Start by marking “Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes” as Want to Read:
Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes

Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes (Moxy Maxwell #2)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  301 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Here's the second book in the hilarious Moxy Maxwell series, which includes Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart little and Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano. It isn't as though Moxy isn’t grateful for her Christmas presents. She is. She’s just not thrilled that she has to write a thank-you note for each one by tomorrow . . . or she will not be allowed to fly to ...more
Published August 12th 2008 by Schwartz & Wade (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes

Katy
Apr 06, 2009 Katy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved Moxy Maxwell does not Love Stewart Little, so I was excited to get my hands on this one. However, instead of cute (mostly) innocent ways of getting out of something (like in the first), Moxy is bratty and destructive. Does anyone really believe that a nine year old would think it was a good idea to spray paint thank you on a piece of paper? And, not recognize she had gone off the paper and written it across the wall? Seriously?

I would still highly recommend the first one, but would proba
laurie

This is my first Moxy Maxwell book, picked up at the library in the specially marked Christmas books section. My first thought was, 'How ironically appropriate,' recalling dreading the 'thank you' notes task after Christmas gifts were very excitedly received. And why I immediately liked Moxy. As I kept reading, I then intensely disliked her.

Instead of being amusing and childlike she became obnoxious, childish, entitled, bratty, and bossy in her treatment of family and close friends. Oh, right.
Amy Brown
2nd-4th grade. Loved the first one. Couldn't get through the second one. I just wanted her to write her thank you cards!
Amy
It's the day after Christmas, and Moxy Maxwell has to finish all 12 of her thank-you notes before she leaves on her trip to visit her father in California. Writing 12 thank-you notes will take 12 gajillion years, though, so Moxy hatches a little plan to make the process go faster. Unfortunately, her plan goes awry in more ways than one, and, predictably, makes a huge mess and takes way more time than just writing them out. To top it all off, her father cancels the trip, which totally ruins Moxy' ...more
Laura Salas
Tasha
Aug 12, 2008 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Moxy returns in splendid style in this second book. This time she is stuck writing twelve thank-you notes after Christmas. She has to have them done by today, or her mother has threatened her with not going to see her father in California. And Moxy knows that if she goes to California, she will be discovered and become famous. As the time ticks by despite Moxy's best intentions, her ideas for finishing the thank-you's get more and more wild. Expect hilarity and slapstick galore.

Moxy is a fabulou
Sheryl
Grade 3–5—Eager to avoid the procrastination problems that occurred in Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little (Random, 2007), this resourceful protagonist has promised her mother that she'll finish her holiday thank-you notes by the day after Christmas. Part of the rush is due to the fact that she and her twin, Mark, have been invited to visit their father in California and to attend a Big New Year's Eve Star-Studded Hollywood Bash. Moxy is a year older, but not necessarily wiser, than in the ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

If you hate writing thank-you notes, then you will want to read about Moxy Maxwell. She is under the pressure of a deadline to write her Christmas thank yous, and it's driving her crazy.

Moxy and her twin brother, Mark, are excited about their upcoming trip to Hollywood. They are going to visit their father, who is considered to be a "big mover and shaker" in the Hollywood scene. They haven't seen him in three years, a fact that gre
Abby Johnson
Aug 19, 2008 Abby Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moxy Maxwell had a great Christmas. She got lots of nice gifts and soon she and her brother Mark are going to Hollywood to spend a whole week with their dad! Moxy and Mark haven't seen him in three years, so Moxy is understandably looking forward to it. Not to mention her plans for being "discovered" and catapulting into superstardom while she's there.

There's only one problem with this plan. Mrs. Maxwell says that Moxy has to get her thank-you notes written before she leaves for California. Moxy
Becky
Oct 16, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gifford, Peggy. 2008. Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank You Notes. Illustrated by Valorie Fisher.

I loved, loved, loved the first Moxy Maxwell book, Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little. And this one, the second one, has been on my wish list for over eight months. Moxy is a girl after my own heart.

This book opens several months after the close of the first one. It is Christmas vacation, and Moxy Maxwell has plans--big plans, of course--for how she wants to spend her vacation. And guess
babyhippoface
I was a big fan of Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little. Maybe because I'm not that big a fan of his, either, or maybe because I always hated being told what I had to read when. Either way, Moxy cracked me up and I was really looking forward to this sequel.

