Start by marking “Abode of Life” as Want to Read:
Abode of Life

Abode of Life (Star Trek: The Original Series #6)

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  17 reviews
ON THE PLANET MERCAN THERE ARE NO STARS, NO MOON, NO OUTER SPACE...

The citizens of Mercan cannot conceive of worlds beyond their own. Their sun, Mercaniad, is prone to deadly, radioactive flare-ups, and the Mercans have organized their life around the need to survive The Ordeal -- until a strange visitor appears from out of nowhere...

The Enterprise, badly crippled and in d

Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published February 5th 1986 by Pocket Books (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Abode of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abode of Life

Mike McDevitt
It had to happen. I've read too many of these. That... or it really is deadly, deadly bland.

Lost in a void is a bad opening heading tediously to a dull end. Planet of gun-toting, totally isolated jerks think they're the 'center of the universe' Americans... sorry MERCANS. They must face the truth when Enterprise shows up. Spock fires torpedos into their sun to stabilize it's periodically deadly rays, with a 1 in 5 chance of causing a nova. REALLY? 20% chance of killing a planet and that's what y
S. J.
Feb 16, 2012 S. J. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans, sci-fan lovers
*3.5 Stars*

*The Gush*
While not as stunning as the previous novel, this was quite a satisfactory Star Trek novel. On a 'routine' scientific mission, the Enterprise is sent flying outside one of the arms of the Milky Way galaxy. Severely damaged, the ship happens upon a single star and one planet alone in the black. On beaming down, they find a society that revolves around a dangerously unstable star, strange legends about the 'Ribbon of Night' and a belief that their planet is the only Abode of L
Kim
The story wasnt half bad; while on a scientific scouting mission the Enterprise is flung hundreds of light years away from their course by a gravitational anomaly. Unable to use warp drive, the only chance of repair/survival is to beam down to an isolated planet with potentialy rational, intelligent beings for help but doing so may violate the Prime Directive.

While reading I was a little peeved with the overuse of "insofar" and "wanted to know". There was some repetition and the pace didn't pic
Michael
I've tried to finish this book twice and just can't get through it. Everyone is "snapping" at each other all the time... That is not the Enterprise crew.

And I can't believe that a planet that has been caught off from the rest of the galaxy with no stars or anything could produce energy enough to constantly use transporters. Also there is the fact that they apparently have genetic engineering and so are not freaked out when the landing party arrives. They just think they are some new creation of
Christine
I got very bored with this book.
Chantel
Apparently I read this a long time ago but I don't remember it. I actually really liked this one. This book was more focused on the Prime Directive and first contact situations, which I would think is very boring, but it wasn't. I think it was very well written. It kept me reading till the last page. Even though nothing SUPER huge and exciting happened, it was still a tense book and I think it takes talent to make something as diplomatic as first contact something interesting to read. Anyway, th ...more
John
1985 grade B-

Classic Trek
Leslie
Awful book. I couldn't even get past chapter 6. The characters bore no resemblance at all to Star Trek characters. It's like the author stuck them randomly into a story already written. I just can't go on right now.

[Edit]
I can't leave these things alone. I just can't stand to NOT finish a book once I've started. Even if it's painful. Even if I can only do it 2 or 3 pages at a time.

This story never improved even at the finish. UGH Steer clear.
Cary Spratt
Reasonably well-written, although the author does overuse the word 'snapped' in lieu of said/replied/ordered/etc. Unremarkable story. It wasn't terrible -- I didn't feel I'd completely wasted my time reading it -- but there's nothing about it that urges me to recommend it as worth reading, either.
John
Not great, but a good basic TOS book. Some of the dialog between Spock and McCoy was quite faithful to the characters. At times the Kirk character didn't seem dead-on accurate though, perhaps indicative of how old this book actually is. Not a couldn't-put-it-down-page-turner, but not a bad read either.
Josie
Pretty much any book with Kirk I review will be bias...what can I say he's a hottie. That said I liked this book. It had some good humor in it. The story was 'meh'. Could have used more action.
Gregory
Read like a weak third season episode.
Travis
Interesting setting and story ideas, and I like that it's set between the first and second movies, but it all adds up to only a 'so-so' story.
Kreg
No major space battles, just a very fine example of what can go wrong - and right in a first contact!
Daniel Krueger
Very enjoyable! If you like this book, check out Chain of Attack and The Final Nexus.
Mike Grady
Surprisingly engaging. A quick, fun read.
colleen
read 03.17.85
read 05.15.85
Roger
Roger added it
Aug 29, 2015
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Tribble314
Tribble314 marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
Spock
Spock added it
Aug 11, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
  • Demons
  • The Tears of the Singers
  • The Cry of the Onlies
  • The Final Nexus
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • Pawns and Symbols
  • Dwellers in the Crucible
  • Web of the Romulans
  • The IDIC Epidemic
Pseudonym for G. Harry Stine.
More about Lee Correy...

Star Trek: The Original Series (1 - 10 of 112 books)
  • Star Trek I: The Motion Picture (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #1)
  • The Entropy Effect (Star Trek TOS #2)
  • The Klingon Gambit
  • The Covenant of the Crown
  • The Prometheus Design
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #2)
  • Black Fire
  • Triangle
  • Web of the Romulans
  • Yesterday's Son (Star Trek: The Yesterday Saga, #1)
Space Doctor Manna Star Driver Matter of Metalaw Cantraband Rocket