Start by marking “Highland Protector (Murray Family, #17)” as Want to Read:
Highland Protector (Murray Family, #17)

Highland Protector (Murray Family #17)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,271 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
The Murrays are back. From a "New York Times"-bestselling author comes an all-new story of the beloved Scottish family, and two lovers entangled in a plot against the king. Original.
Published December 1st 2010 by Zebra

Annie
Aug 16, 2011 Annie rated it it was ok
Okay, I know this is a formula book. A genre book that pretty much has to follow a set story line: after all, it is Hannah Howell. It's basically just superficial historical romance. It's not well written, it's predictable, and you don't have to think at all.

But damn, sometimes a girl just needs some trashy romance to fill up her time. I guess it works well enough for that.
Highland-dreamer
Anne
Aug 02, 2011 Anne rated it really liked it
This was a good book. Ilsabeth is in danger when her dagger is found in a dead king's man and they only man who seems to be willing to help her, if not totally believe her is Simon Innes, a man known to be fair and honest. As he delves into the mystery, Ilsabeth becomes morethan a client to him, and he finds he has to risk his life to prove her innocence. recommended.
Dawn ♥ romance
Mar 12, 2015 Dawn ♥ romance rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this steamy historical romance that had a good plot. A couple times it was kind of slow and some of the decisions hero and heroine made were bad but they made up for it later. Overall it was a good book. Ilsabeth is framed for murder of a kings man and is urged to flee to Sir Simon who will find the truth.
Rae
Apr 06, 2012 Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
I enjoyed this book except for one thing...many times I was left wondering where I was...there were many times that there were big jumps in time/place/scene without any indication I.e. spacing . . Extra lines between to aid with the jumps.....
Tara (box5angel)
Dec 20, 2010 Tara (box5angel) rated it really liked it
I'm a big fan of Hannah Howell's books, especially her Scottish Highland novels. And I really enjoyed this one.

There are some similarities between this book and the others, like a lot of the heroines are tiny, blue-eyed and black haired. Or there seems to be madness in the villian.

Despite that (the physical similarities can be attributed to the fact that the families - the Murrays, Armstrongs, etc. are related to each other in one way or another), this is still a good book.

It moved quickly. I

Author: Hannah Howell
First published: 2010
Length: 348 pages, 4087 locations
Setting: Scotland, 1479.
Sex: sometimes explicit, not frequent.
Series: Book 17 of Howell's Murray series.

A good, solid Howell medieval, back to the good old days. Heavy in story, lightly touched with paranormal, and pleasantly character driven. The sex is intimate and relevant; the backgrohnd characters are well formed. And there's a nice grovel to round it all
Kristin
While this book had most of everything I would want in a good historical highland novel, it just didn't grab me like usual. I enjoyed the story but it wasn't great for me. I think part of it was that I did not read the other books in this series. It was obvious that the families weren't just introduced and they had heavy backstories, I think if I had read this book in order I would appreciate it more.

The story followed Ilsabeth's flee from her home after she is branded a traitor and betrayed by
Carolyn F.
Usually I love every Hannah Howell book. This one I liked.

Ilsabeth is accused of murder and set up by her fiancée (although in his mind they were never really going to marry). She goes to Simon to find out the truth and obtains a couple of homeless orphans on the way. Simon works for the king and when she's accused of killing the king's messenger, he has to try to keep her from the king in order to find out the truth without the real murderer getting to her. The biggest gripe I have is that Sim
Colleen
Nov 14, 2013 Colleen rated it it was ok
I was expecting so much more from this book.. the plot is convuluted and frankly didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The motivations of the villains don't really make sense, and I thought that Simon was supposed to be a Sherlock Holmes-type character, but that didn't really fit him. His methods make no sense, and I wondered more than once if the author has ever read a mystery of any kind? There were a lot of characters who seemed to have backstories - I was clearly missing a lot. Characters ...more
Robin
May 25, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Hannah Howell for me. Simon was a great character. He was honest, and trustworthy. He believed in justice and doing the right thing. Ilsabeth is framed for murder,and her family sends her to simon to seek the truth and help her clear her name. I enjoyed Simons character, he was refreshing. He took Ilsabeth in to hide till he finds out the truth. He also took in the two young kids Ilsabeth found in the woods, on her way to simon's. Simon is afraid to get close because of his p ...more
Diana
Oct 08, 2011 Diana rated it liked it
Framed for murder and treason by her betrothed, Ilsabeth Armstrong runs to Simon Innes, who has a reputation for ferreting out the truth.

I must have missed a book in this series, since I don't remember the second case Simon worked on. Simon has always been a bit cold, so it was nice to hear his backstory and to get a glimpse into what made him the way he is (and to watch Ilsabeth completely destroy him). This was a typical Highland story, complete with murder accusations, evil villains, and ador
Cherry-Ann
Dec 28, 2015 Cherry-Ann rated it liked it
I liked it but not really impressed with this version of Howell's Highland title...read too much like a Hallmark movie. Probably it's the set of romance books I borrowed from the library but not sure why the whole village and the world must be involved in a couple's sex life. Jeez.
Elle
Apr 10, 2012 Elle rated it really liked it
Fun story with a sleuth solving a mystery in the Medieval Highlands. Ilsabeth Murray Armstrong is wanted for the murder of a king's man. Fortunately, she happened to overhear her betrothed discussing the set-up, and she manages to flee before she's caught. ON her family's advice, she runs to Simon Innes, a king's man who is also quite the detective. He agrees to help her, even though it puts him in some jeopardy with the king, who would be furious if he knew his man was sheltering the fugitive. ...more
Karen A. Livingston
Excellent