Bummer. This time around, I found Moxy to be completely annoying and in dire need of a good spanking. It's only 12 thank you notes, for corn's sake. Just write 'em and get it over with, brat!

In her debut, Moxy's disobedience was manifest
Corinne
Oh Moxy. We loved you in your first book and we were so happy to spend some time with you again. My eight year old daughter and I loved your wise-cracking nature and your crazy ideas. You're certainly a sympathetic character, what with all your mom demands of you (those darn thank you notes...), your silly little sister and kooky Grandma. Your antics had us laughing out loud, especially the copy machine episode. Your brother's photographs added excitment to the story and sometimes your chapter h ...more
Christa
Oct 25, 2010 Christa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK -- so we read the 1st book on the way down to the BYU v. Florida State game. (We lost bad, but it was still fun. I think going to the BYU games is one of the things we miss most about living in Provo.) Anyway -- we read the 2nd book out loud on the drive back to Georgia. We thought the 1st book was good and this book was even better and more hilarious. (This also could've been because we weren't sleeping that great -- due to hotel beds, but more due to the fact that we were all in the same ro ...more
Salsabrarian
Narrated by Clea Lewis. Sequel to "MM Does Not Love Stuart Little." Once again, instead of buckling down to the task, Moxy finds the most roundabout (and comically destructive) way to accomplish a dreaded task, in this case writing her Christmas thank-you notes.
Allison
Gifford, Peggy Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Writing Thank-you Notes 176 pgs. Schwartz & Wade ~Language G, Sexual Content~G Violence~G

In her 2nd Moxy Maxwell novel, Gifford presents us with a girl who is bound and determined to get out of writing the 13 thank you notes for the Christmas presents she received. Her mother has given her an ultimatum. She must finish them all “today” or there will be consequences!
As readers familiar with Moxy will guess, she comes up with the most ‘creative’ ways t
Catherine
Sep 14, 2013 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some other reviwers have commented that they liked the first Moxy Maxwell book much more than this. I agree that this book was less interesting for me, but it has made me wonder if it is just that your first Moxy Maxwell experience is unique enough to be above the subsequent books. I read Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano first, and I enjoyed it so much! Maybe I was taken in by the hilarious one-of-a-kind quality of Moxy. One thing that I love about the books is that there is no ne ...more
Timberley Mouat
Her dad and mom broke up and the dad lives in a another state. She lives with her mom and she has a younger brother. Last year at Chirstmas she did not finish her thank you cards,so she told her mom that she will finish them this year.

A year later it was Chirstmas.While her mom was going to go to the grocery store, Moxy wanted to come but her mom said no because she had to finish her thank you cards.

By the way these are new cards she did not have to finish them last year. While her mom was ou
edh
Sep 04, 2009 edh rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I heard about this series and although it was an interesting premise (basically anecdotes from one day-in-the-life of titular Moxy) I didn't really think it lived up to the hype. Although the story arc was believable, the light-hearted and breezy storytelling didn't match its gravity. (Moxy & brother end up being denied a trip to see their father, now divorced from their mother, b/c he has blown them off for a "big Hollywood opportunity.") I think that this writing style works best when the ...more
Janni
Mostly I loved this one too, especially with the way it managed to keep the voice of the first book (with its humor and its realness) while touching on the deeper issue of the protagonist's absent dad.

I did feel like there was slightly less energy than in the first book--almost as if the style of the first had been polished and refined very slightly overmuch, and so something was lost along the way. Or maybe that was just that, having read the first book, this one was close enough to its structu
Kathryn Carlsen
Mar 22, 2015 Kathryn Carlsen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
I thought this novel was a good book to give to readers who need a little extra help. I think young readers, girls especially, would enjoy this book. This novel is very true to life and the way it is written is definitely from the perspective of a child. I think that young girls could relate to it and enjoy it. I also really loved how photographs were included in the story to help move it along and give you a visual of what was going on. I think this was an easy enough read for students who are ...more
Eva Mitnick
Sep 03, 2008 Eva Mitnick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Moxy, who never does anything the ordinary, sensible, or easy way, turns the writing of 13 thank-you notes into An Event that results in a broken La-Z-Boy, 473 identical form letters, and the letters "HANK YOU" spray-painted in gold on the living room wall (the "T" ends up on a 6-year-old boy) - and this all happens in about an hour or so. Good old Moxy.

