky pie
Apr 18, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've ever read a cookbook all the way through. The value of this book is that Corriher explains what happens chemistry-wise to your food when you cook it. I feel like I've come away with a better understanding of cooking in general and WHY recipes have you do certain things. However, I don't know how much of this knowledge I'll retain (there is a lot of information in this book, which isn't a bad thing). I also don't know how many of the recipes I'll use. Many of them are ...more
Lindsey Duncan
Sep 11, 2013 Lindsey Duncan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A quick overview: CookWise is a guide to the hows and whys of cooking, the science behind why bread rises (or doesn't), what turns a juicy piece of meat into a tough lump ... and so much more. The book is fantastic on many levels. It's enlightening to read cover to cover (as I did); it's a great reference for specific questions. It's intriguing as an exploration of the conditions and chemistry that produce great (or terrible) food; it's useful for troubleshooting recipes both before and after co ...more
Nov 06, 2015 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Shirley Corriher is excellent. It is no wonder that she was frequently a guest on Alton Brown's show. Cooking made easy and practical.
Nov 13, 2015 Marian rated it it was amazing
Not only did I learn much about baking and cooking, the whys and hows, but she includes some great recipes.
Donna Sutherland
Oct 25, 2014 Donna Sutherland rated it really liked it
If you want to know how and why it works or fails this is a good book - great for a beginning cook.
Aug 12, 2013 Gregsamsa rated it it was amazing
Only the Kitchen Gods know how many ingredients I would have gone on throwing in the garbage had I not discovered this book and learned how to vet a recipe before even breaking out my bowls. This book isn't just for home chefs, however; I think it would be a fascinating read for your average science geek. If it weren't for her explanation of denatured protein I would never have arrived at the counter-intuitive revelations that skim milk is the best for a good sturdy cappuccino foam, or that usin ...more
Dec 19, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Excellent book about the science behind cooking and some pretty good recipes too.
Feb 14, 2015 Fullfaun rated it it was amazing
This books explains everything. what is in eggs that makes them into a souffle versus a cake.

Etc. It explains everything.
Sep 26, 2007 Paul rated it it was amazing
I think there are two ways to cook: you can memorize recipes or you can understand what those recipes are doing. Cookwise is a great reference for the latter. Corriher does a great job describing how each ingredient and technique affects the final outcome. In doing so, we come to understand how we can get the effect we want (cripsy vs. chewy cookie) and figure out what we've done wrong (pastry creme coddling: add more sugar so that the egg proteins don't coagulate as quickly). I wish Corriher wa ...more
Jan 31, 2015 Ivonne marked it as to-read
Shelves: cookbook-library
Apr 05, 2007 mia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who cook
I reference this book all the time for all kinds of reasons. It explains everything you've ever wondered about cooking; has lots of good tricks, tips and alternatives too.
It also has fun charts with the same recipe using different sorts of the same ingredient (like butter, shortening, oil, lard) so you can play lab at home for the sole purpose of inspecting the different ways the recipe turns out (and not at all as an excuse to make lots of chocolate chip cookies).
Stephen Simpson
Feb 06, 2016 Stephen Simpson rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, cookbook
A very good mix of recipes ("how") and detailed explanations of *why* things need to be done a certain way, as well as how ingredients and techniques interact (which let's you apply the lessons to other recipes/cookbooks, and fix the ones that look like good ideas but don't actually work in practice). The only drawback for me was the section on breads; there are techniques recommended by others (Peter Reinhart and Jeffrey Hammelman) that produce better results.
Benjamin Duffy
Jan 11, 2012 Benjamin Duffy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Not the kind of book you just sit down and read cover to cover - it is a cookbook, after all - and lacking the adorable, elementary school science teacher vibe she brings to her spots on Alton Brown's Good Eats, but still a pretty amazing book. As someone who would rather learn underlying principles and then be shooed out the door than master recipes by rote, this dense volume is right up my alley. You can see why Alton hero-worships her so fervently.
Mar 25, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it
Great information on food science for the non-food scientist. It explains how it all works and why recipes are put together the way they are. I found this helpful as I improvise and modify different recipes. There is a recipe or two to illustrate each point. I found the recipes not to my taste. I like to know how things work, but I cook rather simply and I am not a foodie that the recipes seem to cater to.
May 10, 2010 Matthew rated it really liked it
Outstanding cooking book. Sure, it's a recipe book, but that's beside the point. Shirley tells you the ins and out of making everything from perfect pie dough to wonderfully prepared meats and veggies.

It's a kitchen companion and up there with "On Food and Cooking". If you've ever wondered how cakes from scratch go together or what part egg whites and yolks play in a dish, this book is for you.
May 30, 2007 Pioden rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All those who love to cook, or just need help
Shelves: cooking, non-fiction
This is an awesome book - She breaks down the mysteries of why one person can get a recipe to work fabulously, and for another it flops. Cooking is a science, and she reveals the basics in this textbook for working with what you have, and knowing why something turned out the way it did. Also full of recipes that illustrate her points, and choices in ingredients to affect the outcome. Big thumbs up.
Apr 08, 2013 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Shelves: food, nytimes
As seen in David Leite's "Perfection? Hint: It’s Warm and Has a Secret" from the 9 July 2008 NYTimes.

Also as seen in this webinar: scrub to ~15:00.
Apr 03, 2009 Deidre rated it really liked it
A fantastic reference I'll, no doubt, keep returning to when I forget the details. A book every serious home cook should have handy so they know why their hard work might run awry in the cooking process. I loved the in depth chemical explanations in particular.

I did feel like some of the recipes she listed detracted from the material, however.
See my review for Bakewise and then compound that by the fact that I NEVER cook, nor do I enjoy it, so this is WAY out of my league. I really need to get the "I Hate to Cook Book". I think that will be more my speed.

That being said, I bet this would be a great book for the people in your life who really love cooking. And molecular biology.
Mar 11, 2010 Merrideth rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely fantastic! It engages all foodies ranging from the most expert cook to true beginner. The awesome chemistry of cooking is revealed and gives great insight into those meals that went wrong somewhere. A Mr. fix-it among recipe books as well as a good guide to cooking everything from the perfect pie to a standing rib roast.
Catherine Weller
Mar 25, 2013 Catherine Weller rated it it was amazing
Food Nerds Unite!

Corriher's seminal book of food science is not to be missed. Knowing why things work the way they do frees a cook to experiment more and gives one great things to talk about at cocktail parties when the topic of polygamy is exhausted (ok that's unique to me). One of my favorite all-time books on food.
Jul 13, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-bestest
I have learned so much from this book. Not surprising, as I'm borrowing it from one of our cooking goddesses, but I really must own a copy of this. It's scientific, but well written and well organized. It's enormous, but with the recipes interspersed, it feels like a faster read.
  • The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen
  • The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore
  • Good Eats: The Middle Years
  • What Einstein Told His Cook: Kitchen Science Explained
  • The Science of Good Food: The Ultimate Reference on How Cooking Works
  • Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Cooks, and Good Food
  • The Education of a Gardener
  • My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes
  • Kitchen Literacy: How We Lost Knowledge of Where Food Comes from and Why We Need to Get It Back
  • How to Cook Without a Book: Recipes and Techniques Every Cook Should Know by Heart
  • Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Breads: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Ideas in Food: Great Recipes and Why They Work
  • The Food Lover's Companion (Barron's Cooking Guide)
  • King of the Hill: A Memoir