Just like all of Hannah Howell's books, Highland Protector was full of adventure, humor, and love. A great read to be sure.
Joni Stevens
This book needs to be read in the group with highland wolf, highland sinner then this book highland protector. I know the copyright dates say otherwise but it is connected to the other two books wolf and sinner. I don't agree with the author telling you not to read the books in order. I have read all the books in this series and they all go together in chronological order by the year the book starts in. Just FYI for the best reading enjoyment. They are a continuation of the families that have be ...more
Sarah Davenport
Jan 15, 2014 Sarah Davenport rated it liked it
I own several of Hannah Howell's books. I have always loved her stories about highlanders, but I was disappointed with this one. It did not draw me in the way the others had, and it was less exciting. However, if you love highlander novels then definitely give some of her other ones a try!
Jul 13, 2015 Laura rated it did not like it
Boring. Nothing much happened.
Kristen
Jan 02, 2011 Kristen rated it really liked it
Another great Highlander love story. Ilsabeth is on the run because someone has framed her for murdering the king's cousin. Her family sends her to her only hope of clearing her name, Simon Innes. Simon works for the king and is known for his innocent until proven guilty reputation. Once Simon meets Ilsabeth he knows in his heart that she is innocent and he will do anything to help prove her innocense. Great romance with a little mystery added to it.
I own this book on my nook.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Aug 14, 2011 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it really liked it
Ilsabeth has been falsely accused of killing the king's man by a stupid and mean man. Simon is a seeker of the truth set up to find the true traitor of the crown and to find Ilsabeth innocent. He finds more than innocence in his new houseguest. They find passion and love with each other and the traitors are found and punished. Howell pens another scottish gem about the large Murray clan. Great read!!
Rebekah
Jul 21, 2013 Rebekah rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up
This was so terrible I quit reading it, but I can't remember what exactly was so terrible about it because it was a couple months ago. Probably it was that gross thing they're always doing where they hate each other so much, ugh, she hates him, but then he grabs her and forces a searing kiss on her and she is just ~overcome. Probably that. Oh also it was written in relentless highlands dialect. Blerg.
Another solid Highland book from Ms. Howell! I adore the Murrays so it is fun to see how their family has evolved and continues to get into trouble. I liked Ilsabeth though she had a few TSTL moments. Simon was wonderful and I look forward to reading more about his brothers *crosses fingers*. The villain was well-written and appropriately evil without being over-the-top. Recommended!
Darcie Duranceau
Nov 25, 2013 Darcie Duranceau rated it really liked it
BookBub was kind enough to recommend this read and I didn't have anything lined up to read at the moment, so I gave it a shot. I really enjoyed it. In fact,I am now reading the next book in Howell's Highlander series. If you like Historical Romances, then you will love this. However, you may want to ensure your cold water is working well before you start reading... you may just need a shower.
Angel
Sep 01, 2015 Angel rated it it was amazing
Sir Simon Innes is a kingsmen, but he is notoriously known as a truth seeker so when Ilsabeth Murray Armstrong is wrongly accused of murdering a fellow kingsmen her family sends her to him...what Simon never expected was all the twists and turns that would lead him to his king's plotters and the beautiful woman he never saw coming...oh I really enjoyed this one...onto the next
Bronwyn
Jan 11, 2014 Bronwyn rated it really liked it
A little slow because the author kept going over the same feelings and problems but still enjoyable. Would read more by this author
Brandy *Ahviel*
I have to say as a person that has not read this series in order I had no problem following the book. I fell in love with Simon like Ilspeth when we first meet him. The way he was written makes you love him and see the pain that he carries.

I hope his brothers get a book because those three guys in such a brief meeting had me laughing
K
Oct 19, 2012 K rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance or series
Recommended to K by: fan of series
Finally, Simon Innes's turn! I really liked his character in the previous book, and was looking forward to seeing how his story would play out. As with the other books in this series, I found this book an easy, enjoyable read w/ a suprising amount of action. I would recommend this book to other readers.
Petula
Nov 17, 2013 Petula rated it it was amazing
Highland romance at it's best. Hannah Howell certainly knows how to pull you right in to a story. After reading the previous books in this series I was looking forward to Sir Simon's story, because I was already half in love with him. I loved every page. Straight on to the next book now.
Kendra
I love this author, and especially all of her highland series. It's so easy to slide into, and remember and enjoy the family. This gives Simon Innes his story, and is yet another enjoyable read.
Becky
Dec 07, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
I liked this book Simon was great but Ilsabeth was kind of anyoing at times especially in the begining. Would have liked a little better resolution at the end, but overall was a good book.
  • Highland Fire
  • Highland Hearts
  • A Taste Of Fire
  • A Warrior's Promise (The Warrior King, #3)
  • Highland Hero (Scottish Knights Trilogy, #2)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • A Scandalous Scot (Scottish Sisters #1)
  • True Highland Spirit (Highlander #3)
  • Highland Hellcat (Highlander, #2)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Sword of the Highlands (Highlands, #2)
Hannah Dustin Howell is a best-selling American author of over 40 historical romance novels. Many of her novels are set in medieval Scotland. She also writes under the names Sarah Dustin, Sandra Dustin, and Anna Jennet (see below).

She has also used the following pseudonyms:
Anna Jennet, Sarah Dustin and Sandra Dustin
More about Hannah Howell...

Murray Family (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Highland Destiny (Murray Family, #1)
  • Highland Honor (Murray Family, #2)
  • Highland Promise (Murray Family, #3)
  • Highland Vow (Murray Family, #4)
  • Highland Knight  (Murray Family, #5)
  • Highland Bride (Murray Family, #6 & MacEnroys, #1)
  • Highland Angel (Murray Family, #7)
  • Highland Groom (Murray Family, #8 & MacEnroy, #2)
  • Highland Warrior (Murray Family, #9 & MacEnroy, #3)
  • Highland Conqueror (Murray Family, #10)