Easy to read, with short chapters, funny chapter headings, plenty of white space, and appropriately kid-like photos taken by Moxy's twin brother
Mar 24, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do enjoy Moxy Maxwell and her quirky updated Ramona personality, but prefer the first book. Am I over-reacting by having it bother me that Moxy aspires to be a Hollywood star that adopts 17 starving children, or that there is a shout out to Star/US Weekly/People magazine? I think most third/fourth graders, to whom this series is geared, won't get the reference and it feels unnecessary. I would prefer the series to be more timeless, as I do think overall the character of Moxy has vast kid appea ...more
Joenna
Ten-year-old Moxy Maxwell has promised to write twelve thank-you notes by the day after Christmas so that she and her twin brother Mark can go to Hollywood to visit their father, but all her brilliant ideas to help finish the task more efficiently end up creating chaos in the house.

I'm trying really hard to like the character of Moxy but I can't. She seems so selfish and kind of a bully. The ending redeemed her character, but for the majority of the book I really didn't like her.
Heidi
Apr 27, 2009 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 8-12
Shelves: juv-fiction
In this sequel of Moxy Maxwell, she has to write 12 thank-you notes by December 26th in order to visit her father in Hollywood. But leave it to Moxy to take a simple task and turn it into a chaotic result. A very creative character.

I must admit that I loved the first book, "Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little". I would definitely read that one first before this sequel. This book just didn't grab me in like the first one.
Gwen the Librarian
This sequel to Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little is not nearly as fun and doesn't really work as well. It's sad...deals with divorce in a poignant way...made my stomach clench up almost the whole book because MOXY COULD GET IN TROUBLE! As the former child filled with fear of punishment, all these child protagonists who don't follow the rules just make me soooo nervous and this was one of the worst. Judge for yourselves.
Leigh
Moxy's mother is a saint. Moxy Maxwell won't read her book assignment (previous title in the series) and now won't write 12 thank you notes. Honestly, Moxy is a really irritating kid and she's hard to like. The books are well written and each character feels real but honestly, just write the freakin' notes and move on! Geez. Like I said, Moxy's mother is a saint to not totally lose her cool with her.
Jenny
Aug 18, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 3rd /4th grades
Okay another Moxy book. Fast humorous story only this time ten year old Moxy is doing everything possible to not have to write one more thank you note before going to Hollywood to visit her Dad over Christmas break!! She even turns down gifts!!! Through all her escapades and her feeling her mother is unfair to her she writes probably one of the best notes of her life though. I loved this book!!
Aaron
Sep 22, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christa read this to us on the way back from our trip to Tallahassee, and I liked it even better than Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little. It was laugh-out-loud funny ("HANK YOU") and very touching at the end (To what lengths of self sacrifice will a mother go to protect the feelings of her child?). I'm actually going to give this one four stars.
B
J The second in the Moxy Maxwell series where we continue to learn more about this Junie B Jones type of girl. This time, Moxy wastes way too much time trying to find an easier way to write 12 Christmas thank you notes before traveling to Hollywood to see her father. Like in the last book, things don't work out quite as she hopes.
Karin
Aug 08, 2008 Karin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlegrade, funny
Not quite as clever as the first one, but using the same format & techniques (short chapters, b&w photos as illustrations). This time Moxy has promised to write 12 thank you notes by the day after xmas so that she can go visit her father in Hollywood. She procrastinates and causes chaos and learns a lesson in the end.
  • Piper Reed, The Great Gypsy (Piper Reed #2)
  • Oggie Cooder
  • Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing)
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic  (Toys, #2)
  • Allergic to Girls, School, and Other Scary Things (Alvin Ho, #1)
  • Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School
  • Keeping Score
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
  • Medusa Jones
  • Attack of the Growling Eyeballs
  • God and Football: Faith and Fanaticism in the SEC
  • Camille McPhee Fell Under the Bus ...
  • On The Road
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea for Two
  • Happy Birthday, Madame Chapeau

Moxy Maxwell (3 books)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Practicing the Piano: But She Does Love Being in Recitals (Moxy Maxwell, #3)