Start by marking “The Nest” as Want to Read:
The Nest

The Nest

Sixteen-year-old Robin lives with his single father in the Victorian alps where they run a snowmobile hire business. Robin lives in fear of his bullying father and believes that it was his (Robin's) fault that his mother left them when he was a baby, which is why his father hates him and is the cause of all his problems. Robin has a mental condition - a fear of fear. As ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2010 by Bolinda Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Nest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nest

Read_instead
Paul Jennings departure from the curious and quirky is not altogether successful. As an avid reader of Paul Jennings from childhood, I expected more from 'Nest'. Robin is a blank sort of character - I envisioned him in 2D. The motivation for characters behaviour and their connections to each other felt very flimsy. The dark twist the tale took was over too briefly. I found this really disappointing.
Jenna
Mar 12, 2016 Jenna rated it really liked it
Reading this book was like catching up with a childhood friend.

Paul Jennings was one of my favourite authors when I was a kid, so it was wonderful to return to his writing with The Nest, his first book for older readers (it's aimed at older teens). From page one I recognised his distinctive style, and it gave me a feeling of, "Oh, so there you are". Now I want to go dig up and reread my old Jennings collection, even though I'm waaay out of the target demographic.

But let's talk about The Nest. It
Komal
Jun 07, 2014 Komal rated it it was ok
I decided to read this book because I wanted a short read for the long weekend and I have read really funny and gruesome books by Paul Jennings before.
The setting of the story was definitely interesting for me because it was set in a cold, snowy and desolate area and I haven't read a book with that type of setting yet.
I also liked the character 'Verushka' as soon as she was mentioned because she is a strong minded and beautiful girl. She is adored and has a seductive cling about her. I also li
Josephine
Sep 08, 2013 Josephine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sakura-medal
This story starts out with a passage that you do not understand. Throughout the novel the author refers back to this passage, and little by little you start to understand it more. In that sense I think this novel is unique. The main character is kind of dark and full of flaws, but I think because of that we can connect to him more easily. My favorite part of this novel was reading the short stories the main character wrote, because he was actually writing metaphors about the actual plot, and the ...more
John Smith
Jan 30, 2015 John Smith rated it liked it
I liked it, it was a good read. I read it all in about 3 hours, so it's not a long book, about 300 pages I think. I'm not sure if it was meant to be relatable, but it was for me. Not a lot of character development, it was more plot driven. The main character was a writer so the book was littered with the mc's stories, which subconsciously reflected him as a person, which made for some interesting plot development.
Kareena
Jun 29, 2013 Kareena rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed after reading this book. I was expecting the humor and well written characters that appear in all of his other stories but there is none. It lacks humor and the characters seem shallow and quick to judge. Two stars because it's Paul Jennings but as a word of advice for him, please stick to childrens stories. They're more popular then you might think.
Jess - The Tales Compendium
Jan 29, 2012 Jess - The Tales Compendium rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie, contemporary
Jennings' first attempt at young adult fiction is beautifully written and intriguing. It is dark and philosophical and examines relationships, personal demons and the emotionally grey areas of life. It is about the past and how essential it is to know the truth, no matter how painful it may be. Ages 15+
Dawn
Jul 16, 2011 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly amazing read. The story flowed easily and the characters were believable.
This story touched a lot of personal chords and gave me much needed insight into my own thoughts and actions.
Brilliant! Mr Jennings! Just brilliant!
Emily
May 20, 2016 Emily rated it liked it
Read it for an english assignment and it was really hard to like in the beginning but I got sucked in at the end and it was quite a nice read, but still difficult to get into, most likely because of my reading preferences.
Alison
Apr 06, 2012 Alison rated it liked it
I found this disturbing, and the female characters were cardboard cutouts. The handling of mental illness was done well, through story, but the story always felt humorous somehow, like the character wasn't being taken seriously
Josiah
Feb 17, 2012 Josiah rated it it was amazing
If you liked Jonathan Maberry's Bad Moon Rising and Stephen King's Bag Of Bones you will love this book!
Morningdew_C
Mar 12, 2014 Morningdew_C rated it it was amazing
Thanks to this book I found my most favourite genres in reading books! I just love how the romance in this book develops overtime. A book you may want to read if your into romance genres.
Laura rated it it was ok
Feb 09, 2016
Madi Pedder
Madi Pedder rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2014
Kim St
Kim St rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Mic
Mic rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Mar 29, 2014
Shea
Shea rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Marissa Qistina
Marissa Qistina rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2014
Hanna Nie
Hanna Nie rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Ange
Ange rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Katrina
Katrina rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Sam baker
Sam baker rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2015
out of book ideas
out of book ideas rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Wendy Bridges
Wendy Bridges rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Madison Mclaren
Madison Mclaren rated it it was ok
May 05, 2015
Theo
Theo rated it really liked it
May 26, 2015
~katie~
~katie~ rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Most Awesome ...: The Nest 1 3 Jan 20, 2013 06:56PM
  • Black Painted Fingernails
  • Things You Either Hate or Love
  • Dangerously Placed
  • Checkers
  • Swerve
  • The Museum's Secret (The Remarkable Adventures of Tom Scatterhorn, Book 1)
  • Little Sister
  • Wavelength
  • Doctor Who: The Jade Pyramid
  • Alaska
  • Somebody's Crying
Paul Jennings was born in Heston near London, and at the age of 6 emigrated to Melbourne, Australia on a boat. He was on the boat for 5 weeks with his family. He attended Bentleigh West Primary School and Caulfield Grammar School.

After graduating from school, he went to Frankston Teachers College (now part of Monash University) and became a teacher. He taught students at Frankston State School, Ka
More about Paul Jennings...